Can I force my iPhone to use cellular data rather than wifi, when wifi is connected?

I

iMore Question

Can I force my iPhone to use cellular data rather than wifi, when wifi is connected.

I have 50+ mb/s AT&T LTE with unlimited data, and I connect to a lightly used tower, so I get full speed LTE all the time on my iPhone 6+ running iOS 8.4. My internet connection via DSL is rather slow in comparison at 1 mb/s so there are times when I'm watching Netflix or other streaming media where I would rather stream via LTE and then airplay over to my AppleTV, but there is the problem. WiFi has to be enabled to Airplay and the iPhone then defaults back to slow WiFi/ DSL. I could disconnect the DSL modem from the the DSL line, but other members of the family want the internet connection for email, web surfing, etc. So, can I force the iphone to temporarily only use LTE for the streaming download when there is an active WiFi internet connection. Also we have multiple apple tvs laying around, so if any are 3rd generation, can I enable peer to peer only between the iphone and the apple tv to get around this issue?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can I force my iPhone to use cellular data rather than wifi, when wifi is connected.

I have 50+ mb/s AT&T LTE with unlimited data, and I connect to a lightly used tower, so I get full speed LTE all the time on my iPhone 6+ running iOS 8.4. My internet connection via DSL is rather slow in comparison at 1 mb/s so there are times when I'm watching Netflix or other streaming media where I would rather stream via LTE and then airplay over to my AppleTV, but there is the problem. WiFi has to be enabled to Airplay and the iPhone then defaults back to slow WiFi/ DSL. I could disconnect the DSL modem from the the DSL line, but other members of the family want the internet connection for email, web surfing, etc. So, can I force the iphone to temporarily only use LTE for the streaming download when there is an active WiFi internet connection. Also we have multiple apple tvs laying around, so if any are 3rd generation, can I enable peer to peer only between the iphone and the apple tv to get around this issue?

Just turn off wifi when you want to use cellular data.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73