Family Sharing

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been using family sharing for a while and I've found a bit of a gap which I'd like to feedback on.

My daughter has recently been given my old 5S and a PAYG SIM card so she can get in contact if she needs to when at a friends or after school club.
Find my friends, photo sharing, calendar and so on all work amazingly well.

However, as all children do, shes become tech savvy and found the Purchases section in the App Store where she can see all the apps I've approved for her iPad where she can now download onto her phone without approval from me via Ask to Buy.

The agreement we had is that she can have Pokemon Go plus one other game on her phone to keep her entertained when she's not got signal or whatever.

Unfortunately she's betrayed the trust and I want to stop her using a particular app (YouTube) as she was watching things on both devices that she shouldn't.

Unless there is a way I've not found there is no way to revoke my approval of the app!

This little gap needs filling!

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm answer to your question I'm not sure if you can revoke approval however I'm not certain it would be worth it even if you could.

She would still be able to watch YouTube in the web browser even without the app so I think the best bet is to work through the trust with her and explain if she betrays your trust she'll lose the phone and be given a "dumb" phone instead just for calling and texting in the case of an emergency.

Good luck

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm answer to your question I'm not sure if you can revoke approval however I'm not certain it would be worth it even if you could.

She would still be able to watch YouTube in the web browser even without the app so I think the best bet is to work through the trust with her and explain if she betrays your trust she'll lose the phone and be given a "dumb" phone instead just for calling and texting in the case of an emergency.

Good luck

I've removed Safari via a restriction so she can't use that and there are no browsers in her purchase history to get around it that way either.

It may be a case of removing the App Store as well but then all new games have to come via me which I don't want either.

Ive just read you can hide apps from purchase history which may do it but I'll need to test.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've removed Safari via a restriction so she can't use that and there are no browsers in her purchase history to get around it that way either.

It may be a case of removing the App Store as well but then all new games have to come via me which I don't want either.

Ive just read you can hide apps from purchase history which may do it but I'll need to test.

You can hide apps in the purchased list from family on your Family Sharing.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately that's just a way of hiding MY apps and she can still download apps I've previously approved for her.

Even hiding them on her account allows her to download without permission.

The App Store has been removed and she's been limited to a few games until she builds trust back.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately that's just a way of hiding MY apps and she can still download apps I've previously approved for her.

Even hiding them on her account allows her to download without permission.

The App Store has been removed and she's been limited to a few games until she builds trust back.

You never told us how old she is.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You already found your solution, but you did it the correct way. Once an app is installed then you can go back to the AppStore and download it at your leisure. Turning off the AppStore is the only way to make sure she cant go download apps that have been previously purchased. Its a pain, but at least you will have complete control of what is on her device.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
You already found your solution, but you did it the correct way. Once an app is installed then you can go back to the AppStore and download it at your leisure. Turning off the AppStore is the only way to make sure she cant go download apps that have been previously purchased. Its a pain, but at least you will have complete control of what is on her device.

Yeah. Unfortunately it isn't a very eloquent solution. I'd much rather have a section somewhere to simply remove the app from her purchase history and disallow it.

She'll have to have YouTube back at one point and I do want her to have other apps as well as feel free on devices.

Who knows what iOS 11 will hold.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner