Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

1 Posts

Default Just looking for suggestions

After almost losing some data I thought it was time to get some solid backup practices in place. I have a Macbook Pro and there are 2 iMacs in my household. I am in the process of setting up an older Mac Mini with a 4 TB USB drive.

The plan is to upgrade the Mini to OS X server. Partition the USB drive for general file storage and Time Machine backups of our 3 Macs. I thin that's a good start. Might down the road get a second USB drive and configure a RAID 1 so that I have a mirror of everything locally.

Now here is my questions, I have done some research on some off site back up solutions, would it be possible or even recommended to back up the server, with the Time Machine backups and files to something like Amazon S3 or other off site backup?

Thanks for your suggestions.
    iMore Genius

20,842 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,723 Global Posts

Default Re: Just looking for suggestions

If you're using iCloud and TimeMachine you've got a lot backed up redundantly...and with iTunes you can always re-download purchases... Off site isn't a bad idea... Especially stuff that's 'outside' the Apple ecosystem...