Are AirPods worth $159 USD to you?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Are AirPods worth the $159 USD price tag to you? Will you appreciate the wireless functionality and slick setup? Or do you need either a) a different bluetooth pair with better fitting/sound options or b) a more traditional pair with better sound (audiophiles, I'm looking at you).

Personally I'm torn, not sure if I'll get a pair (I have much too many headphones already), but would certainly love to try them out!

anon(631408)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I purchased them hoping they are as good as advertised. I also have multiple pair of Bluetooth headphones so I will be comparing them and keeping the best.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I'll also let you know on 12/21 when I receive them. If they are not worth it, I'll return them. So we'll see.

frrc21

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
I think they are worth the price tag, even more since all the other competitors have theirs with double the price tag and usually the same quality regarding to sound... Also the W1 chip brings some exciting functionalities.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to reserve judgement until I hear the sound quality. The wireless feature alone doesn't justify the $159 price point if the sound quality is no different than the lightening headphones they provided. I've got a pair of bluetooth headphones with stronger battery life and better sound. Of course, they have to be worn on my neck but that isn't an issue at all. So if the sound quality performs better than what they give for free, then I may consider. I can see some advantages to having them. Just don't know if those advantages are worth the price.

TimHart

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
It's true that there's a ton of competition, but these are designed by Apple to work alongside the iPhone. It will be interesting to see if the W1 chip justifies the added expense.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Are AirPods worth the $159 USD price tag to you? Will you appreciate the wireless functionality and slick setup? Or do you need either a) a different bluetooth pair with better fitting/sound options or b) a more traditional pair with better sound (audiophiles, I'm looking at you).

Personally I'm torn, not sure if I'll get a pair (I have much too many headphones already), but would certainly love to try them out!

I would say Yes!

From a design perspective, for me, they look fantastic. They also come with their own dental floss charging case which is quite cute. Plus being able to get 5 hours of battery life is fairly decent. I haven't heard the sound quality yet (which is a deal breaker) but unless they are super tinny and have no bass i would still purchase.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Mine are due tomorrow (19th) so not long to wait now. If they work as advertised and stay in my ears then the price is reasonable. They're in same price range as my Bose wireless ones so will be interesting to compare the two. I can run with the Bose ones and they stay in my ears no problems but have suffered a few disconnections here and there. I'm not really expecting the AirPods to stay in my ears when I run but I'll be happy to be proved wrong

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely not, never in a million years would I spend $159 on the AirPods. I don't care how easy it is to pair or any of that. The EarPods are overpriced, I can spend half the cost of the EarPods and get twice the sound quality. So $159 for 5 hours of battery life and not a single increase to sound quality? Nope, not happening. Jaybird has Bluetooth earphone for $150, 8 hours of battery life (with a charge in there), and has an app that allows a very annoying way to adjust the equalizer. There are others out there for around the same cost or cheaper that I'm sure are much better than the AirPods too. So from an audiophiles perspective....no, just no, I wouldn't pay more than $30 for them and that's giving them extra money for the W1 chip.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely not, never in a million years would I spend $159 on the AirPods. I don't care how easy it is to pair or any of that. The EarPods are overpriced, I can spend half the cost of the EarPods and get twice the sound quality. So $159 for 5 hours of battery life and not a single increase to sound quality? Nope, not happening. Jaybird has Bluetooth earphone for $150, 8 hours of battery life (with a charge in there), and has an app that allows a very annoying way to adjust the equalizer. There are others out there for around the same cost or cheaper that I'm sure are much better than the AirPods too. So from an audiophiles perspective....no, just no, I wouldn't pay more than $30 for them and that's giving them extra money for the W1 chip.

I agree!!!! There are other headphones out there that offer better battery life. Plus my Bose & Beats connect automatically every time & I can workout in both. The case is nice but not worth $159.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Probably not but I got them anyways. It's hard to find anything that compares to the headphones I use now. So because of that I'll forever be spoiled. Lol

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I was excited when they were first announced, but now it's been gradually going away. I'm not excited anymore and probably won't buy them. Now I wait for the new iPad Pro release.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR