How do you turn off Apple TV 2?

Bballbenb

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I see the sleep now button but is it bad for ATV2 to just click that at nights or do you need to actually unplug it? Just want my ATV2 to last as long as it can!! Thanks.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for over a year... never unplugged them at all, except to restart them when something went wrong. In fact, I have sleep disabled because I have had problems with them not waking up properly.

No need to worry about it... sleep (or not) is fine. They are very low power devices when not actively being used.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I just set to sleep after 15 min but sometime it is a pain to wake them up

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

sofryj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Here is something interesting. I used to have a hard time waking up mine as well. I actually found the remote to be kind of unresponsive in general, but the worst when it came to waking up the unit. Well, someone in the house lost the remote....couldn't find it anywhere. I finally went online, ebay I think, and ordered a new one, it was cheap enough. When the new one showed up, I noticed it looked a little different that the original. Battery went in the bottom instead of the back, and it was white instead of silver. This new remote works WAY FRIGGIN BETTER!! Wakes up my Apple TV right away, no problems. So, I don't know what that was all about, but seems like there was a quiet remote change you might want to look into......and it was pretty cheap. I don't think it cost me more than ten dollars or so......

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine works perfectly. I just leave it on, and after I shut my TV off, it sleeps about 20 minutes later. The current draw on it is so low, who cares if it even runs all day long?
sofryj, my remote that came with my ATV2 has the battery on the bottom, and is silver. I wonder if they updated it recently? I wished ATV used a Bluetooth remote like the Roku uses, that eliminates a LOT of problems. I could be in the next room and pause my Roku-doesn't need the line of sight the ATV2 does.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Here is something interesting. I used to have a hard time waking up mine as well. I actually found the remote to be kind of unresponsive in general, but the worst when it came to waking up the unit. Well, someone in the house lost the remote....couldn't find it anywhere. I finally went online, ebay I think, and ordered a new one, it was cheap enough. When the new one showed up, I noticed it looked a little different that the original. Battery went in the bottom instead of the back, and it was white instead of silver. This new remote works WAY FRIGGIN BETTER!! Wakes up my Apple TV right away, no problems. So, I don't know what that was all about, but seems like there was a quiet remote change you might want to look into......and it was pretty cheap. I don't think it cost me more than ten dollars or so......

That remote is the OLD one... from the original AppleTV and older Apple devices (Mac, Mac Mini, iPod, etc). That one was replaced by the taller, slimmer brushed aluminum model...

Old Remote
apple-remote-kpb-460.jpg

New Remote
apple-remote-2nd-gen-s78-460.jpg

Last edited:

sofryj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
That remote is the OLD one... from the original AppleTV and older Apple devices (Mac, Mac Mini, iPod, etc). That one was replaced by the taller, slimmer brushed aluminum model...

Well, I can tell you from my experience.....the old remote works great on the AppleTV2, and the new one, at least the one I had, sucks a$$.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjkradel