AirPod in ear fit?

Graham Lee77

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Received mine last week after waiting a month.

Was initially very hesitant as EarPods have never worked for me, the cables always tugging and they would fall out after a few seconds.

I've got a couple of pairs of Bluetooth earbuds which I switch between but I don't get on with these either as the silicone buds are either too large or too small so hurt my ears or keep coming loose. Plus I always found myself turning my body to look around rather than my neck due to fear of them falling out or tugging with the cable round the back of the neck.

So big plunge going for the AirPods.

So I've had them for a week now. Build quality is exceptional I think. However, the true test is how I get on with them.

I mainly use them whilst I walk the dog or down the gym doing cardio.

The definitive answer is; they do stay in my ears. They're not perfect by any means. Shaped like the EarPods they fit in my ear and can balance precariously near the edge of the ear, and I am having to adjust them and push them down deeper to make me feel more comfortable they're secure. Using them daily, they haven't physically fallen out once, but they sometimes feel like they are about to, particularly the right one.

Shaking my head around like a fool (in private I might add), again they stay in but you can't shake the feeling they're about to come out.

I've thought about getting earhoox but I'm not sure I'm prepared to go with the fiddling around putting them on and taking them off all the time. Seems like a hinderance I could do without.

It's still early days and over time I'll probably become less conscious of the falling out feeling that came with the EarPods and has carried over to the AirPods. That, or I'll end having to buy a replacement from Apple.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Received mine last week after waiting a month.

Was initially very hesitant as EarPods have never worked for me, the cables always tugging and they would fall out after a few seconds.

I've got a couple of pairs of Bluetooth earbuds which I switch between but I don't get on with these either as the silicone buds are either too large or too small so hurt my ears or keep coming loose. Plus I always found myself turning my body to look around rather than my neck due to fear of them falling out or tugging with the cable round the back of the neck.

So big plunge going for the AirPods.

So I've had them for a week now. Build quality is exceptional I think. However, the true test is how I get on with them.

I mainly use them whilst I walk the dog or down the gym doing cardio.

The definitive answer is; they do stay in my ears. They're not perfect by any means. Shaped like the EarPods they fit in my ear and can balance precariously near the edge of the ear, and I am having to adjust them and push them down deeper to make me feel more comfortable they're secure. Using them daily, they haven't physically fallen out once, but they sometimes feel like they are about to, particularly the right one.

Shaking my head around like a fool (in private I might add), again they stay in but you can't shake the feeling they're about to come out.

I've thought about getting earhoox but I'm not sure I'm prepared to go with the fiddling around putting them on and taking them off all the time. Seems like a hinderance I could do without.

It's still early days and over time I'll probably become less conscious of the falling out feeling that came with the EarPods and has carried over to the AirPods. That, or I'll end having to buy a replacement from Apple.

Great write up. I've had mine for a few weeks and they haven't fallen out with pretty frequent use. Every once in a while I feel like I have to push them in a little to get better sound isolation but they stay in my ears way better then EarPods. Not having the cord pulling on them makes a HUGE difference.

Overall I love these things.

sandycrane

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
When I first got my Airpods I tried to stuff them into my ears like I would with my IEMs. I thought I would have a problem. Soon, though, I discovered that the Airpods would comfortably and securely perch in the hollow of my middle ear and efficiently channel the sound to the ear canal. Great sound. I love these things!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Mine fit great. They get a little loose when I am jumping rope, but they don't come out. The only thing is the sound is not as loud, but some foam covers fix that 😃

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Yeah the EarPods don't stay in my ears but the AirPods do, so I can only attribute that to the cords pulling them down.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I was surprised one didn't want to stay with foam covers.

As for sound better with the foam or thinking they break in? I'm not so sure.

My guess is that the "sound better" solely because the foam helps give better sound isolation, you aren't getting as much background noise.

Graham Lee77

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Still haven't been able to shake the feeling they'll fall out if too energetic. They are definitely affected when walking in the wind, as they get caught depending on what angle you're at.

I bought some earhoox this week to help me out. They make them a little more secure, but it's not an elegant solution as it means they do not fit in the charging case, and they are not the easiest thing to put on and take off quickly, so they might be reserved for being used for long periods of time.

They fit and suit me a lot better than EarPods and other bluetooth earbuds that I've had in the past. It's just getting used to them. Doesn't help the weather has been a bit rotten with lots of cross-winds recently.

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
My guess is that the "sound better" solely because the foam helps give better sound isolation, you aren't getting as much background noise.

Yes with the foam covers on the ear is sealed off better and thus you get less seepage of sound.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
The Airpods are probably the best fitting earphones i've used. Normally earphones don't fit well on me but the Airpods do a OK job :) Whether they are the WS-510 from Blackberry or Samsung inbox earphones, they just don't feel comfortable so I've normally stuck to over ear headphones. So I'm impressed with Apple this time around :)

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
For me they fit same as the wired earplugs, right one is perfect and the left is a bit loose, i don't run but can walk at full pace no problems. I use just one a lot anyway.

Frank Halhjem

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I bought them and love them! I've tried several ways of getting these to fit in my ear but they keep falling out. I've tried several ways to fix it from falling out. I've bought some fancy stuff to get my earpods to stay put, then I came across a cheat and simple method. Buy some cheap phone pads and made holes for the sensors, and it works great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGgqRAEJmU&t=25s

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I bought them and love them! I've tried several ways of getting these to fit in my ear but they keep falling out. I've tried several ways to fix it from falling out. I've bought some fancy stuff to get my earpods to stay put, then I came across a cheat and simple method. Buy some cheap phone pads and made holes for the sensors, and it works great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGgqRAEJmU&t=25s

Interesting!
Thank you for sharing