Is the Touch Bar and USB-C port that bad?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Now that the new MacBooks have been out for a while, how have you adjusted to the Touch Bar and single USB-C port? Is it really as big of an issue as everyone made it out to be? While I don't currently need a new MacBook I'm sure Apple will continue this trend in the future. Is this future something we need to worry about or is it just smoke?

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Is it really as big of an issue as everyone made it out to be?

YES!, na I'm joking haha :D I think if there was a SD Card slot and 32GB RAM option, things would have been a lot smoother.

I think its the normal conversion process. In order to improve and move forward to better ports, we will unfortunately have all our older products needing adapters until we upgrade. Apple is still currently in the moulting phase and i think in the next 2 years, things should be much better. Being able to use any port for all my devices is really cool.

Regarding the Touch-Bar, i think its really awesome, but for me, i would just use it for turning the volume & screen brightness up and down. So I'm definitely not using it to is full potential. :)

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Can't speak for the TouchBar since I consider it to be a completely useless gadget and have consequently bought the 13" non-TouchBar model, but the USB-C ports are definitely a downer. Colleague comes over with a thumb drive with an important spreadsheet that I need to look at - need an adapter. I need to hook up my laptop to a projector or big screen TV during a meeting - need an adapter. I want connect my iPhone to my MacBook Pro to transfer a bunch of photos - need an adapter or a new cable. External hard drive for Time Machine backups - need an adapter, a new enclosure, or a new external hard drive. I could continue but you get the picture.

It's simply annoying that's all. Depending on how often you connect things to your MacBook it will get either mildly or massively annoying over time. For me, it's leaning towards mildly now because I have simply given up completely and don't feel like carrying around a second bag full of adapters everywhere I go.

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the touch bar MacBook Pro and I love it. Even for the little conveniences the touch bar creates. I see a lot of potential and hopefully apps take even more advantage of it. I think once again apple is ahead of it's time giving us something we didn't know we needed. I bought a surface pro 2017 at first but I don't like touching laptop screens. The iPad no problem. The touch bar is great because you don't touch the screen it compliments the keyboard and GUI

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have gotten really use to the touch bar. It offer a lot more flexibility when it comes to reacting with your Mac. The USB-c port does have some pretty good accessories now. I have a 128gb USBc stick that has the old USB on the other side. Its compact and works nicely. I often find myself moving around and USB charging ports on both sides of the Touch Bar pro is also a plus. I would rather have the MacBook 12 than a non-touchbar pro. The Touch Bar is the future for apple laptops.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the 12-inch MacBook and thought I would hate the single USB-C port but honestly, it's not a big deal at all. Just make sure to get an adapter that has at least a USB port, HDMI port and a USB-C port and you'll be fine. 🏻*

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the 12-inch MacBook and thought I would hate the single USB-C port but honestly, it's not a big deal at all. Just make sure to get an adapter that has at least a USB port, HDMI port and a USB-C port and you'll be fine. 🏻*

With that adapter can you charge your MacBook and have something plugged into the USB port and use the HDMI port at the same time?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I just ordered the 15" Cadillac :) model so it should be here soon. Will let you know if it's an issue or not. I'm thinking it probably won't be an issue for me.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
With that adapter can you charge your MacBook and have something plugged into the USB port and use the HDMI port at the same time?

I haven't needed to use both the USB and HDMI together yet but yes, with one it was charging at the same time.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2