Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

Default Is Apple Pay Working for Anyone?

I recently got a 6s Plus, and I set up Apple Pay with two credit cards, three debit cards, and a store card. I tried Apple Pay with the store card at Kohls, and it said "not authorized." When I used the card, it worked fine.

I just tried again with a debit card at Walgreens. Tried twice with Apple Pay. Got the beep, entered my pin, and the screen flashed "not authorized." After two tries, I swiped the card, and it worked fine.

What am I missing here?

Default Re: Is Apple Pay Working for Anyone?

It's been working fine for me. In fact, I just used it at Walgreens today. Have you activated the card for Apple Pay with your bank? You might also want to try removing it in Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
    drummerjb likes this.

I don't know what to tell you. I use Pay frequently, and with the exception of me having a greasy home button, Pay works flawlessly for me. Having said that, initiate the Wallet app, select the card that's giving you problems, and then check to see if it states that it's ready for use or something to that effect.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    I don't know what to tell you. I use Pay frequently, and with the exception of me having a greasy home button, Pay works flawlessly for me. Having said that, initiate the Wallet app, select the card that's giving you problems, and then check to see if it states that it's ready for use or something to that effect.
    They all say "... Is ready for Apple Pay"
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    iMore Newbie

It works fine for me. Try deleting the card from wallet and uploading it again.
    robertk328 likes this.

I used it for some cookies at Subway yesterday (the white chip really are the best)
    qbnkelt likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    7,086 Global Posts

I use with with a credit card frequently at Whole Foods & Subway.
    It's fast.
    Good Luck
    Just_Me_D likes this.

I use it daily and haven't had any issues. Try the suggestion above...delete the cards then add them back.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    4,978 Global Posts

I used Apple Pay yesterday at a grocery store with my Apple Watch and I used it in the Starbucks App today on my iPhone to reload my Starbucks Card. Worked just fine, as always.
    taeisme likes this.

I've had mixed results. Works some of the time, but fails some of the time. At Subway, I put it up to the machine, it buzzed, but it didn't show on the cash register. Tried several times. No go. Never works in McDonald's drive through, but does inside.

Works just fine for me. In fact, just used it at Subway tonight to buy my daughter her dinner.
    iMore Pro

Used it at Panera Bread 3 days ago to test it out. It worked flawlessly.
    Q&A Jedi

Global Posts
    38,857 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    I've had mixed results. Works some of the time, but fails some of the time. At Subway, I put it up to the machine, it buzzed, but it didn't show on the cash register. Tried several times. No go. Never works in McDonald's drive through, but does inside.
    This is my experience, mixed results. Depends on the card, depends on the place, etc. 9 out of 10 times it's just easier to use my card in the traditional way. That being said I LOVE wallet for event tickets, movie, sports, theater, etc THAT works great!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

I've never had a problem with Apple Pay on my phone or watch. i just used it this morning at the grocery. Sorry to hear that you are having issues.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

I think what worries me about it is that it has yet to work. If it were hit or miss, I'd figure it was just flaky, but since it never works in wondering what I'm doing?
    Q&A Jedi

Global Posts
    38,857 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    I think what worries me about it is that it has yet to work. If it were hit or miss, I'd figure it was just flaky, but since it never works in wondering what I'm doing?
    Have you tried different cards? Some banks just don't support it, at least one of mine is in that category (for the record they don't support Android Pay either)
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    Have you tried different cards? Some banks just don't support it, at least one of mine is in that category (for the record they don't support Android Pay either)
    When you try to set it up, it tells you your bank doesn't support Apple Pay (I have one card that is unsupported). I've tried it with a Kohl's card and two debit cards so far. I haven't tried it with one of the other credit cards yet. It's only at the McDonalds and Walgreens in town, and I don't go to either very often.
    Q&A Jedi

Global Posts
    38,857 Global Posts

When you try to set it up, it tells you your bank doesn't support Apple Pay (I have one card that is unsupported). I've tried it with a Kohl's card and two debit cards so far. I haven't tried it with one of the other credit cards yet. It's only at the McDonalds and Walgreens in town, and I don't go to either very often.
    Could something be wrong with your NFC? Maybe take the device to an Apple Store and have them run a diagnostic on it, JUST to be sure. Even if you are out of warranty they likely won't charge you for the diagnostic. And if you ARE under warranty or AppleCare the repair/replacement is free too.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    Could something be wrong with your NFC? Maybe take the device to an Apple Store and have them run a diagnostic on it, JUST to be sure. Even if you are out of warranty they likely won't charge you for the diagnostic. And if you ARE under warranty or AppleCare the repair/replacement is free too.
    That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I know it is actually communicating, since it registers, but the payment part doesn't work.

Check with the card providers that Apple Pay is supported, and your cards have been approved for use with it. Many card providers have a (phone) security setup stage before phone payments can be accepted to the card account.
    Rob Phillips and Ed Boland like this.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Branta View Post
    Check with the card providers that Apple Pay is supported, and your cards have been approved for use with it. Many card providers have a (phone) security setup stage before phone payments can be accepted to the card account.
    Yep, went through that too. Kohl's was one of those. They had to text me a code before it would take it. It was all set up, but still didn't work.

Yep, went through that too. Kohl's was one of those. They had to text me a code before it would take it. It was all set up, but still didn't work.
    I skimmed the thread and didn't see you mention simply trying to remove and then re-add the cards. Have you tried?

OK so work with the card providers to identify where the transaction fails. Your description suggests a positive rejection by the card provider rather than a comms failure. With the history of failures you should be able to find enough detail for a provider to trace at least one of the failed transactions, and a rejection should be in their logs even if only for security. For a guess you will probably have more chance if you are talking to one of the main card processing providers (your bank?) rather than a store card where the processing may be handled by a third party service provider like a bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Branta View Post
    OK so work with the card providers to identify where the transaction fails. Your description suggests a positive rejection by the card provider rather than a comms failure. With the history of failures you should be able to find enough detail for a provider to trace at least one of the failed transactions, and a rejection should be in their logs even if only for security. For a guess you will probably have more chance if you are talking to one of the main card processing providers (your bank?) rather than a store card where the processing may be handled by a third party service provider like a bank.
    THIS. I work for a bank that is also a major issuer of credit cards. We keep records of declined transactions and can even tell customers why they were declined.
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    I skimmed the thread and didn't see you mention simply trying to remove and then re-add the cards. Have you tried?
    No didn't try that. I'm on vacation at the moment, and I haven't seen anywhere that takes Apple Pay here, so I can't test it out here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast