Is iTunes Match worth the money?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If your music library consists of a lot of music you ripped from CDs a long time ago, match will allow you to get "iTunes" quality versions of your ripped music that may be of lesser quality... For me, it was worh it just for that.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
For me it is! I rarely connect my devices to my computer because I'm always on the go. So having access to all my music on any device I log into is definitely a plus & well worth the money.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with both comments above. I like having access to all my music without having to put it on the device. I also had a lot of older CDs that were upgraded.

Sent using Tapatalk

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
For me it is. Since I don't want to keep large numbers of songs on my devices on the off chance I'll be in a particular mood to listen to a certain genre, it allows me to download any song in my collection when the mood strikes.

Blue Shift

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I find it worth the price now; I have a substantial collection, which would be difficult to keep in sync between work and home. This way, I have access at work to my whole library.

It would be even more worth the money whenever Apple gets around to releasing iTunes Radio in Canada :/

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Because it allows me to keep 20,000+ songs on all my devices without needing 300GB of space I don't have.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Because it allows me to keep 20,000+ songs on all my devices without needing 300GB of space I don't have.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
How will you ever find the time to listen to 20,000 different songs? If you started listening to each song 24/7 with no sleep back to back, it would take you more than 55 days to hear each song. Thought I'd put it in perspective. :)

Sent from from my iPhone 5

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
How will you ever find the time to listen to 20,000 different songs? If you started listening to each song 24/7 with no sleep back to back, it would take you more than 55 days to hear each song. Thought I'd put it in perspective. :)

You totally miss the point. It's not about the math of how long it would take to listen to 20K songs. Everyone has different methods of listening to music. For me, it's not about listening to all 20K songs, but having the variety of not knowing the next song and how it will surprise me, since my collection is spread across many genres.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You totally miss the point. It's not about the math of how long it would take to listen to 20K songs. Everyone has different methods of listening to music. For me, it's not about listening to all 20K songs, but having the variety of not knowing the next song and how it will surprise me, since my collection is spread across many genres.

I love this explanation, that's why I just put my library on shuffle any time I'm at my computer

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It's the wide choice at all times that is the game changer..

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Is iTunes Match worth the money?

It depends on what you want.

For me. No. I get the exact same for free from Google Play music.

I have no music bought from Itunes. I built my cd collection long before itunes existed. I also live in an area where reception is spotty so it's not remotely feasible to try and rely on the cloud only to stream music all day because you're data connection is constantly dropping and reconnecting. Not to mention I can name many a store where i lose data once i'm a third of the way into the store. Buffering on any service (google play, pandora, Tunein, beats etc) is unbearable at times because I often lose connection. For me nothing beats local storage thus i have 64GB drive full of music and I don't understand why my 5 year old ipod holds more at 80gbs but that's apple. But Google play works for me great as a free backup to me. I have no interest in paying more money for this especially since i rarely rarely ever use it.

If you bought all your music from itunes or simply don't care about paying any associated fees then I think it probably can fit your needs. I think it all depends on what you want and what you're comfortable taking out of your wallet.

Last edited:

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

You don't have to listen to 20,000 songs. The point is at any time you can listen to any one of the 20,000 songs you fancy. You have choice. And if, like me you've spent decades accumulating a music collection, though elementary school, high school and college and life, And only toss/sell back the albums you really don't like you accumulate a large collection. Plus i almost never buy albums i don't love. Stuff i bought where often the hot artists at the time and normally they endured. And i've numerous times gone and culled albums that i had but never really liked and knew i wouldn't listen to much and my collection is still over 24k songs. And now I rarely find something I think is deleteable. And there's no filler in it. It's about choice and options. It's why i don't need pandora or spotify. My collection is better than what most of those services have especially when you get into stuff like underground or old underground hip-hop. You search for some albums and get nothing or the wrong artist cause pandora's never heard of the artist. Just the other day i remember being in the car and thinking, I want to hear Outkast "So Fresh, So Clean." And i had it right there on my phone and for me i had it local but it could be in the cloud. And then i was in a mood for going back to the early 90s R&B and i was playing some some Guy and some Johnny Gill, etc. Whatever suits my fancy at the moment. Now I almost never get the urge to hear a song from the past that I liked back in the day that I don't already own. I'm my own spotify. I have huge choice because it's 30+ years of music accumulation.

Last edited:

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I love this explanation, that's why I just put my library on shuffle any time I'm at my computer

Then you end up playing random unrelated songs that don't go together. The ex DJ in me can't stand that. when i'm in the mood for hip-hop i don't always want to play hear the next song be Maceo Parker or Van Halen. I get in the mood to hear a specific song or album and i play it. Plus the DJ part of me needs the songs to flow even within the same genre, Like it'll be rare that i follow Common Sense with MC Hammer. And man weird stuff like that happens when you put it on shuffle.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Then you end up playing random unrelated songs that don't go together. The ex DJ in me can't stand that. when i'm in the mood for hip-hop i don't always want to play hear the next song be Maceo Parker or Van Halen. I get in the mood to hear a specific song or album and i play it. Plus the DJ part of me needs the songs to flow even within the same genre, Like it'll be rare that i follow Common Sense with MC Hammer. And man weird stuff like that happens when you put it on shuffle.
That's why I like playlists. I can shuffle a bunch of same type music, then switch to a playlist of another type.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think paying 20 dollars or so per year for iTunes Match is really good money to have your music always available for streaming, if you have an internet connection.

anon(5882673)

May 12, 2014
Visit site
No is not, worst service ever, its a pain in the a** to upload your library to the cloud ( it will get stuck in matching your library, then you habe to start the process again, it will hang on step 1, and you have to spend half of the day trying to get it to work, if you get to step three and it starts uploading, it will stop for no reason) if you get lucky and at least 40 percent of your library gets uploaded , whenever you play the songs, they will skip, and half of them dont even play, i hope they get it right with itunes match, because is really annoying

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No is not, worst service ever, its a pain in the a** to upload your library to the cloud ( it will get stuck in matching your library, then you habe to start the process again, it will hang on step 1, and you have to spend half of the day trying to get it to work, if you get to step three and it starts uploading, it will stop for no reason) if you get lucky and at least 40 percent of your library gets uploaded , whenever you play the songs, they will skip, and half of them dont even play, i hope they get it right with itunes match, because is really annoying
Do you have any proof whatsoever that what you described happens to everyone who uses iTunes Match?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen