What are the selling points of a Mac for a windows user?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I have used windows for about as long as I can remember. Never owned a Mac and only used them during some college courses. I'm currently saving for a laptop and am making the decision of windows or MacBook. I currently own a iPhone and iPad and don't have too much investment in PC software. While gaming is something I enjoy, I'm unsure how well it'll be on a laptop anyway unless I spend tons of money on a gaming laptop.

So I'm basically curious what you think the advantages may be? I know many folks use no viruses as a selling point, but I honestly am unsure it's still a major issue on PC anymore. It's been a while since I've gotten one on my desktop PC. Stability? I can't really remember the last time my PC has crashed.

So I'm not trying to troll or anything here, I'm generally wondering what the Mac would do for me that a PC laptop wouldn't?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on what a user needs. Since you have a iPhone and iPad having a Mac creates a seamless stream on communication and productivity in my opinion.
I just mentioned on another thread how I was working on my MacBook Air and a call came in since I knew it was a friend who is long winded I took the call on my MacBook so I wouldn't have to hold my iPhone for a hour or more.
Same with texts that come in responding right from the Mac. Same with the iPad. But like I said it all depends what one wants or needs.
Also it's the Customer Service of Apple.
I had a G4 PowerBook years ago they tried to fix 3 times after that they gave me brand new MacBook Pro they had it shipped right from China to my house. This was back in 2006.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
To the OP: Someone with current PC and Mac experience can give you a better idea of the pros and cons of both. Like I mentioned to you before its Mac or nothing for me. Even for basic internet stuff.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
To the OP: Someone with current PC and Mac experience can give you a better idea of the pros and cons of both. Like I mentioned to you before its Mac or nothing for me. Even for basic internet stuff.

I'm curious if there's someone like that here though

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I still use Windows all day, every day at work. But I switched almost four years ago to a Mac at home and I couldn't imagine going back. I'm very familiar with windows and provide tech support to my parents and in-laws. I've even built PCs from components and installed and setup new Windows installations. I originally got the Mac at home because I needed a new laptop and I loved my iPhone and iPad. I pretty much felt instantly comfortable and liked the Mac better than any prior Windows laptop or desktop that I had had. Part of that was certainly build quality compared to the HP laptop I had immediately prior. Part was probably that while I knew how to do anything on my Windows laptops, it just seemed more natural on the Mac. So it's just a very subjective gut feel for me that the Mac fit me better. On the other hand, my husband uses Windows almost exclusively (on a desktop playing a lot of Warcraft and at work) with a keyboard and mouse. And on the occasions that he picks up my rMBP to do something, he complains about how to find stuff, using the trackpad (which I adored from day one), the slightly different shortcut keys, etc. Yes I had to learn a few new things for the Mac (Cmd C rather than Ctrl C for copying for instance), but once I got over that very short learning curve the Mac just felt more natural to me and even though I'm on a Windows PC more hours of the day than the Mac, I sometimes find myself accidentally hitting the wrong key combinations or trying to do something that doesn't work on Windows (like tapping the space bar with a file selected for a QuickLook). Of course I just laugh at myself and do it the Windows way. But I never find myself trying to do something the Windows way on my Mac at home which logically you would think would happen since I spend more hours on Windows.
TLDR: the Mac just clicks with me better.

Well, main reason I like windows is that there's the gaming benefit and also I like that I have a lot of hardware choice and configurations.

Strangely I'm the exact opposite with phones. I don't like the fragmentation of android that much, but I admit there are phones that come out that tempt me. But unless it's a nexus or Moto phone I can't really expect timely updates. So that's why I liked iOS. With my computer however I enjoy tinkering and configuring and the openness of it.

Downside though is I don't get the cool integration with my iOS devices on the PC.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You can arguably tinker more with a Mac. Probably not on the hardware side, but you basically have a full *nix command line to tinker and tweak as much as you want.

I think the gaming aspect is one thing that puts the PC ahead though. Though as I said, perhaps it may not be as crucial on a notebook.

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Gaming can be done on a Mac but it doesn't do as well with the graphic intensive games. This is mainly due to the fact that Window's PC's are more customizable. You can build a powerful gaming PC from scratch. Gaming companies create their games with this in mind since Windows based machines are their largest market. Macs are great machines and beat Windows machines in other areas but not gaming.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Gaming can be done on a Mac but it doesn't do as well with the graphic intensive games. This is mainly due to the fact that Window's PC's are more customizable. You can build a powerful gaming PC from scratch. Gaming companies create their games with this in mind since Windows based machines are their largest market. Macs are great machines and beat Windows machines in other areas but not gaming.

Well thats my question. What areas do Macs beat PCs?

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Well thats my question. What areas do Macs beat PCs?

Well I own two very good PC's (one even has a more powerful processor then my Mac) so I was trying to give PC's credit in my previous post. However, just think about everything you do on a PC except intense gaming. All those things work better on a Mac lol. I barely touch my PC's now. Plus, the Mac works seamlessly with my iPhone. The continuity feature has been invaluable.

Bifurcated

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
So I'm not trying to troll or anything here, I'm generally wondering what the Mac would do for me that a PC laptop wouldn't?

Here's my list:
  • Mac offers best hardware bar none. The trackpads track beautifully without false positives. The keyboards are the best I've ever used on a laptop. The general build quality is solid and high-tolerance.
  • There are dozens of small things that "just work" under MacOS but which are sometimes a pain under Windows. For example, MacOS handles high-resolution displays flawlessly using retina scaling, whereas support for UHD on Windows is a patchwork. Printers and networked drives connect painlessly. Secondary displays and projectors just plug in and go. And on and on.
  • MacOS is pretty similar to Windows 7, without all the cruft they added to Windows 8/Windows 10.
  • This is more personal, but MacOS is beautiful to look at with elegant graphic design. This is important to me because I spend the whole day looking at my screen. I recognize that not everyone cares about graphic design.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I switched to Macs back in 2010 when I needed to upgrade. I went to Best Buy to check out some new laptops and thought they were all extremely ugly. Superficial but whatever. Headed to the Apple Store and bought my first Mac. At the time, they offered the best experience IMO. If I hadn't switched already, I could see myself still owning a Windows computer, but I've gotten so used to Macs now and really enjoy using them that I don't see myself going back.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
My main points for switching to the Mac were:

I already owned an iPhone and 2 iPads so it made sense. I wanted a more seamless experience and to take further advantage of continuity.

I was fed up with poor performance from windows laptops over the years so wanted to try something else.

I had a Samsung chromebook which is a MacBook Air clone and I really liked it so decided on the MacBook Air.

Gtech21

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
So I have used windows for about as long as I can remember. Never owned a Mac and only used them during some college courses. I'm currently saving for a laptop and am making the decision of windows or MacBook. I currently own a iPhone and iPad and don't have too much investment in PC software. While gaming is something I enjoy, I'm unsure how well it'll be on a laptop anyway unless I spend tons of money on a gaming laptop.

So I'm basically curious what you think the advantages may be? I know many folks use no viruses as a selling point, but I honestly am unsure it's still a major issue on PC anymore. It's been a while since I've gotten one on my desktop PC. Stability? I can't really remember the last time my PC has crashed.

1. No viruses.
2. The hardware and software are built to work well together. Apple has the resources and does test multiple hard drives, ram, processors, to see which ones work best with their software and that is how the final outcome comes together.
3. They just work when you need them to.
4. Customer service via the apple retail store and phone support (AppleCare on computers) is available.

j_rahman07

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm also looking to switch over and buy a first Mac. Leaning towards the air right now, but has anyone heard if there will be a new air or pro coming out next year?

I don't want to buy one right now and next thing you know there coming out with new ones next year.

Aaronfinch123

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
The simple fact is that Apple produces only five kinds of OS X computer. Two types of laptop, the Mac mini, the iMac all-in-one and the Mac Pro. They are all fine products, and they will satisfy plenty of people's needs. But not by any means all of them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro