Shuffle All songs within an artist?

Codeworks

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello, all.

I am trying to shuffle all songs amongst all albums for a particular artist.

In iTunes it is pretty easy. I choose the artist and there is a little shuffle button. If I use my iPhone and go to my library and choose the artist, I cannot figure out where to shuffle all songs.

For example, I am a Triumph fan and have 13 albums in my library. It is easy enough to shuffle songs within 1 album, but how do you shuffle songs amongst all 13 albums?

Thanks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Make a playlist, sync that to the phone... Open the playlist on the phone...and start it playing... And on the 'now playing' screen, you can select to shuffle there.

Wayne Smith10

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
While creating a separate playlist for every single artist in a catalog is certainly a work-around, it appears Apple has disabled a very handy feature that was there before this "upgrade." Now, the only way to shuffle all songs by an artist appears to be siri.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I've come to discover with the new music player and Apple Music in iOS 8.4 - when in doubt, tap. If you want to play back all music by an artist on your device, tap (touch) the image of the artist that is to the left of the artist's name while you're on the Artist Pane of My Music in the music player. This will start playback of the first track you have from that artist on your device. Then, to have that artist's music shuffled, go to the Now Playing screen and select the shuffle icon to begin shuffling the rest of their music. Actually, there are some things in the 8.4 music player that are somewhat reminiscent of the... Zune HD music player (for the two or three of us that bought one). In the case of the Zune HD there would be a small 'play' arrow in a circle over the artist's image so that it would/should? be obvious what tapping (touching) the image would do. Although Apple doesn't do this in the new music player they do show the 'pause' symbol in a circle superimposed over the artist's image in the Artist Pane. There also is an indicator of where you are on the track currently playing, this is shown as a thin red/pink? line advancing around the diameter of the circle. Overall I like the new music player even though some things aren't as obvious as they used to be, should be. Again when in doubt, tap ;-)

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I've come to discover with the new music player and Apple Music in iOS 8.4 - when in doubt, tap. If you want to play back all music by an artist on your device, tap (touch) the image of the artist that is to the left of the artist's name while you're on the Artist Pane of My Music in the music player. This will start playback of the first track you have from that artist on your device. Then, to have that artist's music shuffled, go to the Now Playing screen and select the shuffle icon to begin shuffling the rest of their music. Actually, there are some things in the 8.4 music player that are somewhat reminiscent of the... Zune HD music player (for the two or three of us that bought one). In the case of the Zune HD there would be a small 'play' arrow in a circle over the artist's image so that it would/should? be obvious what tapping (touching) the image would do. Although Apple doesn't do this in the new music player they do show the 'pause' symbol in a circle superimposed over the artist's image in the Artist Pane. There also is an indicator of where you are on the track currently playing, this is shown as a thin red/pink? line advancing around the diameter of the circle. Overall I like the new music player even though some things aren't as obvious as they used to be, should be. Again when in doubt, tap ;-)

That is excellent advice that I hope many people will come through here and find. I too was fiddling around yesterday and found so many "hidden" things by tapping on artist names, song names, etc that portrayed no obvious signs of linking to other things. Such as tapping on an artist's name in the 'New' section to reveal a full Bio of the artist and near countless suggestions of similar artists. Pretty sweet but not so much intuitive. I am just glad the features are there.

beingbenjamin

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Yah that's a good workaround but I really don't want to hear the first song of the first album every time I want to start playing that artist.

freediverx

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Make a playlist, sync that to the phone... Open the playlist on the phone...and start it playing... And on the 'now playing' screen, you can select to shuffle there.

This is ridiculous. In Beats Music you could easily search for an artist, and then immediately browse a list of their albums, songs, even EPs, with full control over sorting (alphabetical, release date, ascending/descending). For something this basic to require such a convoluted workaround speaks volumes about this new service (designed for record labels, by a committee of 50-something billionaire executives.)

This is even worse than their lack of "and/or" boolean operators. For example, how are you supposed to create a smart playlist for songs added in the last 6 months, with a 2+ star rating OR "loved" = true?

Ron Freeman Jr

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
thank you thank you thank you! mine updated while i was at work today and for the life of me i couldnt figure that out. lol. guess ill have to spend some time playing with the new music player. :)

TinCanGoat

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, me trying to shuffle all songs by "Aer" brought me here. The portrait icon works to shuffle the songs, but it's not intuitive at all. Especially considering that you can choose "artist" from the drop-down and the option to shuffle all songs should be on that "artist" screen, but isn't.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing a shuffle on artists pages now. I could have sworn it wasn't there before, but I have it now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

miket222

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I go to "My Music"... In the center near the top, I sort my music by Artist.... Go to the Artist that you wish to shuffle, and click on that Artist name....there is a shuffle selection at the top. Click on that and it shuffles the artist, always starting at a different song

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I go to "My Music"... In the center near the top, I sort my music by Artist.... Go to the Artist that you wish to shuffle, and click on that Artist name....there is a shuffle selection at the top. Click on that and it shuffles the artist, always starting at a different song

This thread was created way before iOS 9 came out. But thanks for the information anyway