AirPods after almost a month

mstacheef

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I received mine on launch day, and I can easily say these are my favorite tech purchase in years. Even more impressed with these than I am with my Apple Watch (original then Series 2).
Things I like most:
Always having a headset with me without worrying about cords. I put them in my pocket when I get dressed and don't put them away until the evening. I use one when I walk the dog or if I'm just walking around. Having audio in mono is brilliant. It seems like such a disappointment to listen to 1 wired earbud now. Only getting half the music.
It's the highest quality BT headset for calls I've ever had. I was walking in an airport and another time in heavy wind on a city street, and the person on the other end couldn't even tell I was on a headset. Zero background noise. Plantronics Voyager Edge was the pinnacle for me before, but AirPods blow it away
Battery life is all I need. I flew from Boston to FL last week and used them from when I got through security in Logan until I got picked up in FL. Still had more than 25% power left before dropping them in the case.
Audio quality is surprisingly good. Ok, not as good as my Beats and some sound does bleed out, but they're much better than EarPods and he quality is fine for 90% of the time.
They're totally unobtrusive and really don't look weird regardless of initial reports. My wife and daughters wouldn't be seen with me walking around with my Plantronics. Ok, it did look a bit douchy. They barely notice Me having one AirPod in while in the car or walking around.
The charging case is so well made and the quick charge of 15 minutes for 3 hours of charge is brilliant
W1 chip really is a game changer. The AirPods are synced perfectly and automagically work with every iOS device I have.

Things I dislike:
Lack of real music controls is really stupid. I would think they could easily add gesture support for 3 taps or something to skip/rewind. Maybe with an update???
They occasionally don't register when I put them in my ears. This is mainly an issue with the right one. I sometimes have to put it in and take it out of my ear a few times to register. Maybe 25% of the time. Left one always works. I'll probably switch them out via Apple care when there's stock in the stores.

So after daily use for almost a month I give them a strong 8 maybe 9 out of 10. Couldn't be happier.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Things I dislike:
Lack of real music controls is really stupid. I would think they could easily add gesture support for 3 taps or something to skip/rewind. Maybe with an update???
They occasionally don't register when I put them in my ears. This is mainly an issue with the right one. I sometimes have to put it in and take it out of my ear a few times to register. Maybe 25% of the time. Left one always works. I'll probably switch them out via Apple care when there's stock in the stores.
I too, am a launch day user of the AirPods and can second your opinion of them - as that mirrors my experience with them as well. I've noticed some intermittent finicky-ness with the right bud also. I'm hoping for/wouldn't be surprised at a future (hopefully soon) firmware update that will in part resolve this issue. It hasn't happened often for me, but does occur once in a while, when it does I put the bud back into the charging case and then back out and reseat it in my ear and that does the trick.

radklin

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Great reviews! Thanks. But I can't help but do be so mad because I won't get mine till February 22nd. Now commercials come on Apple.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Got mine day 1 & agree with OP, without question the best Bluetooth device I've owned (and I've had quite a few). Few niggles to sort out (sometimes it takes a few seconds for one of the AirPods to register, no big deal).

I do wish that I could have one or two more tap based gestures, for example: Left double tap = Play/Pause, Right double tap = Siri, Left triple tap = volume down & Right triple tap = volume up (with the ability to modify the gestures to suit).

Battery life = as advertised, Audio quality = surprisingly good (guess I'm lucky to get a good fit, so good bass), Connectivity = 90+ of the time no problem, but sometimes a bit odd, especially when paired to multiple devices (but still better than anything else with multi device connectivity that I've had), Ear fit = Beyond excellent (for my ear shape), Durability = No issues so far.

I also have lost so many jawbones & plantronics bluetooth headsets over the years (often leaving in pockets of clothes that I only wear occasionally, only to find them a few months later), but because of the charge case, my EarPods always have a home, I've not once misplaced them (I'm surprised, as I'm very forgetful).

One unexpected benefit is that I no longer need to remember to carry a micro USB cable, just lightning......not that I need to charge them daily or even every two days as the charge case does the job.

knoxDavid

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I am glad to hear from some real users as I have been seriously considering getting a set (once they are available). I had been leaning towards waiting until next year but now with actual user reviews I am think of getting them in month or two.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am glad to hear from some real users as I have been seriously considering getting a set (once they are available). I had been leaning towards waiting until next year but now with actual user reviews I am think of getting them in month or two.

I have to agree with the others. The AirPods are truly wonderful.

If I could go back in time, I'd buy them again without hesitation, like I did the first time.

Everybody I know are extremely happy and positive about the AirPods.

sandycrane

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, everyone!
Five years ago I started collecting in ear phones in an attempt to find the ultimate. Then other interests took over. Nowadays I just want to listen to the most music with the least hassle.
A couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of airpods from a re-seller for a premium. I no longer have the annoying tug at my ears each time I move and I no longer have to untangle cords. All this convenience and they sound great! I am very pleased with my purchase.

knoxDavid

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: I waited hoping that the shipping times would improve but they have not. I decided I would be waiting for them either way so I finally ordered them a couple of weeks ago and they are due May 3rd. Looking forward to trying them.

Last edited:

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Sweet... Yeah I don't think Apple realized how popular the AirPods would be, even at the $159 price point.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: I waited hoping that the shipping times would improve but they have not. I decided I would be waiting for them either way so I finally ordered them a couple of weeks ago and they are due May 3rd. Looking forward to trying them.

Sign up for IsInStock and if you get an email the local store has them, order them right away. Then you can cancel the online order.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my AirPods on February 10th, and I've used them quite a bit since then, especially while at work. The audio quality (with respect to talking) is top notch, in my opinion. I rarely use them for listening to music, but in that regard, they sound pretty good to me. Anyway, I don't regret buying them.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Sign up for IsInStock and if you get an email the local store has them, order them right away. Then you can cancel the online order.

I have to second this. Sign up at Airpods.IsInStock.com (click the link) to get notified by email, when the AirPods are in stock at your local Apple Store you will get an e-mail, and then immediately (or as quick as you can) go to the Apple app/website to buy the Airpods from your local store. Following these instructions, you should be able to get them from your local Apple store within a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73