BeatsX vs AirPods

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If you had the choice - and perhaps for some you've already done the comparison... which would you choose, and why?

Cost? Fit? Ease of use? Battery life? All concerns I have, and know that many of you have probably considered before purchasing!! Sound off! (pun intended)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Cost- BeatsX
Fit- AirPods
Ease of Use- Tie
Battery Life- This is a tough one. AirPods have the case which helps. BeatsX use the lightning cable which helps. Listening time though goes to the BeatsX.

Overall, it really depends on what you want. AirPods are far more convenient. Being able to bounce between one headphone or the other while the other headphone charges is great. No wires is awesome and I often forget they are in.

Beats X take the cake on pure sound quality. AirPods can't compare in that regard. BeatsX also cuts a lot of background noise out because of how they fit in your ear. They are also geared more towards an active lifestyle.

If you're active and enjoy higher quality audio sound...go with the BeatsX

If you're not AS active, want convenience, hate wires and want to be able to charge on the go...go with the Airpods.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Cost- BeatsX
Fit- AirPods
Ease of Use- Tie
Battery Life- This is a tough one. AirPods have the case which helps. BeatsX use the lightning cable which helps. Listening time though goes to the BeatsX.

Overall, it really depends on what you want. AirPods are far more convenient. Being able to bounce between one headphone or the other while the other headphone charges is great. No wires is awesome and I often forget they are in.

Beats X take the cake on pure sound quality. AirPods can't compare in that regard. BeatsX also cuts a lot of background noise out because of how they fit in your ear. They are also geared more towards an active lifestyle.

If you're active and enjoy higher quality audio sound...go with the BeatsX

If you're not AS active, want convenience, hate wires and want to be able to charge on the go...go with the Airpods.

I disagree with you on sound quality, I prefer the AirPods though both have their advantages. The Beats X do have better noise isolation, but that isn't the same as sound quality. And which is better for you depends on how isolated you want to be. For example, if walking/running outside around roads, it is likely better to have less isolation, so you can hear traffic. If you are in an office, you may or may not want isolation, depending on if you need to be able to hear co-workers when they talk to you.

Also, if you frequently use your phone when wearing your headphones, the AirPods are better, as they tend to work very well -- to the point that, for many people can't tell you are using them.

A lot will also depend on fit; while AirPods do work well for most people, and you can also use the foam cushions that are sold for the EarPods, the AirPods can't really be adjusted for size; where the Beats X can be sized to your ear, as well as wingtips to help make sure they stay in your ear.

The last thing, at least that I think should be added is, if you want inline controls, you will want the BeatsX. That is one place the AirPods don't measure up -- it can be somewhat mitigated if you use an Apple Watch, but they are much less convenient for changing volume or switching tracks.

If you have a local Apple Store that has both on demo, unless one or the other clearly fits you better, I'd go and try both out -- though I will say that the Apple Stores I tried didn't have the BeatsX to demo (I believe I asked at three Apple Stores). I bought the BeatsX and ended up returning them, since I couldn't demo them, and found -- for me -- I prefer the AirPods.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with you on sound quality, I prefer the AirPods though both have their advantages. The Beats X do have better noise isolation, but that isn't the same as sound quality. And which is better for you depends on how isolated you want to be. For example, if walking/running outside around roads, it is likely better to have less isolation, so you can hear traffic. If you are in an office, you may or may not want isolation, depending on if you need to be able to hear co-workers when they talk to you.

Also, if you frequently use your phone when wearing your headphones, the AirPods are better, as they tend to work very well -- to the point that, for many people can't tell you are using them.

A lot will also depend on fit; while AirPods do work well for most people, and you can also use the foam cushions that are sold for the EarPods, the AirPods can't really be adjusted for size; where the Beats X can be sized to your ear, as well as wingtips to help make sure they stay in your ear.

The last thing, at least that I think should be added is, if you want inline controls, you will want the BeatsX. That is one place the AirPods don't measure up -- it can be somewhat mitigated if you use an Apple Watch, but they are much less convenient for changing volume or switching tracks.

If you have a local Apple Store that has both on demo, unless one or the other clearly fits you better, I'd go and try both out -- though I will say that the Apple Stores I tried didn't have the BeatsX to demo (I believe I asked at three Apple Stores). I bought the BeatsX and ended up returning them, since I couldn't demo them, and found -- for me -- I prefer the AirPods.

As a frequent user of both, even aside from the noise isolation, the BeatsX take the cake on sound quality, in my opinion. Sure, this can be subjective. But for me, personally, there really is no comparison between the two. I use my AirPods at work and my BeatsX I use while at home when I'm trying to actively listen to my music yet want to be mobile.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The BeatsX vs AirPods on sound quality is definitely not subjective. Based purely on scientific fact of better drivers in the BeatsX means they have better sound quality. The BeatsX are still a little bass heavy, just not as much as Beats of old. AirPods take the cake on convenience, however my vote 100% goes to BeatsX for the sound quality, battery life, and fit. They both cost the same so that's a wash. I just wish the cable on the BeatsX was a little shorter, and it would have been nice if they came with shirt clips, one for each side. The clips greatly reduce microphonics, which AirPods will never have because microphonics is the cord rustle you can hear while listening to music.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The BeatsX vs AirPods on sound quality is definitely not subjective. Based purely on scientific fact of better drivers in the BeatsX means they have better sound quality.

I'd agree. I'd just assume that if someone wasn't interested in the heavier bass offered by the BeatsX they may say the "sound quality" isn't as good as they'd like. I think there is really no dispute on which two sound better. But if someone thinks the AirPods sound better to them, I can't really debate that lol.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree. I'd just assume that if someone wasn't interested in the heavier bass offered by the BeatsX they may say the "sound quality" isn't as good as they'd like. I think there is really no dispute on which two sound better. But if someone thinks the AirPods sound better to them, I can't really debate that lol.

I agree with that too, it's just that too many people confuse sound quality with sound signature. I'm fine with people not liking different sound signatures, just don't say it had bad sound quality because you don't like the setup.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
The BeatsX vs AirPods on sound quality is definitely not subjective. Based purely on scientific fact of better drivers in the BeatsX means they have better sound quality. The BeatsX are still a little bass heavy, just not as much as Beats of old. AirPods take the cake on convenience, however my vote 100% goes to BeatsX for the sound quality, battery life, and fit. They both cost the same so that's a wash. I just wish the cable on the BeatsX was a little shorter, and it would have been nice if they came with shirt clips, one for each side. The clips greatly reduce microphonics, which AirPods will never have because microphonics is the cord rustle you can hear while listening to music.

You may be correct on the driver on the Beats X, I haven't looked at it. But, at least out of the box, the BeatsX are not better; though the BeatsX can be improved if you play with the equalizer on your iPhone. My issue with the BeatsX is that (at least the pair I had) were tinny and sounded flat at the low end. The AirPods had a much fuller sound -- though it may have been a bit too full (over boosted). The AirPods biggest issue, to me, is they can get a bit muddy in the midrange when there are a lot of instruments playing at once. I didn't see that either had better sound quality than the other; both had flaws and which sound you prefer depends on what you are wanting to listen to. Additionally, as you referred to, some will find the BeatsX have a better sound quality because of the BeatsX noise isolation.

And, yes, while the BeatsX win on Noise Isolation, the AirPods clearly win on microphonics -- no cord means no cord rustle. I should also add that fit makes a major difference, it depends on how each fits you; obviously, the better they fit you the better they will sound. With BeatsX being in ear, my experience was that the BeatsX were more "directional," if the fit wasn't quite right (or they slip in your ears a bit) that the sound quality wasn't as good.

As for price, the BeatsX are $10 cheaper and do come with the 3 months of free Apple Music, which can be used as merely a free iTunes credit ($29.97) if you don't want to use it on Apple Music.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
You may be correct on the driver on the Beats X, I haven't looked at it. But, at least out of the box, the BeatsX are not better; though the BeatsX can be improved if you play with the equalizer on your iPhone. My issue with the BeatsX is that (at least the pair I had) were tinny and sounded flat at the low end. The AirPods had a much fuller sound -- though it may have been a bit too full (over boosted). The AirPods biggest issue, to me, is they can get a bit muddy in the midrange when there are a lot of instruments playing at once. I didn't see that either had better sound quality than the other; both had flaws and which sound you prefer depends on what you are wanting to listen to. Additionally, as you referred to, some will find the BeatsX have a better sound quality because of the BeatsX noise isolation.

And, yes, while the BeatsX win on Noise Isolation, the AirPods clearly win on microphonics -- no cord means no cord rustle. I should also add that fit makes a major difference, it depends on how each fits you; obviously, the better they fit you the better they will sound. With BeatsX being in ear, my experience was that the BeatsX were more "directional," if the fit wasn't quite right (or they slip in your ears a bit) that the sound quality wasn't as good.

As for price, the BeatsX are $10 cheaper and do come with the 3 months of free Apple Music, which can be used as merely a free iTunes credit ($29.97) if you don't want to use it on Apple Music.

iOS doesn't have an equalizer, I hate that they call what they offer an equalizer at all. They are presets and nothing more, and terrible ones at that. As far as how it sounds, that's the sound signature, the quality is with output only. The quality is decent, not $150 decent, but decent. The way it sounds though, is the sound signature. All, and I mean all, in-ear earphones don't sound right unless you have a proper fit. Improper fit will cause them to sound different, usually off and irritating to the listener cause you can tell the seal isn't right. To give you a better idea of sound signature, if Bose, Shure, Beats, Apple, Senneheiser, AKG, iFrogz, and every other company out there made the same style earphone with the same drivers, they would all sound different. That's because of how each company uses those drivers, that's what the sound signature is. All Bose, all Beats, all Apple earphones have the same general sound representation.

J-Cam93

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I just bought a pair of beats x and I wasn't very impressed overall by the sound quality.. to me they seem just.. dull? Nothing too impressive about them and I find the AirPods have a better sound quality to them.

The beats x are great for better noise cancellation and the inline mic control is a good thing to have again but I'm a little weary about how well it'll hold up.

Battery life for me has been subpar as I've only been able to get around 6 hours on average compared to the 8 hours they say you should be able to get. With the AirPods I find I get what Apple says you should get.. and I can go 2-3 days without needing to recharge the case although everyone's listening habits are different from others so there's that to take into consideration.

The cable is very comfortable and doesn't get in the way.. but I agree with others that I wish it was a little shorter.

One last thing.. the case for the beats x is pretty horrible lol.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
BeatsX. Like the LG I'm already using, I prefer the airtight seal in my ear that also helps with background noise.

Now that being said, my wife has the Airpods and she loves them.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
If I hadn't have already purchased my AirPods, and fallen in love with them, the BeatsX would be very tempting right now because of the sale prices. Last week they were available for $119, this week you can get the gray ones for $97 -- and then you get the free $30 iTunes card (3 months free Apple Music) in the box with the BeatsX. The BeatsX currently have a huge advantage on price, if you can get them on sale.

At this price, I'm tempted to pick up the BeatsX just to have them.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention availability -- they're in stock at some Best Buy near me, but AirPods are still tricky to get.

This could have been the one thing that had me buying the Beats X. If I had never tried the AirPods, I wouldn't have known what I was missing and bought the Beats. Availability and price may have swayed me. To me, the AirPods are worth waiting for though. They are that good in my opinion.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
This could have been the one thing that had me buying the Beats X. If I had never tried the AirPods, I wouldn't have known what I was missing and bought the Beats. Availability and price may have swayed me. To me, the AirPods are worth waiting for though. They are that good in my opinion.

I fully agree with both points; if I hadn't have been able to snag the AirPods, I'd likely still be thinking of them as just a wireless EarPod and that they were nothing special. That likely would have led me to buy the BeatsX while they've been on sale -- even with the AirPods I've still been tempted by the Walmart $97 price.

But, since I did try them, I'm not willing to trade my AirPods for the BeatsX. And, if I needed to replace them (lost or stolen) then it would be another pair of AirPods for me, even with the higher price and lack of availability.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

My boss ordered some on Apple's website, and her delivery is mid-June. Signed up for IsInStock after talking to her, and in about 2 hours I got an email that ATT had them in. They'll be here in 3-5 days.
Stick with the AirPods.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My boss ordered some on Apple's website, and her delivery is mid-June. Signed up for IsInStock after talking to her, and in about 2 hours I got an email that ATT had them in. They'll be here in 3-5 days.
Stick with the AirPods.

Oh there is no doubt in my mind about the AirPods. I have no doubt that when Apple updates them, I will pass these to someone and buy the new ones asap. I'd have a hard time changing to anything else now.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
For me it was simple.
I knew the AirPods where coming out soon, but didn't pay any attention to it or the BeatsX.
So, when I was in the store on launch day, totally for whole other reasons than getting the AirPods, I couldn't help myself but to grab a pair.
I have been happy with that decision ever since.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Stick with the AirPods.

They'll be here Monday. Should be Saturday but had them shipped to the office and nobody's there :)

Use IsInStock.com if you want them anytime soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73