AirPort Extreme issues

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The range on one of my airport extremes is very bad. I asked Time Warner about it, and they said to "set up the channel settings to 11 and encryption settings to TKIP+AES". First off, I have three routers; one is the twc modem that acts as a router as well, and two airport extremes (connected to the modem obviously). They are on separate networks (means I have three different networks in my house). Second, the channel 11 is only for the 2.4GHz channel and they didn't tell me what to do for the 5GHz connection. Third, I can't find how to change the encryption settings to TKIP+AES. All of my routers, including the twc modem, are all on a different 2.4GHz and 5GHz channel, but I just did it randomly. I did that as when it was on auto, my connection would drop more often. If you guys could help me, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks :)

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, for starters, why do you have so many Wi-Fi networks in your house? Wi-Fi networks can interfere with each other, particularly the 2.4GHz ones. Moreover, if you have many neighbors within close proximity, there Wi-Fi can exacerbate the problem. So, that could be causing part of your issue.

Also, 5GHz Wi-Fi has a much shorter range; therefore, it should be used for close connections that require more speed.

My advice would be to simplify your setup if you can, and I think you'll notice marked improvement.

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, for starters, why do you have so many Wi-Fi networks in your house? Wi-Fi networks can interfere with each other, particularly the 2.4GHz ones. Moreover, if you have many neighbors within close proximity, there Wi-Fi can exacerbate the problem. So, that could be causing part of your issue.

Also, 5GHz Wi-Fi has a much shorter range; therefore, it should be used for close connections that require more speed.

My advice would be to simplify your setup if you can, and I think you'll notice marked improvement.

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, idk why I have so many networks. Just at this point, I don't know how to link them all together and just make one network, as two of my routers are Airport Extremes and the other is from the twc modem (router built into it).

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I turned off WiFi on the Time Warner Cable Modem, and just use the AirPort Extreme. A single extreme works well in our house, but if you think more range or signal strength is needed, you can bridge together one of your AirPort Extreme's with the other one. Just make one the main WiFi/router, and extend the network to your second one.

That's the setup I had with an older model Extreme (the version before the current tower style AirPort Extreme). Connected one AirPort Express on one side of the house, and another Express from the bedroom on the other side - both to the older Extreme. Worked well enough.

Updated to a current generation Extreme https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2527857%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=9sgAx-oQ , and now don't need the two Express.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I turned off WiFi on the Time Warner Cable Modem, and just use the AirPort Extreme. A single extreme works well in our house, but if you think more range or signal strength is needed, you can bridge together one of your AirPort Extreme's with the other one. Just make one the main WiFi/router, and extend the network to your second one.

That's the setup I had with an older model Extreme (the version before the current tower style AirPort Extreme). Connected one AirPort Express on one side of the house, and another Express from the bedroom on the other side - both to the older Extreme. Worked well enough.

Updated to a current generation Extreme https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2536369%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=XgzxDDgs , and now don't need the two Express.

I'm late to this party- I am getting an AirPort Extreme tomorrow to add to my current set up which is frontier internet with an Arris
NVG589 TRIPLE PLAY RESIDENTIAL GATEWAY. My wifi speeds are horrible and the tech said this would really help me. (I got them to pay for it). They had tried an access point but that doesn't work great. Do I basically unplug the access point and plug the airport in with that Ethernet cord? I assume I will then have to run the airport utility. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If you are directly connected to the NVG589 with wired Ethernet, are internet speeds good? If so, then it sounds like the WiFi portion of the NVG589 may not be working well or fast enough for your needs. Thus assuming that the speeds from your NVG589 to Frontier Internet are good, adding in the AirPort Extreme for WiFi should help.

If I understand your current setup correctly, then yes, just unplug the current access point, and plug in the AirPort Express. You will have to run setup via the AirPort Utility, and then reconnect your WiFi devices to the new access point (Extreme).

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If you are directly connected to the NVG589 with wired Ethernet, are internet speeds good? If so, then it sounds like the WiFi portion of the NVG589 may not be working well or fast enough for your needs. Thus assuming that the speeds from your NVG589 to Frontier Internet are good, adding in the AirPort Extreme for WiFi should help.

If I understand your current setup correctly, then yes, just unplug the current access point, and plug in the AirPort Express. You will have to run setup via the AirPort Utility, and then reconnect your WiFi devices to the new access point (Extreme).

Yeah my iMac is connected via wire and I get the 24mbps. Wifi tho I'm lucky to get 12. The access point either gets 22 or will dip to like 4. Very frustrating. The tech supervisor mentioned the AirPort Extreme.
I will unplug the access point and plug into the airport tomorrow when I get it.
Do I need to turn off the wifi on the NVG589? The tech who installed it was going to disable but didn't cause my nest thermostat and wireless speakers couldn't see the access point network.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Ah, good to know wired is working well. There's probably nothing wrong with leaving the NVG589 WiFi on if you'd like your Nest and wireless speakers to stay on that network. Your iMac or another system will still need to be able to communicate with the Nest and speakers if you decide to leave them on the NVG589's WiFi.

You could try to see if the Nest and speakers can connect to the Extreme. That way all of your home network devices will be on one network - if that's what you want. Then if everything works well on the Extreme network, you could try to turn off the NVG589's WiFi. That's what I'd try to do to help simplify things down to one network.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Ah, good to know wired is working well. There's probably nothing wrong with leaving the NVG589 WiFi on if you'd like your Nest and wireless speakers to stay on that network. Your iMac or another system will still need to be able to communicate with the Nest and speakers if you decide to leave them on the NVG589's WiFi.

You could try to see if the Nest and speakers can connect to the Extreme. That way all of your home network devices will be on one network - if that's what you want. Then if everything works well on the Extreme network, you could try to turn off the NVG589's WiFi. That's what I'd try to do to help simplify things down to one network.

What do you mean by Your iMac or another system will still need to be able to communicate with the Nest and speakers if you decide to leave them on the NVG589's WiFi.? Not sure I understand

Sent from my iPhone 6

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If the Nest and speakers stay on the NVG589's WiFi network, then they will be "stranded". They (Nest and speakers) will still technically work, however, if you want to communicate with them over WiFi from a computer or mobile device, then they (iMac, mobile devices) will need to be on the same WiFi network as the Nest and speakers. From what you shared above, this situation is why the technician didn't turn off the NVG589's WiFi.

If you turn off the NVG589's WiFi, setup all of your computers, and other devices that may use WiFi (as an example - iPad, iPod, printer, Apple TV, DVD player, smart TV...) to be on the Extreme; then your iMac just needs to be connected to and communicate on a single network (the Extreme's). Doing so will avoid "stranding", and needing to maintain and manage a more complicated (in my view) home network.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If the Nest and speakers stay on the NVG589's WiFi network, then they will be "stranded". They (Nest and speakers) will still technically work, however, if you want to communicate with them over WiFi from a computer or mobile device, then they (iMac, mobile devices) will need to be on the same WiFi network as the Nest and speakers. From what you shared above, this situation is why the technician didn't turn off the NVG589's WiFi.

If you turn off the NVG589's WiFi, setup all of your computers, and other devices that may use WiFi (as an example - iPad, iPod, printer, Apple TV, DVD player, smart TV...) to be on the Extreme; then your iMac just needs to be connected to and communicate on a single network (the Extreme's). Doing so will avoid "stranding", and needing to maintain and manage a more complicated (in my view) home network.

Ok cool that makes sense. The nest actually doesn't need to be on the same network to control it. And oddly the Heos wifi speakers actually worked when my phone was on the access point and speakers were on the NVG589. I don't mind putting them all on the same. As long as they can't see the AirPort Extreme. Not sure why it couldn't see the access point. My xm radio also couldn't see it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Also been seeing different things about bridge mode. Do I want to set it up as bridge or as new network

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If I understand correctly, a bridge would be for the AirPort Extreme joining the existing NVG589's WiFi network. A new network would be for the Extreme taking over WiFi duties for the devices in your home network. I think the latter is what you're wanting to do based upon the problems with the NVG589 WiFi that you were having.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn't let me set it up as new. It automatically went into bridge mode. I didn't turn the wifi off on the NVG589. I don't know how.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It's still taking over the wifi duties tho. I migrated everything over to the airport

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW