Would you buy an Apple iTV television?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I shudder at the thought of lining up every year to buy a $5K Apple iTV television the way I currently buy iPhone and iPad devices.

I'm hoping Apple knows the cycle will have to be different, but I'm also a huge fan of their technology so the idea of getting a *better* television entices me...

What about you, would you buy one?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather have an updated AppleTV like the version I have (first gen with storage...) that I can hook into my current TV that is about 18mo. old, and have the Remote app on my iPhone control it... and have the Remote app be Siri friendly...

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I just through watching a movie on my jailbroken ATV2, don't think I'd but a whole tv I prefer the one I have now.

Magically beamed through the internut on my LifeProof'd iPhone using Tapatalk.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
There is a 0.0% chance of me ever considering one until one of my TVs dies. When that happens I guess I would consider it but price will be large factor.

I await Apple's definition of what a "better" TV will do for me.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I think I would like to get an updated AppleTV too, and now Im enjoy with my ATV2, as in the help of handbrake and ifunia, it's a nice home centre for my family, but maybe can get some more exciting like have the Remote app be Siri friendly~

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
There's no chance i'd pay 5k for a tv by anyone. I'd maybe pay 2k and it would have to be top notch and give more then any other tv like a couple terabyte hard drive, apple tv with every darn format and codec not just quicktime or whatever. And it would have to look damn sexy and sleek. And even then i'd still probably rather have a 60 inch affordable one from Costco.

But i don't buy products just cause apple makes stuff. i don't have an ipad and this is my first iphone. i don't line up or camp out and i don't need to have the latest tech. If it fits my needs and it's affordable i'll get something. For example the ipad doesn't fit my needs and i don't find it affordable so i don't have one. It's a fine product but not worth it for me. A tv by apple would be the same value proposition. That's the big thing it's a value decisions. Do i need it and is it affordable? If not i'd pass. The other thing is i got a perfectly good working 55 inch tv now so my next tv is likely either an affordable 40 or 42 inch tv for the bedroom or a 60+ inch tv and moving the 55 inch tv into the bedroom (which may be just too big for the room) but i'm not sure if any apple tv would fit. If its smaller i wouldn't overpay and apple stuff is pricey and if it a 60+ inch tv and by apple you can bet that would be super pricey too. But the other thing is i'm not buying a tv until i need one. i'm surely not buying one every couple of years.

When it comes to TVs i think my future is a lot closer to Vizio then Apple.

It's not gonna be called itv is it? Isn't ITV a british tv network that already fought Apple out of the name? ITV It's not like a tv network is gonna just give up it's name. Can you imagine some company trying to strong arm ESPN to change it's name cause they wanted an E at the front of their name? Regardless I don't think the name will be iTV.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Perhaps this thread would be better served if you defined what you think this tv might be.

An all in one? Not interested. Something approaching 5k? I don't think Apple is that stupid.

Like someone else said, Apple has to design something that will tempt you away from the 60" vizio or costco special and needs to be close by in price range if not lower. And as mentioned in the OP, what's the cycle going to be like? Apple has been making a living with iOS getting people to stand in lines upgrading once a year.

This "tv" will need to be a similar cycle IMO, or Apple shouldn't be getting involved.

Google made android so they could be assured to be on mobile devices for search and ads. For airplay and mirroring to take off, Apple might need to think similar. Or do they?

Personally, i like one of the comments on the frontpage a while back best. Apple needs their "tv" to be a "kindle fire", or a device made for tv's and designed to take full advantage of iOS and its ecosystem. It needs to be cheap. A lesser (7") ipad or remote while also doubling as a Fire competitor? The other side of the equation, tv screens,could be made in various sizes but made to work seamlessly with iOS devices, especially any new smaller pad.

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
New good 56-70" TVs are $3k. Apple's won't have to be cheaper (they never are), it'll have to offer something better. Personally I think the new expensive TVs with the built-in access to the online content in various flavors suck. And right next to the $3k one there's another one for half the price that looks just like it. They pimp "3D" compatability, the refresh rate, all these numbers, and YouTube and stuff, with fancy remotes (gack). I thing it's increasingly confusing and reeks of obsolescence (much like cellphones, which are way cheaper and go every 2 years). You always wanna wait to see what's there next week, for the price to come down. Apple will have to make it simpler, with about a 5 year lifespan, upgradable, voice activated, no boxes under there, for around 3 grand, no deals. And it has to look great and come in a cool box too. And they can't sell it at Cosco. If they can do that they can take Samsung and Sanyo and LG and the other 20 brands to the cleaners like they did with phones and tablets.

Last edited:

scionwest

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I shudder at the thought of lining up every year to buy a $5K Apple iTV television the way I currently buy iPhone and iPad devices.

I'm hoping Apple knows the cycle will have to be different, but I'm also a huge fan of their technology so the idea of getting a *better* television entices me...

What about you, would you buy one?

It wouldn't be any different than Samsung or Vizio who releases new tvs every year. At least apple let's you upgrade the OS usually which is better than other tv companies.

Posted from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
The apple TV is just fine for me. I just cannot see moving to the update cycle for my television. I haven't even bothered to get a 3D TV. I know it's not exactly the same, but I just don't see myself buying one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd probably say i'd end up buying one because you know apple will at least make it worth it, but currently I'm completely please with my apple tv 2nd gen. I do think it could use siri built in and a few more video sites to stream, but i love it. If the Apple television DOES come to market i can't wait to see what will be in that thing and how it could be upgraded and worth it year by year. I think it won't be as your saying, like shelling out 5 grand a year. Apple's extremely consumer focused and thats just implausible to think of blowing that much money every year!

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
With the New tvs on the horizon 5k doesn't sound like a bad deal. OLED, 3D glasses free, crystal LED, 4k resolution. TVs will be definitely advancing a bit in the next year or two. Honestly for me to buy it for 5k though it would have to have some serious specs to compete with what's coming out.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk

Last edited:

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
sorry but to me 5K sounds ridiculous for a TV. It would have to be over 70 inches and the greatest tv in the history of tvs. My dad just got a nearly 70 inch tv by Sharp that's got an exceptional picture 3D that he didn't even care about, apps like netflix and pandora internally, many hdmi ports and audio output options, wifi connectivity, ethernet, it connects to a dnla server, it will play almost every type of video you can throw at it included mkvs off of any attached hard drive. You just plug in the USB cable and its' got menus for pics, music and video. And he got it for about $1700. For more then double that Zoe Saldana better deliver it, set it up, and promise to be my love slave.

Reactions: DaPhoneking