Has anyone very recently tried to place one's music library into the iCloud Music Library for anytime streaming via Apple Music on iPhone?

Isko2016

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone very recently tried to place one's music library into the iCloud Music Library for anytime streaming via Apple Music on iPhone?

Has anyone very recently tried to place one's PC or Mac music library into the iCloud Music Library for anytime streaming via Apple Music on iPhone? Last time I tried (some months ago), rampant mismatching occurred due to Apple's continued use of outdated matching algorithms. With a 40,000 song library, I don't wish to waste time trying this again until I receive assurances that the system is newly improved and won't mismatch my songs.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I started back from scratch with iCloud Music Library and chose to sync music per album. It's time consuming and slow and takes a lot of patience, but this way I have everything under control and don't leave anything to chance.

But I must admit I noticed there has been improvements in the matching algorithm of Apple.

Sabre Wulf

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
My problem is that many songs in my library, on a device, are greyed and unable to play, although of course they play in iTunes where the original cd is imported. A particular album, e.g. Monster by R.E.M., has several such songs. Although the album exists in Apple Music, and all songs are playable there, adding the album to a playlist always yields these same unplayable songs. I cannot see what is wrong or how to solve this. Any of you iCloud library experts out there please help!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My problem is that many songs in my library, on a device, are greyed and unable to play, although of course they play in iTunes where the original cd is imported. A particular album, e.g. Monster by R.E.M., has several such songs. Although the album exists in Apple Music, and all songs are playable there, adding the album to a playlist always yields these same unplayable songs. I cannot see what is wrong or how to solve this. Any of you iCloud library experts out there please help!

Find those albums with greyed out songs on your iPhone and delete that whole album from iCloud Music Library. Don't worry, the physical songs will remain on your computer/mac.
Now open iTunes on your computer/mac, find those albums you just deleted and select 'upload to iCloud Music Library'. All songs should be either matched or uploaded and you will no longer have songs that are greyed out.

Good luck and let me know the results.

Sabre Wulf

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, it helped a lot.

My findings are:

* When first registering my Apple Music and iCloud library in iTunes, iTunes began syncing the library to the cloud which for a large library will take time. Eventually it stopped so the assumption was it was finished.
* The was nothing in the UI to sync again or upload songs to the cloud. This is because the iCloud library settings under preferences was not enabled. This is odd, because it had already recognized my Apple Music subscription, and indeed begun the initial syncing. But without this setting enabled there is no ability in iTunes to sync further or interact with the cloud.
* So I enabled the setting manually. I would have expected that to have been done for me. After this I can add songs to the cloud library that have been newly imported or that have been deleted from the cloud and I can initiate an entire cloud push from the File,Library,Upload to iCloud menu.
* As suggested I could now delete songs that are in a waiting state, which are the ones that are greyed on my devices, and then add them to the library again, then choose them and upload to the cloud again. This works but is a very slow process for many songs in that state.
* Theoretically, any songs in a waiting state should be uploaded if starting the sync again from the File menu. It appears that you need to do this multiple times because iTunes often does not complete. My problem now with this approach is that it causes iTunes to crash for some reason, which is not something I can control. So I need to handle them all manually.

Many thanks for helping me out. I hope the info here helps others.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad it worked for you. I found that, regardless of what computer or software you're using, handling of very large databases is cumbersome. The best way to go around this is to do it in smaller batches and increase the volume of the batch each time till you have established when the issues start to occur.

I have uploaded photos from my computer to iCloud Photo Library in batches of 100 photos each time and in iCloud Music Library I used to upload songs per album instead of per artist or all-in-one.

Sabre Wulf

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
I did also discover that choosing the Delete from Library for a set of songs can be a little risky. In some cases the song files remain on disc,as you said. In other cases the files are also deleted. There is nothing to alert you as to which will happen, and the menu item is named the same, so one must be careful. I think the songs under the Media folder are physically removed and those under Music remain - not 100% sure what the pattern is though. So taking a copy of the file(s) is a good idea before issuing a delete. :)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I did also discover that choosing the Delete from Library for a set of songs can be a little risky. In some cases the song files remain on disc,as you said. In other cases the files are also deleted. There is nothing to alert you as to which will happen, and the menu item is named the same, so one must be careful. I think the songs under the Media folder are physically removed and those under Music remain - not 100% sure what the pattern is though. So taking a copy of the file(s) is a good idea before issuing a delete. :)

The ones that get deleted are songs added through Apple Music.
Songs you have added physically to the database will not be deleted.
(Songs added through Apple Music have the .m4p extension on windows computer. Not sure how it is on Mac's.)

PriitE

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
The ones that get deleted are songs added through Apple Music.
Songs you have added physically to the database will not be deleted.
(Songs added through Apple Music have the .m4p extension on windows computer. Not sure how it is on Mac's.)

It sometimes deletes the mp3 files that you've manually added aswell without any confirmation. Just countered this few days ago.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods