Apple TV 4 want list

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There's a rumor out and about that the next AppleTV may include full blown AirPort Express abilities and maybe a TV tuner...

pftaylor

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I humbly want Apple to make the TV experience simple and easy to locate "real" content. Content like live sports and news in addition to filler channels that they have been adding lately. What is simple & easy? Don't really know until Apple unveils it hopefully this year.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
1. Better codec/container support. Mkv, mp4, mpeg, wmv, avi, xvid, dts, ac3, srt in many containers, etc. (i don't recall all it supports now but failure in this area is why i don't own one).
2. Faster navigation. Up the processor like the Amazon Fire TV did. Don't be laggy.
3. App store so better apps can be made and added, like xbmc, plex, google play and all the stuff people really want like say spotify, beats, or whatever. allow it to compete with roku.
4. USB ports to attach my upcoming 4TB drive directly.
5. Multiple interface skins or themes so to speak.
6. a remote for people with man hands would be nice.
7. General ability to customize. Not a take it or leave it solution for people that only use one thing, one way or one app. Some people may not want giant candy icons. Me i think simple minimalistic lists are kinda nice for the home page.

In general i'd hope apple tried to make the best device for consumers not what it has recently been doing by trying to make the best apple delivery device aimed at the people currently beholden to the Apple ecosystem. I have no problem with an Apple device that makes it easy to buy things from Apple. But don't ignore other feature in hopes that i'll just take it. I won't. I'll just choose something else. Like i know you want to rent me movies but don't make it hard for me to play my own content. Don't skimp on usb ports that I used to plug in my storage. Don't make it have less or inadequate compatibility with usb drives vs networked drives. The mantra is "it just works." It should just work better an any other device whether i'm buying from apple or not or using icloud or not.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I humbly want Apple to make the TV experience simple and easy to locate "real" content. Content like live sports and news in addition to filler channels that they have been adding lately. What is simple & easy? Don't really know until Apple unveils it hopefully this year.

sports on a set top box tend to be largely dependent on the people that produce the games allowing it. Apple doesn't really have much to do with it. Like ESPN produces Monday Night football. It's their choice as to whether they allow people to stream a game over a set top box like apple tv. In fact typically, The NFL sells the broadcast rights to the games, for example monday night football, and it sells the right to broadcast on tv and the right to stream digitally over the internet. ESPN (and every other network) has to buy both rights. Now typically they do because it's worth the cost. But they don't have to. Now ESPN can give it away the right to stream free to every cable network it has a deal with or it can sell it to the networks as part of a package. ESPN sells it to cable companies and if they buy it you can stream that stuff live in the ESPN app. But Apple's not in that equation other than providing a place to put an ESPN App or cutting a deal with ESPN to make an app.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My Wishlist isn't based in reality but these are the things I'd like to see:

1. Gary Busey in the Ad.

2. Siri built into the remote and unit.

3. Safari

4. Third party sdk. Would love news, weather and other apps. A spotify app would be killer.

5. TiVo like functionality.

6. Internal storage.

7. Better ui/ux

8. Remote with a keyboard. Like boxee's.

9. Better iPhone/iPad companion app. Current app sucks so hard.

10. 802.11ac

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My list:

-Completely redesign the UI.
-More RAM
-A8 Chip
-CableCard input with TiVo like service and recording abilities.
-Ability to connect to other apple tv's to share recorded content
-Safari.
-App Store for Apple TV
-Ability to delete built in crap i'll never use instead of just hiding it.
-Better remote, maybe with a keyboard.
-Completely new Remote iOS app
-802.11ac
-FaceTime
-Search (Local, Google, Wikipedia, IMDB)
-Siri

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
My list:

-Completely redesign the UI.
-More RAM
-A8 Chip
-CableCard input with TiVo like service and recording abilities.
-Ability to connect to other apple tv's to share recorded content
-Safari.
-App Store for Apple TV
-Ability to delete built in crap i'll never use instead of just hiding it.
-Better remote, maybe with a keyboard.
-Completely new Remote iOS app
-802.11ac
-FaceTime
-Search (Local, Google, Wikipedia, IMDB)
-Siri

This is exactly my want list as well, but you just added a few more thing I never thought of until just now! :)

nutmac

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My wish is a bit tame as I want Apple TV to maintain low cost.

Hardware want list:
  1. 802.11ac
  2. Wi-Fi router (duplicate AirPort Express)
  3. Faster processors and more memory
  4. H.265 HEVC, 4K
  5. HDMI 2.0
  6. Bluetooth remote

Software want list:
  1. App Store
  2. Centralized subscription management
  3. Spotlight search that can search for contents within the apps (apps would obviously need to publish contents)
  4. Beats Music
  5. Better Netflix

KellBrown

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
- A better UI
- New input method (anything has got to be better than we have right now, which is basically a d-pad)
- ability to access networked/connected drives for content
- something like Amazon's X-ray for movies and tv
- FaceTime video remote display
- FaceTime audio remote speaker
- ADD Channel - think Panic's StatusBoard but with the local news/weather/traffic and other configurable widgets as a default screen
- wider licensing for foreign properties (I should be able, especially as a Canadian to get BBC shoes on day and date and not have to wait 6 months). I know that more of an iTunes feature than an TV4 feature but I rarely use iTunes on my Mac now compared to the TV

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I understand this is a slightly late response, what I would like to see is it's own native safari web browser, with that it also must support plug-ins like the normal safari browsers on macs.

JeffPerrin

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Really tired of my disc-based Sony "wait station" and I would love to see Apple's take on large-screen, console-style gaming. Would that mean an App Store for Apple TV? Or just better remote functionality?

Also would love to see upgraded support for surround sound audio. We have 1080p HD iTunes video, but still have DVD-quality audio. Although you can crank up the the Dolby Digital bit rate in Compressor approx. 40% higher than a standard DVD release, I believe it's time to offer a higher level of audio quality more in line with the HD video being offered today. Maybe Dolby Digital Plus? I would really love options for lossless audio codecs. Especially for iTunes music tracks...

We'll see what 2015 brings!

Cheers!

Carole Shelton

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
im new to researching the apple tv

my needs are for remote access to nextflix and comcast during camping useing my Iphone as a hot spot? do you have any info on how well that works?

Jay Imerman

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Bugs? What bugs? I have 2 Apple TV 3rd generation (1 Rev A), a Roku 2XD, and an Amazon Fire Stick. You want to see bugs? Look at the Roku and Amazon. I don't know about Chromecast. But Apple TV's rock. The telling piece of info here, is that my kids profess to like Roku, but never use it. Never. They constantly use Apple TV - it is better for the same things Roku, Fire Stick do, and then you have things they don't do.

Jay Imerman

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What I don't see anywhere, and this would be HUGE with a capital H:

I want to see the ability to accessorize Apple TV with an integrated switch box. Imagine, you buy one or more HDMI "hubs" that you mate to your Apple TV. Then, when you hook a device to one of the hub inputs, you give it a name. So you hook up one and call it "XBox One" - another and call it "Blu Ray Player", yet another "Cable TV". Then, you go to the "Inputs" App on Apple TV, and can switch between them.

Better yet, what if the HDMI cable was 2-way? So if the device you hook up is "Apple TV Ready", then you can use your Apple TV Remote App on your iPhone or iPad to control the device - pause, play, rewind, ff, menu, up, down, left, right, Enter, etc. I can foresee a whole new world of possibilities open up - and I no longer have to fudge around with a hokey series of dumb third-party switchbox hookups. Why limit to HDMI? There should also be a hub supporting HDMI conversion from analog formats. And, let's say a hub only supports, say 4 inputs, and you use them all up. Simply buy another one and mate it to the same Apple TV, and you are done. It should just work. More inputs, dynamically expandable.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox