Which macs have you always wanted?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Speaking for myself, there are two pieces of retro Apple hardware I've always wanted to pick up. Haven't done it yet, but one day I probably will.

The first is the original Apple Newton. This device was well ahead of its time, but was a major flop. Still, for some reason I want to get my hands on one.

Second would be a Macintosh Classic II. I used one of these when I got to junior high. Learned how to type on it. Learned how to use such amazing programs as 'hypercard' and others... plus did a lot of drafting and other really cool things (at the time) on one of these.

macintosh-classic-II.jpg

Oh, nostalgia :)

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I actually had one of those Macintosh Classic II's as a kid. At the time, I didn't know what it was, I just thought it was a 'computer'. It was given to me by one of my Mothers friends and I never really did much on it except play that game, if I recall correctly, called Stunt Copter. The one where you had to drop the man onto the haystack being pulled by a horse. I'd love to still have it now that I know what exactly it was lol

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I?d love to get my hands on a Mac Classic... and I am somehow also drawn to the CRT all-in-one Mac and the "iLamp" iMac - the first flat panel iMac with the adjustable screen...

Attachments

• iMacDV-Lineup2.jpg
    iMacDV-Lineup2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 45
  • iMacG4-17.jpg
    iMacG4-17.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 45

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I also want a LCD iMac. My friend got one that his school was ditching in pretty good shape. I'm going to try to pry it off his hands.

2012 21" iMac
2012 11" MacBook Air
16 GB Space Gray AT&T iPhone 5s
16 GB Space Gray AT&T iPad Air

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the middle of trying to get a G4 Mac. When I got my first job and knew nothing about Macs or Apple, I was a die hard Windows fan, it was the one I fell in love with. The lines of it, the clear case and the colors, like Apple said it certainly didn't look like the beige boxes of that time. I would also love to get my hands on a NeXT Cube :biggrin: one of those $100,000 dollar ones couldn't hurt either lol like if I was to find it at a yard sale.

Here's an additional question

Lets say you're at a garage sale and you see an Apple I and you know it's worth like $50K. The seller is selling it for $1
Do you

A) tell them what it's worth
B) buy it sell it and give them half the cash
C) buy it for a $1 finders keepers fare and sqaure

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the middle of trying to get a G4 Mac. When I got my first job and knew nothing about Macs or Apple, I was a die hard Windows fan, it was the one I fell in love with. The lines of it, the clear case and the colors, like Apple said it certainly didn't look like the beige boxes of that time. I would also love to get my hands on a NeXT Cube :biggrin: one of those $100,000 dollar ones couldn't hurt either lol like if I was to find it at a yard sale.

Here's an additional question

Lets say you're at a garage sale and you see an Apple I and you know it's worth like $50K. The seller is selling it for $1
Do you

A) tell them what it's worth
B) buy it sell it and give them half the cash
C) buy it for a $1 finders keepers fare and sqaure

I would first C then lock it in my car then A .. If they are nice then B if not back to C lol

mr-o

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
The Cube.

Not to use, I heard it's a dog, but to gut and turn into a piece of interesting home art or something functional like a fish tank ;)

BitPusher2600

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking of making a post just like this James, you beat me to it!

iMoreAppImg_20150921_115435.jpg

I still have the very iMac unit I had in my room in the latter half of high school and it still works. It's funny to fire it up and look at some of the notes and papers I had in Appleworks on there. I love this thing.

What really breaks my heart with nostalgia is that I can't find the Mac I had when I was pre-teen and early teen, no idea exactly what it was. It was a flat desktop and the monitor sat on top, it had a floppy and a cd-rom and i'm telling ya my mom had to force me to go outside to play sometimes, you couldn't pull me away. Used Mactracker trying to figure out which one I had but I can't be sure. I'd give almost anything to have that dude back.

Anyway, it's neat knowing there are folks out there who still have or I should say still have love for stuff that had such positive impact on their lives so long ago now. Cheers!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I actually had one of those Macintosh Classic II's as a kid. At the time, I didn't know what it was, I just thought it was a 'computer'.

Yeah but who knew it would one day become the valuable piece of retro hardware it is today!
My first computer wasn't a Mac, but an Apple. I had an Apple IIc as a kid and I loved that thing. I really wish I still had it.