This might sound like a stupid question but...

Malek Yamout

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
If the MacBook is on and instead of turning it off then closing it you close it while it's still on. Will that damage the computer? Because I know that if you do that with pc's it will damage it

goku_vegeta

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If the MacBook is on and instead of turning it off then closing it you close it while it's still on. Will that damage the computer? Because I know that if you do that with pc's it will damage it

By closing it do you mean closing the lid? If so, then no it will not.

You should explain what you mean by it damages PC's. I have a feeling I know what is but would be great if you can clarify.

Malek Yamout

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
By closing it do you mean closing the lid? If so, then no it will not.

You should explain what you mean by it damages PC's. I have a feeling I know what is but would be great if you can clarify.

Yes I mean closing the lid, for PC's I was always told not to close the lid as it does not automatically hibernate when you close it, it stays open and might even damage the computer

goku_vegeta

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes I mean closing the lid, for PC's I was always told not to close the lid as it does not automatically hibernate when you close it, it stays open and might even damage the computer

No, they go to sleep automatically unless you have manually changed the power options (Windows PC's) for it to not go to sleep.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
The laptop goes to sleep when you shut the lid, I frequently do that for short trips, though if I head into the Airport, or long trips, I shut the laptop down.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
No. Absolutely incorrect. Closing the cover on a Windows PC and/or putting it into hibernation mode will NOT damage a PC.

The only way to potentially (and I say potentially) is that the computer does not go into sleep/hibernation after closing the lid, or it wakes up with the lid closed. I had an old dell that this occurred, I'm not sure if it failed to enter hibernation or it woke up, but when I pulled it out of the case, the fans were going full blast and it was wicked hot.

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a question, do you put a hard case on your MacBook? Because I might be getting the new MacBook and it's so thin, light, and beautiful to put a case on but what if I drop it?

Depends on the user, I am not concerned about dropping my macbook's but I do have lightweight impact protectors; it looks nice with it on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal