I'm unsure of Which Mac is Necessary for Needs

Williams_810

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm interested in transitioning from Windows to Mac, but am unsure of what to go for. I took to some of the buyers guides for an idea ? the Mac Buyers Guide, for instance ? and felt unsure of what would totally meet my needs, as I largely use a computer for school work.

Additionally, I work with news articles, photos and video a lot because of the fields that I'm aspiring to work in (journalism and public relations).

I have at least one particular model in mind ? the MacBook Pro sans Retina display. I'm also considering the MacBook Air, but I'm not truly set on which pre-configured model I may want most.

I understand that it's entirely my own decision, but I'm interested in getting extra opinions from others here in the iMore community.

Khalil Williams
iPhone 5 16GB user since June 2015
iPad mini user since July 2015
Enthusiastic over cars, journalism/pr, Europe, and everything Windows and Mac

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Either device will be sufficient. Just be sure it has a good deal of RAM (at least 8GB) and enough storage space to suit your needs.

Williams_810

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely recommend the Pro w/ retina since you work with photos and video a lot.
Just for general web browsing and school work and watching videos, the Air or the new MacBook would be fine. But I think for working with photos and videos (assuming you meant lots of editing and such), you would benefit from the extra oomph of the Pro. And the retina will also halo a lot with those tasks.

I'll admit, after having visited my local Best Buy yesterday, I was smitten by the MacBook Pro w/ retina display. I was largely looking at the older version w/o the display and I had at least one Best Buy sales consultant tell me that I'd be wise to turn away from that model and just get the new one. The Apple Consultant working there was quick to cosign to that point of view once I told her that.

I was ? and still am ? still trying to hold myself back from buying it since I had my crappy-*** Samsung Windows laptop upgraded to Windows 10 and things were running okay to this point. However, considering that that laptop caused me plenty of grief (hard drive crashes, screen text becoming unlegible twice (picture to come up in a following post), and having no choice but to use the W10 Technical Preview just so I could use the damn thing, I'm deftly tempted.

Khalil Williams

Williams_810

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I've gone and done it! I've went and picked up a 13-in. MacBook Air today. I went with Air over Pro because I took some time to really think about realistic use of the applications that I say I use (e.g. Adobe CS6, etc.) and I came to the conclusion that I really didn't need that kind of heavy-duty power. I don't do that much major editing with photos and videos (at most, it's largely light editing). Also, because I have access to similar tools elsewhere at home, and my major bias towards news writing, I feel as though I can largely survive without the Pro.

Khalil Williams

Williams_810

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Also, here's the picture of my Windows laptop, when it had the WIndows 10 Technical Preview:
6c3b50265e9cdb3a303698de10d60801.jpg

It was really bad, and it wasn't the first time that it happened. That laptop came with Windows 8 installed and the same thing happened to it back in March. These troubles helped lead me to make the jump between Windows and Mac.

Khalil Williams