Is it worth it to buy refurbished?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have never bought a refurbished device. The only time I would recommend it, is if the person asking doesn't have a big enough budget for the computer.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I bought both my macbook and iMac refurbished. Saved a few $100 each time. They both looked and felt brand new. Since they came with the same warrantee it was a no brainer for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought both my macbook and iMac refurbished. Saved a few $100 each time. They both looked and felt brand new. Since they came with the same warrantee it was a no brainer for me.

Although I've never bought a refurbished computer before, I have to agree with Phreddyl that it is a no-brainer if the warranty is the same as a new one.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I think the only thing I would worry about if considering buying a refurbished laptop would be how many charge/discharge cycles were on the battery. ...how 'worn out' it is...or does Apple replace batteries as part of the refurbishment.

Sent from my ME308LL/A ⚫

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I think the only thing I would worry about if considering buying a refurbished laptop would be how many charge/discharge cycles were on the battery. ...how 'worn out' it is...or does Apple replace batteries as part of the refurbishment.

Sent from my ME308LL/A ⚫

well I believe all Apple Refurb come with a new battery and she might be talking about a desktop not a laptop

I wouldn't buy a refurbed car but when it comes to tech it's a great deal. Go for it girl

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
As in easier to buy hardware upgrades for? How hard is it install upgrades in hardware on these laptops?

?Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk?

Yeah. Just pop out the screws on the bottom and you can upgrade the RAM, install an SSD and even swap the optical drive out for a another hard drive or SSD. I had a 2012 15" Hi-Res and upgraded the RAM to 16GB, added a 256GB SSD, and replaced the optical drive with a 7.2kRPM hard drive. I was rather proud of my little mobile workstation.

Sent from my ME308LL/A ⚫

Last edited:

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a great way to save a few dollars. I have purchased refurbished apple products in the past and they were good as new IMO

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I never have but my son has. He didn't have any problems with it. They go through the refurbs carefully and they're in good shape.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The price difference that I'm seeing isn't too significant on certain models. Have you ever purchased a netbook/laptop refurbished? If so, did you believe you got a good deal? Do you recommend it to others?

What kind of warranty/Apple Care is included or can be purchased?

?Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk?

I have purchased three iPads refurb from apple 2/3 had issues out of the box but apple replaced both of them one was even replaced on the spot with a brand new one ( we opened box together) non referb .. one was a magnet on / off issue and digitizer would stop responding... Second issue was with the ios and hardware failure that a restore couldn't fix ..
Despite the bad luck I still recommend refurb because well it's apple and they back up the stuff they sell ..

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app