iCloud Music Library and Family Share

TripleBz

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello all!

I have accepted the trial for apple music for my family, 5 people and 1 iTunes accounts. I have Family Share set up and we all have separate iCloud accounts.

I have iCloud Music Library enabled on all of the devices. When I go to the devices I don't see anything under my music. I expected to see all of the music loaded under my iTunes accounts library but it is blank. Is anyone else running into this? Is there a fix or did apple miss this from Apple Music?

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
my music tab > hit the top menu where you can select artist, band etc. > make sure show music available offline is toggled off

TripleBz

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
my music tab > hit the top menu where you can select artist, band etc. > make sure show music available offline is toggled off

I checked that and it is toggled off. Should members of the family share see each others iCloud Music Library in My Music?

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Try hiding Apple music in settings and rebooting. Unhide after that. Your local music should be there. If that don't work the nuclear option is probably needed.

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If I download Music ("Make Available Off-line" as Apple calls it) will every member of the Family Shares also automatically have that music downloaded onto their device, or can they do whatever they want with music on their device? In a similar question, I assume that the playlists and the tracks I add to MyMusic do NOT automatically get added to each and every other family member of the family share?

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Thx. I have been using Rdio for the past few years and I really feel it is the best $10 / month that I spend. I get a ton of enjoyment out of it. The only real reason I would consider moving to Apple Music is the family share for $15. With 4 kids, the $15 for the entire family is a very significant saving over what that would cost me on Rdio.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you don't care about sharing playlists etc, then you can sign up for the family plan on one Apple ID and up to 6 devices can stream at the same time.

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
That was my question. If I sign up for the family plan on one (my) Apple ID, and then let 4 kids stream at the same time, can each of my 4 kids have their own individual / independent playlists, downloads, and Music libraries. I got the impression for yaynative that the answer is yes, they can.

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
correct, that is how it is working for me. I added individual apple IDs to the family share and each act independently on apple music

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
That was my question. If I sign up for the family plan on one (my) Apple ID, and then let 4 kids stream at the same time, can each of my 4 kids have their own individual / independent playlists, downloads, and Music libraries. I got the impression for yaynative that the answer is yes, they can.

You can all create playlists but they are available to everyone. If you use separate AppleID's and Family Sharing then all the music, preferences and music is separated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711