#SupportApplePay

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok, first RiteAid, now CVS. I am fine with companies not accepting Apple Pay, especially if they don't yet have the hardware. What I can't stand is companies that already have the technology available, and purposefully disable support because they have a financial interest in a competitive product. So, as it is their right to turn off the ability to accept ApplePay, it is my right to go elsewhere. Walgreens has now earned my business.

I've sent a few tweets to CVS with the #SupportApplePay hashtag, and thought I would post here, as the more voices, the louder, and the higher chance we are heard.

Maybe even our Google Wallet using Android brethren fron AndroidCentral will take part in this campaign to #SupportApplePay!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with your campaign, but understand that no company is required to support a particular technology just because it is available, and neither should customers get all up in arms about it. I mean, it wasn't a problem prior to the technology being available so why should it be a problem now?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with your campaign, but understand that no company is required to support a particular technology just because it is available, and neither should customers get all up in arms about it. I mean, it wasn't a problem prior to the technology being available so why should it be a problem now?

We can certainly get all up in arms about it. If we are many and loud enough they could decide not to close the system due to customer preference. Their current position is they can have an advantage over their customers if they control the purchase experience. And they get visibility at who is transacting. With the more customer first - security, privacy friendly apple pay method they lose this advantage.

Getting all up in arms is THE only way they will hear that this is what we prefer and that we will not blindly go along with their way.

The fact that they had it and turned it off is a transparent aggressive move against those of us who care about privacy and security. This is entirely relevant and important to a lot of us.

The OP stated and understood that it is this their choice and this is the appropriate way to voice our displeasure that they should reprioritize and reconsider this bad decision.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We can certainly get all up in arms about it. If we are many and loud enough they could decide not to close the system due to customer preference. Their current position is they can have an advantage over their customers if they control the purchase experience. And they get visibility at who is transacting. With the more customer first - security, privacy friendly apple pay method they lose this advantage.

Getting all up in arms is THE only way they will hear that this is what we prefer and that we will not blindly go along with their way.

The fact that they had it and turned it off is a transparent aggressive move against those of us who care about privacy and security. This is entirely relevant and important to a lot of us.

The OP stated and understood that it is this their choice and this is the appropriate way to voice our displeasure that they should reprioritize and reconsider this bad decision.

I didn't say you couldn't get all up in arms about it. I said you shouldn't, but my focus was in regard to being stressed out about it. I agree with what you stated in regard to showing customer solidarity in order to bring about a change, and I have no problem with the OP's campaign.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I didn't say you couldn't get all up in arms about it. I said you shouldn't, but my focus was in regard to being stressed out about it. I agree with what you stated in regard to showing customer solidarity in order to bring about a change, and I have no problem with the OP's campaign.

We disagree. Its the only way to let then know it matters to us.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We disagree. Its the only way to let then know it matters to us.

Stressing ourselves out is the only way to let them know it matters. Is that your stance? I did say "I agree with what you stated in regard to showing customer solidarity in order to bring about a change, and I have no problem with the OP's campaign."

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Stressing ourselves out is the only way to let them know it matters. Is that your stance? I did say "I agree with what you stated in regard to showing customer solidarity in order to bring about a change, and I have no problem with the OP's campaign."

I was as upset as the OP. When it comes to financial safety it really matters. You don't have to feel the same way but you cant deny us how we feel about it. You are literally saying we shouldn't be upset. Thats not quite right.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
My gripe is that I have shied away from using Google Wallet because I never really felt it was secure. Android in itself is already lacking a lot of security, which is why I have avoided entering ANY credit, debit or bank information while using an Android phone. Now with Apple Pay, I feel it's a lot more secure to use and would like to take full advantage of it. While I don't generally shop a lot at Rite Aid and CVS, I go when it is an absolute MUST, it is still going to lose my business because of that. They have made a hostile move to disable a service simply because they are backing the CurrentC service that will not be available until 2015 anyway. It's all just a way to help themselves have more of your personal information, something Apple Pay isn't allowing them to do.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah turning off NFC for their own proprietary solution is annoying. Places that don't have NFC equipment (yet, hopefully) I understand, but to purposefully cripple existing hardware is just a d**k move. I can't even use apple pay yet because I don't have a supported CC, and I'm still annoyed by it.

Every time I have to pay an ATM fee or swipe my card for a visa trans or (cringe) hand the card to a server that takes the card away - i think about the Target hack and the numerous other hacks in the past few years. NFC and the way Apple protects our account is the way forward. This is a shot back against progress. I am sure it isn't going to stop here. We need to be vocal about this.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you. As above I can't even use it yet due to my bank but it still pi$$es me off. I have had my CC taken from the Target and Home Depot scam. It's getting old. In my eyes Apple Pay is secure. I will do my part and not shop at CVS or Rite Aid. I have a Walgreens right down the street, not big deal to switch.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you. As above I can't even use it yet due to my bank but it still pi$$es me off. I have had my CC taken from the Target and Home Depot scam. It's getting old. In my eyes Apple Pay is secure. I will do my part and not shop at CVS or Rite Aid. I have a Walgreens right down the street, not big deal to switch.

We were also hit by Target attack.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
The sad part is that most people won't know about the security of the old ways compared to Apple Pay. I do my part and educate everyone that asks me about it.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

Well said, and exactly my point. No need to just accept it. CVS is well within their right to not accept it. If they want me as a customer? They will accept it.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

Not stressed about it. It is minor. But the only way I have to let them know how I feel is to vote with my wallet. The more people that do so, the benefit is greater for us all.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not stressed about it. It is minor. But the only way I have to let them know how I feel is to vote with my wallet. The more people that do so, the benefit is greater for us all.

We are on the same page, my friend...:)

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member