Tried the BeatsX, sticking with my AirPods

mstacheef

May 8, 2013
Visit site
After the original announcement back in the fall, I was more excited for the BeatsX than I was for the AirPods. I've always liked Beats sound, and the combination of the W1 chip and the low profile neck cable with magnets on each bud made them look really attractive to me. Even after I got my AirPods in December(and loving them since day 1) I'd been patiently awaiting the release of the BeatsX to at least try them and see if I could justify having both.

Well, I bought them from the Apple Store and tried them for a couple of days, and they went back yesterday. On the plus side, they sound great, and the in-line controls are obviously a huge improvement over the very limited controls on the AirPods. What really made me take them back, aside from the neck band, which was unobtrusive but noticeable after the complete freedom of the AirPods, was the inability to enjoy music with just one earbud in. I use my AirPods pretty much all the time, but I mostly just use one. Walking the dog, doing errands, sitting in Starbucks, whatever, listening to music in mono with one AirPod is a great experience because you don't really lose any aspect of the song. Listening to just one BeatsX, or any other standard stereo earbud, means you only get half the music. I've known this but after trying to listen to music with only 1 ear again totally ruined it.

I've always thought that the mono experience with a single AirPod was part of their "magic", but trying the BeatsX only reinforced that. They're great earphones with excellent sound quality and the W1, lightning adapter and quick charge are all great, and I'm sure they'll sell well, but for me the AirPods have really become the perfect iPhone accessory that I can't picture using anything else. At least until version 2 with better controls.

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
The thing I like about the beatsx is that you can keep them around your neck when they're not in use. But as they're around the same price it has to be AirPods every time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After the original announcement back in the fall, I was more excited for the BeatsX than I was for the AirPods. I've always liked Beats sound, and the combination of the W1 chip and the low profile neck cable with magnets on each bud made them look really attractive to me. Even after I got my AirPods in December(and loving them since day 1) I'd been patiently awaiting the release of the BeatsX to at least try them and see if I could justify having both.

Well, I bought them from the Apple Store and tried them for a couple of days, and they went back yesterday. On the plus side, they sound great, and the in-line controls are obviously a huge improvement over the very limited controls on the AirPods. What really made me take them back, aside from the neck band, which was unobtrusive but noticeable after the complete freedom of the AirPods, was the inability to enjoy music with just one earbud in. I use my AirPods pretty much all the time, but I mostly just use one. Walking the dog, doing errands, sitting in Starbucks, whatever, listening to music in mono with one AirPod is a great experience because you don't really lose any aspect of the song. Listening to just one BeatsX, or any other standard stereo earbud, means you only get half the music. I've known this but after trying to listen to music with only 1 ear again totally ruined it.

I've always thought that the mono experience with a single AirPod was part of their "magic", but trying the BeatsX only reinforced that. They're great earphones with excellent sound quality and the W1, lightning adapter and quick charge are all great, and I'm sure they'll sell well, but for me the AirPods have really become the perfect iPhone accessory that I can't picture using anything else. At least until version 2 with better controls.

I rarely listen to music via my AirPods, but like you, I usually only wear one at a time. I love having the ability to use either one or both.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox