Battery life on airpods

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
How long can you leave the AirPods out of the case? The reason I'm asking this is when I'm driving I want to keep one in my shirt pocket so when I'm receiving or placing a call I can just take it out of my pocket, put it in my ear than take or make a call.

Anyone that has them have any ideas on this?

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
This is one of the exact use cases I have for my AirPods (that I have to stress I love love love, having owned most other types of Bluetooth headsets). I have a 2011 BMW 1 Series, that has the worst Bluetooth implementation for a car possible, it takes approx 20-30 seconds for the handover between phone and car, during this time I can't hear the caller and they can't hear me (and this assumes that it actually works).

Enter AirPods, that so far have had a 100% success rate of call handling.

Each AirPod is quoted as having 5 hours of battery life, in my experience this seems spot on. So if you were using one at a time (and this should always be the case in a car to meet most laws) you should be right for approx 10 hours (as one goes flat, just pop the other one in). You specific question about battery drain, I don't really know, but it shouldn't be an issue for most commutes.

That said, it's far nicer to return the AirPods to the charging case when not in use and this provides another 24 hours of charge (for a total of 34 hours use), this should let you get the following "active use" (assuming you start with full batteries all round), my guess is that in standby mode you would be talking triple this:

5 hours left, then return to charger
5 hours right, then return to charger
4 hours left, at this point both AirPods and charger would be empty

** Please check your local laws with driving with headphones/ear pieces, as you might still be breaking a law **

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
While I'm driving there will be no returning to charger unless I pull over. One will be in the charger while the other one will be in the shirt pocket. I won't use it unless calls are made or received. I'll probably use the right one since cellphones are not allowed while driving commercial vehicles. If it's in my right ear than they shouldn't be able to see it.

The only problem with the left one is 65 mph on the freeway in the summer with the driver's window down. Get what I mean?

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure. How much battery life do you have if it's out of the charger case and just sitting around? I think I'm asking about standby time. I think that's what it's called.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure. How much battery life do you have if it's out of the charger case and just sitting around? I think I'm asking about standby time. I think that's what it's called.

5 hours according to Apple. If you're not listening music non-stop it should last longer but please don't forget once you take an AirPod out of the case it makes connection with your iPhone and until you change AirPlay back to your iPhone all sounds will come through the AirPod. This will also use battery. Staying connected to the phone, however small it may be, also uses battery.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your standby time won't be that much longer than usage time.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
That might be okay. If the AirPod is out of the case, it'll only be when I'm driving, the other times It will be in the case. I think this will be okay this way. I won't be doing anything else on the phone when I'm driving.

Thanks for the advice. Now all I have to do is find them.

Tom Germany

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Its Not an issue, But of you take the AirPods out of the Charger and just lay them down and cut off all Bluetooth connections they "still" run out of battery life.

Is that normal of am i missing the Option to Switch them off?

Last edited by a moderator:

sandycrane

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
If you were able to totally turn off the AirPods how would you turn them on again? They must always be in standby to be receptive to the Bluetooth signal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox