Apple Pay Transaction Question...

lyingfromyou

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
I tried to use my Apple Watch to pay for lunch yesterday at Chic-fil-a. I activated the payment feature on the watch and held it near the reader, but it was taking forever! Eventually the watch vibrated then said done! The cashier told me the transaction didn't go through, so my wife used another card until I could verify that I wasn't actually charged... Of course I checked my account (Navy Federal) and no pending transactions were showing.

I figured since it was my first attempt at a transaction with Apple Pay that I'd try again at The Hallmark Store in the mall. The cashier said "that was neat" and then handed me a receipt. I have been checking my Apple Wallet & bank account since yesterday afternoon and still have nothing pending on either end...

How long does Apple Pay take to charge my card on file? And what can I do in the future to avoid these hiccups?? I'm a little concerned about how long it is taking to show up in Apple Pay and or on my bank account.....

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My watch acts like my phone for the most part. Messages and speed seem to depend on the payment network or merchant. When I haven't seen the a message soon I've logged into my card issuer's app to see pending charges.

We've changed cards recently and in the past year. That changed how responsive, how fast, and the messages. All have given me the Apple Pay confirmation or sale confirmation at the retailers. A Chase Visa we cancelled always seems to be best with how fast and how much it reported to the phone Apple Pay app.

One early hiccup I had was not doing a good enough job aiming the watch's glass to the PIN pad or reader.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried to use my Apple Watch to pay for lunch yesterday at Chic-fil-a. I activated the payment feature on the watch and held it near the reader, but it was taking forever! Eventually the watch vibrated then said done! The cashier told me the transaction didn't go through, so my wife used another card until I could verify that I wasn't actually charged... Of course I checked my account (Navy Federal) and no pending transactions were showing.

I figured since it was my first attempt at a transaction with Apple Pay that I'd try again at The Hallmark Store in the mall. The cashier said "that was neat" and then handed me a receipt. I have been checking my Apple Wallet & bank account since yesterday afternoon and still have nothing pending on either end...

How long does Apple Pay take to charge my card on file? And what can I do in the future to avoid these hiccups?? I'm a little concerned about how long it is taking to show up in Apple Pay and or on my bank account.....

I use Pay almost daily without any problems. The hiccups you're referring to is probably from the side of the retailer. Paying with Pay is fast in my experience. The Food Lion grocery chain recently implemented Pay and there was a guy in front of me who opted to pay for his groceries via Pay, but it took him a few tries to get it to work. He was using his iPhone, by the way. Anyway, when I paid for my groceries using Pay, the process was quick. They require you to enter your PIN, but that's the retailer' requirement and not Pay's. As for how quickly the transaction shows up in the Wallet app, heck, it's almost instantaneous - at least it is for me.