Playlists disappeared from Apple Music; remaining lists have no songs and wont' play; iTunes is fine

deckem

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
A few days ago I lost almost all of my playlists from Apple Music on my iPhone. The only lists that remain are two albums that I own, and few of the playlist I added but which now no longer contain any music. No interaction from me; I tried to listen to music and it wasn't there.

All of my playlists are accessible via iTunes.

I have signed out/in Apple Music on my iPhone to no avail and restarted my iPhone. I've posted on the Apple forums, along with a bunch of other users, but Apple has neither acknowledged a problem nor replied to the posts.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I have no desire to re-add all of the playlists I've diligently been adding to my phone since Apple Music released, and the fact that the playlists all appear in my iTunes, across multiple PCs, suggests that problem is with the iPhone app or service.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried turning off iCloud Music Library and turning it back on?

The Apple forums are not monitored Apple tech support. It's just another community of people helping each other (or not, as it seems).

deckem

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Resolution:

The iCloud Music Library setting was unchecked in Settings - Music.
However, I could 'Remove this Device' from within Apple Music. Doing so seemed to have no effect, because when I close and open the Remove on is still there.

How the setting was unchecked, I do not know. I probably unwittingly unchecked it thinking it would do something good and then didn't put two and two together until Apple support had me jumping through iTunes on my PC.

(Side now for any interested; whatever system Apple uses to share your screen with them is not yet compatible with Windows 10 regardless of browser choice.)

vesperdem

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried turning off iCloud Music Library and turning it back on?

Have you ever seen the British TV show called "The IT Crowd"? The above statement is pretty much an exact copy of the shows main character answering an IT question. :) It just made me LOL. :)

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever seen the British TV show called "The IT Crowd"? The above statement is pretty much an exact copy of the shows main character answering an IT question. :) It just made me LOL. :)

Well I guess I have to look this show up now so I can know if I'm being made fun of or not.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

torque3211

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I was facing the same problem, i dont know how the icloud music library under music setting got unchecked.. Just enabled it again and selected replace... All songs were back...

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
LOL man I do sound like that. But in my defense, this one needed it turned back on again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

laserman5000

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
This is clearly a terrible UX situation...

iTunes stopped playing music so I thought signing out and in again would fix it.

Signed out = all music and playlists disappear.
Signed in = all music and playlists STILL MISSING???

Solution was buried in the preferences: a checkbox "iCloud Music Library". Checked that and it all came back.

But in the meantime, all I wanted to do was play a song...

Apple, what the heck kind of microsoft bumfluffery is this? Please sort it out. Maybe hire a UX person who cares about the product. Hire me! I could do a better job!

Chelsea Hopkins

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much. This worked for me, I was so scared I lost all my music but this method did work for me thanks for much😊

Resolution:

The iCloud Music Library setting was unchecked in Settings - Music.
However, I could 'Remove this Device' from within Apple Music. Doing so seemed to have no effect, because when I close and open the Remove on is still there.

How the setting was unchecked, I do not know. I probably unwittingly unchecked it thinking it would do something good and then didn't put two and two together until Apple support had me jumping through iTunes on my PC.

(Side now for any interested; whatever system Apple uses to share your screen with them is not yet compatible with Windows 10 regardless of browser choice.)

tom_todhunter

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I have plugged my iPhone into my PC that is running iTunes where the playlist are in fact working. It appears to be re synching up the music on my iPhone and iTunes to include the play lists.

we will see as they system said I have nearly 900 items to sync and not all of the files (11 have transfered back to the iPhone