Why doesn't Apple Pay work for me?

rja1966

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I have tried using Apple Pay 4 or 5 times now over the last 4 months, it never works. I've deleted and re-added my card info twice and the last time I tried it even said payment made but the store said it hadn't gone through and I had to pay again using my credit card. (No AP payment was taken on bank statement). I have an iPhone 6 and bank with Nationwide (UK). I haven't contacted my bank or Apple yet but any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since you didn't state the retail location(s) you attempted to use Pay with, are you certain that the establishment(s) supported Pay? Did your iPhone or Watch vibrate indicating a successful payment?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Did your card show up as active in Wallet? The card should show "is ready for Apple Pay".

Also how did you get it to work? Do you have "double click home button" enabled? If so, and your card is activated in Wallet, just hold the phone down to the terminal and double click the home button and it should show your card and then process. It's usually pretty quick!

rja1966

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Since you didn't state the retail location(s) you attempted to use Pay with, are you certain that the establishment(s) supported Pay? Did your iPhone or Watch vibrate indicating a successful payment?

Yes, I actually work at one of the retail outlets and I am sure they take Apple Pay !
TBH I cannot recall now if my phone vibrated or not, I'm pretty sure it did the last time when it stated payment made.

rja1966

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Did your card show up as active in Wallet? The card should show "is ready for Apple Pay".

Also how did you get it to work? Do you have "double click home button" enabled? If so, and your card is activated in Wallet, just hold the phone down to the terminal and double click the home button and it should show your card and then process. It's usually pretty quick!

I've just checked to confirm and yes, both cards that I have registered say they are ready for Apple Pay.
I do have the double click home button enabled but from memory I have just opened the wallet, clicked on the card I want to use (the default one) and whilst holding the phone by the terminal tried to use the fingerprint sensor to pay. After 3 or 4 attempts I usually give up !
The fact that the last time my phone said it had made a payment but the retail outlet said not makes things more confusung.
I'm reluctant to try again as it gets a bit embarrassing !

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure your bank does Pay? I would first call the bank. If all's well there, I would then remove the card. Do a hard reset.
Hold the top or side power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release. Add the card back in.

If that doesn't work, then try Reset All Settings.
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

Last to try would be a restore as new. Not from a back up.

rja1966

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure your bank does Pay? I would first call the bank. If all's well there, I would then remove the card. Do a hard reset.

Yes, Nationwde were one of the first banks in the UK to introduce Apple Pay.
I'll give the hard reset etc. a try, thanks.

I'm looking to purchase a new iPad after next weeks keynote, maybe I'll tell my local Apple Store I'll only purchase it using Apple Pay, It would then be in their interest to help resolve !

Thanks for replying.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Nationwde were one of the first banks in the UK to introduce Apple Pay.
I'll give the hard reset etc. a try, thanks.

I'm looking to purchase a new iPad after next weeks keynote, maybe I'll tell my local Apple Store I'll only purchase it using Apple Pay, It would then be in their interest to help resolve !

Thanks for replying.

Good idea! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods