retrieving offline music

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
ok so ive noticed that i am burning through alot of data using apple music. I have been making songs available for offline listening while on wifi. it seems that I will make a particular song for offline use then search for said song and it appears that it is still not downloaded on my device.

also, how do you shuffle and listen to your own downloaded music only and not have stream songs show up. Ive toggled the show music available offline and my music still seems to be mixing with streamed music.

I want to be able to download songs while on wifi and then have only my downloaded music shuffle in the car without having to worry bout data.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
It should be enabled (green) to only show music stored to the device. It sure why it's not working to shuffle only from offline music. I haven't tried it but I will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
When I toggle the switch on, it shows only offline stored music on my device, as it should. Maybe a restart of your device could fix it:

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
When I toggle the switch on, it shows only offline stored music on my device, as it should. Maybe a restart of your device could fix it:

Ok so let me ask you. When you toggle the switch on does your device still show streamed music? I'm turning the switch on and off and streamed music is still showing.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Ok so let me ask you. When you toggle the switch on does your device still show streamed music? I'm turning the switch on and off and streamed music is still showing.

I mentioned part of this in another thread but I think that I might have a solution (workaround) if you want to try it and see if it helps you to only listen to local content on your device. Go into Settings>iTunes & App Store>Use Cellular Data and toggle that to off - that will (should) restrict/prevent automatic downloads, iTunes Match, and Apple Music from using the cellular radio for these. Secondly, after this has been done, if you still think that cellular data is being used, put your device into 'Airplane Mode' which will turn off all of your device's radios. I'm not sure if Apple Music will still show music as being available/streamed from the cloud - but with 'cellular data' toggled off, and being in 'airplane mode' I would think that there is no way for your device to actually use any of its' radios for streaming. Be mindful that if you take the second step of going into 'airplane mode' you won't be able to use wifi or Bluetooth for streaming your music.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

No, it doesn't. I have about 5000 songs in my iCloud Music Library . 90% of them were already in my iTunes on my desktop and about 200 of them were added by me from Apple Music. I have saved 110 of them for offline listening in order to save data usage.

When I toggle that switch on, my phone shows 110 songs and when I disable it, it shows all of them.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to download the one's not in my library and have them work offline? That is why I am still using Spotify: music I don't own I can download for offline use as long as I am still paying them.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
You can download for offline use anything that you add to your library. For some people music they already own needs to be downloaded again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
You can download for offline use anything that you add to your library. For some people music they already own needs to be downloaded again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think that's part of the confusion. Having to download music you already had stored on the device.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
No, it doesn't. I have about 5000 songs in my iCloud Music Library . 90% of them were already in my iTunes on my desktop and about 200 of them were added by me from Apple Music. I have saved 110 of them for offline listening in order to save data usage.

When I toggle that switch on, my phone shows 110 songs and when I disable it, it shows all of them.

Hmm, I'm going to chalk this problem of mine up to the fact that I am running ios9 beta

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Do you know why when I have the toggle on and click the 3 dots on one of the offline songs that the "make available offline" option is showing?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Do you know why when I have the toggle on and click the 3 dots on one of the offline songs that the "make available offline" option is showing?

I noticed that too. There are different ways of storing songs for offline use. I.e: song by song, an album, an artist or a complete playlist.. Only when you've saved a song individually for offline use, there will appear an icon indicating that songs is saved.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436705263.302902.jpg
(See that symbol in the right corner of All About You by Hillary Duff)

And like somebody earlier said, you can go in airplane mode to see what songs are really saved for offline use when you have the feeling the toggle is buggy.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I've kinda figured it out to where at least I can turn airplane mode on to test out my playlists.

Hopefully updates can do a few things
-make it clear which songs are streamed and which are local
-not have to make us re download music we already had stored on the device

Few other things I can't think of at the moment. I love the fact that we can mix downloaded and streamed music, I just want it to be more clear which is which

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that too. There are different ways of storing songs for offline use. I.e: song by song, an album, an artist or a complete playlist.. Only when you've saved a song individually for offline use, there will appear an icon indicating that songs is saved.

I think you nailed it here. I making entire albums available offline which doesn't seem to put that phone icon indicating for offline use.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
In addition, I noticed something else too.
When you save a playlist for offline use and later you add some songs (which weren't saved for offline use) to that playlist, they get downloaded too for offline use.

And this is one of the many reasons I love Apple products and services

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
When you save a playlist for offline use and later you add some songs (which weren't saved for offline use) to that playlist, they get downloaded too for offline use.

Oh cool. I'll test it out

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

That is great to know. It's the attention to detail that makes Apple great.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
ok so ive noticed that i am burning through alot of data using apple music. I have been making songs available for offline listening while on wifi. it seems that I will make a particular song for offline use then search for said song and it appears that it is still not downloaded on my device.

also, how do you shuffle and listen to your own downloaded music only and not have stream songs show up. Ive toggled the show music available offline and my music still seems to be mixing with streamed music.

I want to be able to download songs while on wifi and then have only my downloaded music shuffle in the car without having to worry bout data.

After you've downloaded songs for offline use, put your device in airplane mode and then play those songs. If they require online data, the songs should not play.

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
But as was sort of pointed out here, if you make an entire Playlist available for offline use, then while you do get a small "ipod" icon in the top right corner of the "cover" icon for the playlist, you do NOT get that indicator foe each individual song, and if you press the 3 buttons next to each song "Make Available Offline" shows up as one of the options...even though the song, as part of the playlist has already been downloaded onto your device and is already available for offline use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2