Does turning on iCloud Music Library and downloading tracks for offline use take up space on the 5gb

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried to put the whole question in the thread title but here it is again:

Does turning on iCloud Music Library and downloading tracks for offline use take up space on the free 5GB allotment?

A little background: my fianc? and I share a Rhapsody account, which we've had for a bunch of years. We've downloaded (not purchased) thousands of tracks, never concerned about iCloud type issues.

As iPhone users, we try to use our 5GB iCloud allotment sparingly. If we suddenly have to worry about the offline music tracks taking up that space, then Apple Music is a no go for us.

BTW, we never use iTunes at all, so tracks purchased previously from them are not a concern for us.

Thanks for any answers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Offline music will use part of the 5 free gb of iCloud storage if the phone is backed up to iCloud. Enabling iCloud Music Library will not use up iCloud storage.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Offline music will use part of the 5 free gb of iCloud storage if the phone is backed up to iCloud.

Are you sure about this? I don't think that is accurate. Whenever I've restored from an iCloud backup, my music has never come back to my device. Also, I've currently got 15 GB of music downloaded to my iPhone and my phone's iCloud backup size is just 1.5 GB. My 200 GB of iCloud storage is currently being used by my 28 GB of photos, my iPhone and iPad backup, and the few apps I use that store data in iCloud. I don't believe downloading any music will affect the iCloud 5 GB storage.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I wish Apple would be more clear about this. Having to concern yourself with iCloud automatically puts them behind the other music services, IMO.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure about this? I don't think that is accurate. Whenever I've restored from an iCloud backup, my music has never come back to my device. Also, I've currently got 15 GB of music downloaded to my iPhone and my phone's iCloud backup size is just 1.5 GB. My 200 GB of iCloud storage is currently being used by my 28 GB of photos, my iPhone and iPad backup, and the few apps I use that store data in iCloud. I don't believe downloading any music will affect the iCloud 5 GB storage.

I was thinking of it taking space on the phone. I think your right.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple Music allows you to save 25k songs on the service, which aren't available in their library. It does NOT take space on your 5GB iCloud allotment. They are gonna raise that 25k to 100k when iOS 9 becomes available publicly (not beta)

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Apple Music allows you to save 25k songs on the service, which aren't available in their library. It does NOT take space on your 5GB iCloud allotment. They are gonna raise that 25k to 100k when iOS 9 becomes available publicly (not beta)

This would be great news if true. Can you provide a link for a source? I'd appreciate it very much.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't explicitly state the iCloud Music Library doesn't count against your iCloud storage, but we can all verify that it doesn't. It didn't with iTunes Match and it doesn't with Apple Music. It's called iCloud Music Library but it doesn't count against iCloud storage like iCloud Photo Library does.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated. Right now, I'm doing 90 day trials of both Apple Music and Spotify to see if I prefer either to Rhapsody.

Right now, I have no idea how it's going to turn out.