Google Music or Apple Music?

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
IMO, with what Beats 1 is offering and also the new and innovative way to drive change to the music industry, I would pay $20-$30 per month for Beats 1. I had Google All Play and it does not offer nearly what Beats 1 offers. You have curators, music magazines, better assortment of playlists based on activity, etc.. In some ways, it reminds me of what Tidal should have been.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I want Apple music now thanks. I have until the 14th to decide if I want to cancel Google music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGIBS

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Even though it doesn't yet have Sonos support, I am going to stick with Apple Music, it is a no brainer with the Family plan. Added my mother, sister, and niece to the plan.

P_Devil

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
The one area where I think Google Music has Apple Music beat is that you can use Google's services with a standard web browser, you don't have to go through iTunes or an iOS device. iTunes, through Windows, is still a resource hog. It consumes even more resources than Chrome accessing Google Music and that's saying a lot (it is using 1GB of RAM on my system right now and I'm not even accessing the store, Apple Music, or playing anything back).

Having said that, I find iTunes easier to use than Google's online interface. The integration with iOS is what sold me on Apple Music. You can use both and I think they will be about equal in terms of what you're getting. Both allow for the manual online backup of songs that aren't in their services, both will offer the same audio quality, and both are solid services. But, the main thing I noticed with Google Music is that it can't download songs in the background. I have a "thumbs up" playlist that houses every song I give a thumbs up rating. I can rate a song on my system and my Note Edge will automatically download it when I am connected to wi-fi. An iPhone won't do that though, you have to open the Google Music app and leave it open for any downloads to starts.

Apple Music, on the other hand, can automatically download new songs and, if you're downloading a bunch of them, it can do so in the background without needing to be open. That was a main point for me mainly because I discover new music weekly and rate at least 30-40 tracks with a thumb up (or now, a "loved" rating).

Like I said, I don't think you can really go wrong with either but I prefer Apple Music mainly because it's integrated with iOS. Plus the family sharing is nice. My fiance and I will be paying $15 a month total for two music subscriptions instead of paying $10 each to Google. We can even add her parents to our family plan and not have our libraries cross (or her Mom accidentally delete stuff in my library).

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
That's a great point about automatic downloads. In the past I never used Google Music from the browser because my work PC is so bogged down with enterprise crap that it can't play music without occasionally skipping (sad I know). I've since switched my work laptop to a MacBook Pro to get away from all the background processes and was using Google Music (and Radiant Player, an app alternative for Google Music) from the web. I generally don't need to watch data limits, so I didn't even realize Google Music wasn't refreshing in the background on my iPhone. I have several playlists for offline use for poor service areas and times when I need to be more cognizant of my battery usage so this is actually a big deal. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm leaning towards keeping Apple Music anyway, but this is a big win in the column of Apple Music.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

P_Devil

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm leaning towards keeping Apple Music anyway, but this is a big win in the column of Apple Music.

It's a big win for the iPhone, I'm not sure how the Android app for Apple music will perform. Android isn't as restrictive with background processes so, if Apple codes it right, I'm sure their app will be able to download files in the background.

What will you do for your Note Edge? Wait for the Android app for Apple Music?

I will be trading it in/selling it when the iPhone 6S Plus comes out. I activated my trial now so that I can begin switching back to iTunes. It was pretty easy switching from iTunes to Google Music (I originally had an iPhone 5) but going back takes time. Plus I was going through and cleaning up my library removing stuff I didn't like and rating songs from albums that I added but didn't get around to listening to. I wanted to have ample time to get my library back so that I could stop paying for Google Music and have everything setup before getting a new iPhone.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The one area where I think Google Music has Apple Music beat is that you can use Google's services with a standard web browser, you don't have to go through iTunes or an iOS device. iTunes, through Windows, is still a resource hog. It consumes even more resources than Chrome accessing Google Music and that's saying a lot (it is using 1GB of RAM on my system right now and I'm not even accessing the store, Apple Music, or playing anything back).

Having said that, I find iTunes easier to use than Google's online interface. The integration with iOS is what sold me on Apple Music. You can use both and I think they will be about equal in terms of what you're getting. Both allow for the manual online backup of songs that aren't in their services, both will offer the same audio quality, and both are solid services. But, the main thing I noticed with Google Music is that it can't download songs in the background. I have a "thumbs up" playlist that houses every song I give a thumbs up rating. I can rate a song on my system and my Note Edge will automatically download it when I am connected to wi-fi. An iPhone won't do that though, you have to open the Google Music app and leave it open for any downloads to starts.

Apple Music, on the other hand, can automatically download new songs and, if you're downloading a bunch of them, it can do so in the background without needing to be open. That was a main point for me mainly because I discover new music weekly and rate at least 30-40 tracks with a thumb up (or now, a "loved" rating).

Like I said, I don't think you can really go wrong with either but I prefer Apple Music mainly because it's integrated with iOS. Plus the family sharing is nice. My fiance and I will be paying $15 a month total for two music subscriptions instead of paying $10 each to Google. We can even add her parents to our family plan and not have our libraries cross (or her Mom accidentally delete stuff in my library).

I have 8GB of ram and considering upgrading to 32GB or more realistic 16GB. It's a gaming laptop so the resources iTunes takes isn't that much of an issue and I actually like iTunes so it's actually a positive for me. I'm thinking if canceling it and decide what I want after the end of September so I can save $14 bucks not paying for Google music even though I'll lose my $7.99 pricing

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I LOVE Apple Music.
I currently am on the three months free trial.
But, I saw that Google Music offers a six months free trial, so I might test drive it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

rayzaname

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Coming from Android, I'm currently using Google Music and Apple Music's trial at the same time. Beats 1 radio and some exclusives are cool incentives for Apple, but Google's navigation and curated playlists are really good. I'm still undecided myself.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Coming from Android, I'm currently using Google Music and Apple Music's trial at the same time. Beats 1 radio and some exclusives are cool incentives for Apple, but Google's navigation and curated playlists are really good. I'm still undecided myself.

I have decided to cancel Google sub at least until the Apple music trial is over. For now I am leaning towards going back but I'll wait until October to decide. The one nagging thing about Apple music is it will pause randomly but I'm not sure if it's Apple music or iOS 9 beta that is doing it.

I am using the LG tone infinim and love that you can fast forward songs while you can't with Google music. You can only skip and rewind with Google music app

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Google music is a very good service and is more polished than Apple Music. The privacy aspect of Google's practices are certainly worth consideration, but just comparing the two services, you'd be hard pressed to say Apple Music as a streaming service is way better than Google Music. What Apple Music has going for it, in my opinion, is the integration with iOS. For people that don't care about that, Google Music is as a service is a worthwhile competitor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Google music is a very good service and is more polished than Apple Music. The privacy aspect of Google's practices are certainly worth consideration, but just comparing the two services, you'd be hard pressed to say Apple Music as a streaming service is way better than Google Music. What Apple Music has going for it, in my opinion, is the integration with iOS. For people that don't care about that, Google Music is as a service is a worthwhile competitor.

Eh one of the reasons I got an iPhone and iPad was because if privacy concerns. It wasn't a huge deal but it did factor in my decision though slightly.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I get to keep the $7.99 pricing with Google it seems since I started at it. Canceled it and says I could renew for $7.99

Good to know should I change my mind

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. In the past they said it would go away if canceled. Bloggers seemed to indicate if they canceled and turned it back on in the same month, the pricing was honored. I'm probably going to cancel my google music also and keep Apple Music. I'll see if it gives me the same message.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73