Should I worry about viruses/malware?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if I should be concerned about viruses/malware on my 27inch iMac. I come from many years using Windows where you had to be on your toes at all times regarding viruses and malware. I try to download all I can from the Mac App Store, but obviously there's some programs where I need to download them from the Internet, and that makes me nervous. I recently installed a program called timemachineeditor from the Internet (first I downloaded the package from a Macworld.UK article then, because I was worried, deleted that then went to the actual Devon website to download it) but I'm worried it could have possibly had a virus or malware. The program says that the certificate was verified, does that mean it's safe?

Anyway, any advice on safe downloading tips? Do I need some kind of anti virus or malware?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Viruses... not really... malware/adware/browser jackers - yes... there are apps out there to scan for it... but truthfully, if you don't install apps or anything from outside the Mac AppStore - you should be fine.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Viruses... not really... malware/adware/browser jackers - yes... there are apps out there to scan for it... but truthfully, if you don't install apps or anything from outside the Mac AppStore - you should be fine.

Right, but as I said there are some programs I need that are not in the App Store. And I want to make sure they are safe

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have always said you should watch what websites you visit and never open email attachments from people you don't know.

I also have been running the paid version of DrWebb for the past couple of years and has worked quite well and will block websites which are known to have malware.

smunro622

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I run Eset on my A1186 Mac Pro for a few reasons, the new ransom ware is running in java and flash so Mac is able to be targeted.
Is it at the top of my list of worries no.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
No computer is safe from viruses or malware, even Apple can be hit. I had mentioned earlier, I have VIPRE. I used it when I was on PC prior to changing to Apple. I have had no issues and it will catch if there are issues. I recommend Vipre.

It is up to you, but it is good o protect your Mac.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2