Would you buy an Apple iTV television?

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My tv now is good. When it eventually dies I will have to decide if apple has a better product than some of the Samsung at the time since Samsung had impressed me after seeing my buddy's tv.

END

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
It will depend on how good the quality is compared to what else will be out there, and what our needs will be at that time. Currently, we are pretty well set up with HDTV's.

:)

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
5K would price me out of the market. You can get "connected" TVs for much less, and that is the route I would go. Right now I have a Roku on my 42 inch, and seriously considered the AppleTV box also, BUT ultimately Roku had a better sale at the time.

I LOVE the concept of a connected TV, and it certainly makes sense for Apple to get in to it. BUT I can get a Samsung, or Sony for much less. :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If I was in the market for a new tv, sure I'd consider it. Would I run out to buy a tv just because Apple made it, nope.

Fixxy

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
If Apple released a TV with a display higher than the 1080p standard, and allow for external devices to connect, I would definitely be interested. Not for $5K though.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Considering I got a Sony 46" LCD Bravia in the last 6 months, had Apple TV 2 and just upgraded to the Apple TV 3... Probably wouldn't get the first gen Apple iTV... Would wait for sure

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Be cool if iMore had a contest and gave one away. That's the only shot I got at getting one! LOL

is iTV and Apple TV the same thing
which is really just a local area network shared "server"?

No they are NOT the same thing, BUT they are similar. AppleTV is a set top box that brings internet TV channels to any HD TV. It's similar to GoogleTV, Roku, Boxee, etc. It allows you to watch Hulu, Netflix, Crackle, etc right on your TV. You just connect your wireless network (or use an ethernet cable) to the AppleTV box and then the box connects to your TV, via HDMI. Apple iTV is an actual TV with the ability to connect to the Internet built right in, it will give you access to the same stuff that AppleTV does and possibly more, as we don't have all the info yet on this upcoming rumored product.

Last edited:

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Nope, sure wouldn't. Im perfectly happy with my panasonic plasma and Sony LCD. As long as they keep making the hockey puck Apple TV I'll be happy. I'm sorry but I'm not paying what Apple would charge for a TV. I don't have an issue paying a premium for my MBPs but not a TV.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If Apple released a TV with a display higher than the 1080p standard, and allow for external devices to connect, I would definitely be interested. Not for $5K though.

For what use though? Content higher than 1080P is scarce at best. For right now it's a lot if extra expense with little to no gain. 4k is coming but it's not quite ready for the mass public.

tlbaker1

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I shudder at the thought of lining up every year to buy a $5K Apple iTV television the way I currently buy iPhone and iPad devices.

I'm hoping Apple knows the cycle will have to be different, but I'm also a huge fan of their technology so the idea of getting a *better* television entices me...

What about you, would you buy one?

I'd have to win lotto to buy this and refresh every year. At that price point do you think they would actually refresh every 6-12 mos. at that price point? And it WILL be 5K, no doubt.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB
iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

tlbaker1

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to win lotto to buy this and refresh every year. At that price point do you think they would actually refresh every 6-12 mos. at that price point? And it WILL be 5K, no doubt.

And then I'd have a bunch of TVs stacked up in my apt??? Lol.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The iTV would go completely out of Apple's comfort zone. People simply don't upgrade their tvs every time a new model comes out - they usually get 3-5 years of use out of them before they get a new one, and then only because it dies. It totally cuts across Apple's grain.

Also the initial capital to get the ball rolling for production would be pretty astronomical I would think.

Apple would be asking an awful lot of the consumer to put out 5000.00+ on a tv, cause you know they ain't gonna be cheap.

And lastly, like someone else said, a tv is not an interactive device. To make it one would result in failure. My Panasonic is internet capable, but I never use it in that way - the only thing I have it connected to the net for is firmware updates.

Chad_Mobley

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Really? Why would anyone expect for us to buy a new TV every year? Apple sells and refreshes Macs each year, do you really buy a new Mac every time a new model comes out?! No. So the idea that the iTV is completely out of Apple comfort zone is simply absurd.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73