AirPods Battery Status By Flipping Open Case Doesn't Work

CloudSpeaker

May 5, 2013
Visit site
One of the neatest of Apple's secret-sauce tricks with AirPods is the sheet that slides up showing battery status when you flip open the dental floss case next to your iPhone. When it works, it's almost magic. For me though, it almost never works.

I've tried it every different way... With AirPods actively playing audio and the battery case physically touching my awakened phone .. With the AirPods charging in the case and the case an inch or two away from the phone .. And every possibility in between.

I get the battery status slide-up sheet about once every 10 tries. Sometimes I'll get the sheet, close the battery case lid, then reopen it and the sheet won't reappear.

Is there a trick to it I'm missing?

[redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
It works for me 100% of the time, but what I've found is that it only works when you have both AirPods in the case.

If I have one or both out, the pop-up sheet never appears.

So something must be wrong for you, recommend re-pairing per taonari's post.

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing exactly the same issue, and even 1 out of 20 is more accurate.
Of course both pods are in the case, and the status box still almost never shows up.
I'm just about to reset my pods, wish me luck

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Wahoo! If my case touches the screen of my iPhone, then it works all the time! That's not exactly what Apple are saying : "...and hold it next to your iPhone". I'd say it's more like "hold it on top of your screen"... Jeeee

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Wahoo! If my case touches the screen of my iPhone, then it works all the time! That's not exactly what Apple are saying : "...and hold it next to your iPhone". I'd say it's more like "hold it on top of your screen"... Jeeee

It works from 2 inches or closer to the phone. I realized this by trying different distances.
Sometimes it takes a little time for it to trigger battery status pop-up, though.

Aig21

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Sometimes it doesn't work for me either not sure why.

Move the case with AirPods in around an unlocked phone. Always works. Usually half way around the phone.

But, yes, annoying, unstable connection recently (last couple of months out of 7 I use them daily).

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Move the case with AirPods in around an unlocked phone. Always works. Usually half way around the phone.

But, yes, annoying, unstable connection recently (last couple of months out of 7 I use them daily).

Yep. Sometimes it won’t recognise the left or the right AirPod. Very weird.

maxchile

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site

Hi ! i am facing the same problem with my iphone x’s max, if put very close to the phone the menu show up, but if i use an iphone 6 ( my girlfriend) the menu appears immediately and like 6 inch far away from the phone. you find a solution? workaround? i think is a phone problem ( bluetooth ) and no airpods problem. thanks !!

jlist

May 11, 2017
Visit site
I also have this problem and it sucks. I just had the window refuse to come up, but I noticed I was in low power mode, so maybe that's got something to do with it? Turning this off didn't cause the menu to come up, but restarting the phone fixed it.

gurx33

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
I had the same problem with mine. I did not find a resolution with all the forums and tricks people had posted online. However I did eventually discover that when I open the lid with my finger and leave my finger there covering the airpods the battery sheet would never slide up on my phone. But if I open the lid and immediately move my fingers away so nothing is blocking light or making it think it's still closed by something being in close proximity to the auto detect sensors it worked 100% of the time. Put m finger back over the airpods and it stopped working again. My conclusion is when opening the lid and blocking the auto detect sensors from light or by proximity with your hands and fingers it doesn't know the lid is open. I would be interested to see if this works for others having the same issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods