Next gen AirPods wishlist

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What would you like to see in the next gen AirPods? Of course this is open to anyone even if you're still waiting for yours ;)

I'd like to see a touch sensitive strip on the side for controlling volume.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if the current AirPods are equipped to handle it, but in the Next Gen AirPods I'd like to be able to assign a different action to Double Tap on each side of the AirPods. Like double tap on the right one is to skip forward and double tap to the left is to rewind or go back to a previous song.
It would be even more awesome if you could assign a triple tap.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
What would you like to see in the next gen AirPods? Of course this is open to anyone even if you're still waiting for yours ;)

I don't know if the current AirPods are equipped to handle it, but in the Next Gen AirPods I'd like to be able to assign a different action to Double Tap on each side of the AirPods. Like double tap on the right one is to skip forward and double tap to the left is to rewind or go back to a previous song.
It would be even more awesome if you could assign a triple tap.

I'm liking both these ideas. I don't see why they can't both happen. Customizable taps would be great. If I could adjust the volume and skip forward and back I would probably buy the next version. Those are the only things I think I'd improve. I really don't have complaints about the current version so these things would just really take it to another level for me.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with @Spencerdl and his black AirPods preference. I wouldn't mind seeing better water resistance and built-in volume controls either.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I think the Airpods are great the way their are, but if i had to add a couple extra 'features' i would definitely ask for a 'Matte Black' colour option or maybe even a 'Royal Blue'? :) The next thing would be a slight redesign. Not because of the way they look but because of how they fit in people's ears. Some say they just fall out, so maybe thats an area Apple can work on?

Now here is something new, maybe Apple could include 2GB of, onboard storage so we don't need to carry our iPhone with us while running? I would pay for that.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Different colors would be cool, particularly after they get distribution caught up! On board storage is an interesting idea... would be like the old shuffle with no controls, just Siri to play, skip, etc. I guess? But I don't think Siri would work without the phone!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Different colors would be cool, particularly after they get distribution caught up! On board storage is an interesting idea... would be like the old shuffle with no controls, just Siri to play, skip, etc. I guess? But I don't think Siri would work without the phone!

haha, true. :) i never said the storage idea was a good idea. Just an idea. Maybe we could use gesture controls on the Airpods to switch between tracks and only use siri when we have our iPhone with us. Its all about possibilities and looking for new ideas :)

J-Cam93

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site

Couldn't agree more with touch sensitive functionality.. I was thinking the stem in long enough for them to add a few more touch surfaces on there? But that's really all I'd want out of Gen 2 just for the days I don't have my watch on me to control the volume and skip track

Definitely wouldn't mind to see more colors though on Gen 2 AirPods

sandycrane

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
This isn't actually an AirPod thing, but I wish Apple would increase the resolution of volume steps. One click seems to go from too soft to too loud.