Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By iwicked
  • 2 Post By EggoEspada
  • 1 Post By PeltFrelken
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iwicked's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    54 Posts

    Default Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Hi folks,

    So, I've been using windows all my life. After I got myself the iphone 5 last year I felt the urge to delve deeper into the world of Apple. Getting a Mac has always been a dream and now I am finally ready to buy one for myself. Oh the excitement!

    But I need advice - which one to go for? The Macbook Air is beautiful, but I'm not sure if its too underpowered compared to the Pro. I am leaning more towards the Air. I will not be playing any games. I will do - watch films, office work, web browsing, writing, etc. Nothing too graphics intensive. However, I do basic video editing (trimming, cutting, etc) and I like to run multiple videos simultaneously. I use GOM player to run 5-6 videos side by side and my windows laptop starts to lag. Will the Air be able to handle this?

    Guys, please advice from personal experience. Thanks!
  2. #2  
    TechnologyTwitt's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    141 Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    I can't speak of any video editing but on my Air, I run two users (one profile for home use & one for work). In each profile there's a browser open with between 3-8 tabs open at any time. Excel & Word are open, Evernote is open, Dropbox is running, calendar & calculator are running and I can still launch PowerPoint or anything else without hesitation.

    In any of the two profiles I can use more than 1 desktop, flip through screens and tab through open apps very smoothly.

    Mine has the 128GB SSD, which while I love the 12 second boot time (mine always sleeps though, I rarely shut it down) I wish I had a larger drive.

    Overall though, I absolutely love the thing.


    _-TechnologyTwitt-_
    iPad Air / Space Gray / 16GB
    T-Mobile * 5GB Data
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iwicked's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    54 Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Thanks for the insight TT. How much RAM do you have? What you described sounds promising. Quick question, is it free to upgrade OS X versions? Do I need to pay for upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite when it is released? Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnologyTwitt View Post
    I can't speak of any video editing but on my Air, I run two users (one profile for home use & one for work). In each profile there's a browser open with between 3-8 tabs open at any time. Excel & Word are open, Evernote is open, Dropbox is running, calendar & calculator are running and I can still launch PowerPoint or anything else without hesitation.

    In any of the two profiles I can use more than 1 desktop, flip through screens and tab through open apps very smoothly.

    Mine has the 128GB SSD, which while I love the 12 second boot time (mine always sleeps though, I rarely shut it down) I wish I had a larger drive.

    Overall though, I absolutely love the thing.


    _-TechnologyTwitt-_
    iPad Air / Space Gray / 16GB
    T-Mobile * 5GB Data
  4. #4  
    TechnologyTwitt's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    141 Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Apple announced the upgrade to Yosemite will be free.

    My Air is almost 2 years old, battery time is still pretty good, obviously dependent on usage. There's 4 GB Ram, 1333 MHz DDR3.


    _-TechnologyTwitt-_
    iPad Air / Space Gray / 16GB
    T-Mobile * 5GB Data
    Thanked by:
    iwicked (08-19-2014)
  5. #5  
    Nophix's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Its been free to upgrade versions so far since Mavericks. It wasn't prior to that, but it looks like Apple is going to continue the trend, as Yosemite is also going to be a free upgrade.

    I've actually got the beta on my 2010 Macbook, and with 8gb it runs flawless. I do a ton of work including video and graphic editing, and its a much older machine.
    iPhone 5s Gold
    iPad Mini Retina
    BlackBerry q10
    Nexus 5
    Thanked by:
    iwicked (08-19-2014)
  6. #6  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    7,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,217 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    You should be ok with the Air. Just get it with 8GB RAM.
  7. #7  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    The Air should be enough for your uses. But the Retina display is so damn nice. That was really the only reason I got it over the Air, as I didn't need too much power either. The new base models of the rMBP now have 8GB of RAM standard, which I'd recommend even on the Air. That will put the price close to the base Retina model, which also has a better CPU and iGPU.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iwicked's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    54 Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I suppose Air would be fine for me. But I am also in awe of the retina display. I will go check out the models first hand in the store and then update you folks. If the rMBP isn't too thick compared to the Air, then I may just decide to get that. Let's see!
  9. #9  
    TechnologyTwitt's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    141 Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Good luck, let us know what you end up with


    _-TechnologyTwitt-_
    iPad Air / Space Gray / 16GB
    T-Mobile * 5GB Data
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iwicked's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    54 Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    So I got myself the rMBP 13". I put the Air and Pro side by side and it was not competition - the retina display blew the Air away! I'm loving the Pro!!

    Can you suggest me a good movie/video player that would play all the different file types?
    UJ95x and agalaria like this.
  11. #11  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    7,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,217 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by iwicked View Post
    So I got myself the rMBP 13". I put the Air and Pro side by side and it was not competition - the retina display blew the Air away! I'm loving the Pro!!

    Can you suggest me a good movie/video player that would play all the different file types?
    VLC
    Thanked by:
    iwicked (08-22-2014)
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iwicked's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    54 Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    VLC
    VCL is good. Cheers!
  13. #13  
    pooma89's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    May I get some suggestions too?
    I got to work with MATLAB, JAVA, Python, C, OpenCV library, latex and also video(editing and watching). Will Air suffice?
    Last edited by pooma89; 08-22-2014 at 11:44 AM.
  14. #14  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by pooma89 View Post
    May I get some suggestions too?
    I got to work with MATLAB, JAVA, Python, C, OpenCV library, latex and also video(editing and watching). Will Air suffice?
    If you get the 8GB of RAM version, yes.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
  15. #15  
    EggoEspada's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    830 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by iwicked View Post
    So I got myself the rMBP 13". I put the Air and Pro side by side and it was not competition - the retina display blew the Air away! I'm loving the Pro!!

    Can you suggest me a good movie/video player that would play all the different file types?
    I've been in the same predicament as you. Plan on getting a Mac next week, but haven't been able to decide between the Air or rPro. I'm not doing to crazy with my computer, but the RAM and retina screen have had me gearing towards the rPro. And after seeing this I think I'll be doing the rPro, too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ladyc0524 and iwicked like this.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iwicked's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    54 Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by EggoEspada View Post
    I've been in the same predicament as you. Plan on getting a Mac next week, but haven't been able to decide between the Air or rPro. I'm not doing to crazy with my computer, but the RAM and retina screen have had me gearing towards the rPro. And after seeing this I think I'll be doing the rPro, too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would wholeheartedly recommend the rPro. The amazing display makes it all worth it. Plus, it's not much heavier or thicker than the Air anyway. Putting them side-by-side I could hardly label it as "fat" or "ugly" compared to the Air. To me its almost as beautiful as the Air, if not more and packs a greater punch as well.

    Go for the Pro - you will not regret it!
  17. #17  
    Soeasy's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    It's all relative. I'm in NYC on the Upper East Side. I picked up the 13' Air two weeks ago. My reasons were simple, I carry my it in my messenger bag like tons of other NY'ers.

    Heavy population density here and the majority of us don't drive. The Air is simply much easier to walk around with. Walk in to a Starbucks in Manhattan and the Airs(11's and 13's) outnumber the Pros. I'm also noticing more chrome books.

    if you can get by without a disc drive and you're also always on the go, the Air is an excellent choice. I'm a freelance tv writer and don't watch many vids on my Air.

    I guess figure out what you need your machine to do and go from there.
  18. #18  
    PeltFrelken's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Congrats on the new Mac. The Air vs. Pro decision is not an easy one. But, the Pro will last you many many years.
    iwicked likes this.
  19. #19  
    pooma89's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    If you get the 8GB of RAM version, yes.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    Okay, Thank You.
  20. #20  
    pooma89's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default Re: Jumping into the Mac world - Air or Pro? Suggestions please!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Soeasy View Post
    It's all relative. I'm in NYC on the Upper East Side. I picked up the 13' Air two weeks ago. My reasons were simple, I carry my it in my messenger bag like tons of other NY'ers.

    Heavy population density here and the majority of us don't drive. The Air is simply much easier to walk around with. Walk in to a Starbucks in Manhattan and the Airs(11's and 13's) outnumber the Pros. I'm also noticing more chrome books.

    if you can get by without a disc drive and you're also always on the go, the Air is an excellent choice. I'm a freelance tv writer and don't watch many vids on my Air.

    I guess figure out what you need your machine to do and go from there.
    Okay. Will figure out what is best for me soon.

Similar Threads

  1. So this happened to Macbook air today....
    By jthow24 in forum OS X Yosemite (10.10)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 01:14 AM
  2. What's the best way to run Windows?
    By sashlon in forum MacBook Pro
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-16-2014, 02:35 PM
  3. What are the chances of a Sprint iPhone 4 working on Verizon's network?
    By ThatOneGuyWithADroid in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 08:57 PM
  4. Handoff and Pre bluetooth 4.0 Macs
    By Cameron Bales in forum OS X Yosemite (10.10)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 09:57 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Posting Permissions