Apple Car finishes...just a thought

nickpthemft

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So I had a thought about the Apple Car on my way home from work the other day. This is all purely predicated on the fact that Apple is, in fact, working towards producing a car.

Since most body panels in production vehicles are mild steel, or aluminum (occasionally), and Apple has a penchant for developing their own alloys, what if they developed their own (or use their already-developed 316L or 7000-series) alloys for body panels. And, to continue that line of thought, their own finishing as well.

Not sure how it would look, but I could easily see their being anodized 7000-series aluminum body panels in colors that are evidently Apple. And, they could develop two lines of vehicles. The Apple Car and Apple Car Plus, which would be differentiated based on finish alone, not features. Apple Car would use anodized 7000-series body panels, and the Apple Car Plus would use 316L panels (or something similar) with DLC coating, and possibly some color embedded into the coating to offer more options than just black. Although, I could definitely get on board with a black DLC Apple Car Plus.

Thoughts?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Just my thought: You will not see a car from Apple anytime in the near future--that is, not within the next seven years.

nickpthemft

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Just my thought: You will not see a car from Apple anytime in the near future--that is, not within the next seven years.

Completely agree. With how long the Watch was rumored before it debuted, I wouldn't be surprised. That just gives them more time to experiment with finishes and to really find an efficient, economies-of-scale way to use things like 7000-series and DLC.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I still think the closest we're going to get to an "Apple car" will be a design spec they will sell to actual auto manufacturers.

nickpthemft

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I still think the closest we're going to get to an "Apple car" will be a design spec they will sell to actual auto manufacturers.

MFi certification for cars? I'd think with the level of talent they're supposedly securing for this (and their associated payroll), they'd be doing something more significant than that. The other factor is that they have Marc Newsom on board now, and if I recall correctly, he's a bit of a car buff.

dlopes6

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I think Apple will stick to the space gray , silver , gold and rose gold finishes and probably add a couple of more. But I do think the naming of the cars can fall in line with the naming of other Apple Products. Apple Car Sport, Apple Car Edition, S Class, C Class, SE, mini, Plus....all these product lines can be Apple car lines. Just like the watch a car is a very personal product so I think there will have to be many variations of colors and models. I'm very excited to see what Apple will do the auto market.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73