Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Just_Me_D
  • 1 Post By DarlaMack
  • 1 Post By rc81589
  • 1 Post By Just_Me_D
  • 1 Post By James Falconer
  • 1 Post By metllicamilitia
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default AirPod concern

Although I plan on getting a pair of the new Apple AirPods when they go on sale, I do have a concern. It was stated that they had a 5 hour continuous use before needing to be recharged. Does continuous use include simply being turned on or does it mean continuously listening to sounds coming from the AirPods. If the former, that's not a long time, in my opinion. Anyway, what are your thoughts about it?
    DarlaMack and Ariza16 like this.

Default Re: AirPod concern

In all honesty I think its LONG overdue that Apple made wireless listening devices. Not a big fan of the design because of the stems sticking down like that.
    iOSConvert2k14 likes this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by DarlaMack View Post
    In all honesty I think its LONG overdue that Apple made wireless listening devices. Not a big fan of the design because of the stems sticking down like that.
    At first glance, I was thinking the same thing and preferred that the stems be a tad shorter. Then I recall the ones I used to have years back that extended all the way to the front of the mouth with a big cotton ball looking mic...(laughing)....Now the AirPods look just fine as they are....
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    Although I plan on getting a pair of the new Apple AirPods when they go on sale, I do have a concern. It was stated that they had a 5 hour continuous use before needing to be recharged. Does continuous use include simply being turned on or does it mean continuously listening to sounds coming from the AirPods. If the former, that's not a long time, in my opinion. Anyway, what are your thoughts about it?
    I believe the time is of continuous listening. The infrared sensors know power them off when you removed them from your ear. You can also use one (Left only or Right only) at a time and essentially get 10hrs if you'd like to use them at work for example....
    Just_Me_D likes this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by rc81589 View Post
    I believe the time is of continuous listening. The infrared sensors know power them off when you removed them from your ear. You can also use one (Left only or Right only) at a time and essentially get 10hrs if you'd like to use them at work for example....
    Outstanding, and thank you...
    rc81589 likes this.
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    6,215 Global Posts

Yeah I believe it's listening time. I suspect the battery drain will be much less if the device is simply connected and not doing anything. Plus, when connected it looks like battery notifications and management is quite integrated. Should be good!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,726 Global Posts

It's a little disconcerting that they only have a 5 hour continuous use cycle. Most others have at least 8-10 hours now, that and they're still EarPods. While it's nice that they offer AirPods, I will not be getting them myself, especially not at that ungodly price. I can spend the same money elsewhere and get far better Bluetooth earphones.
    lawful73 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

It seems to me, they have a 5hr life span from the moment they exit their charging case. Because it seems like there is no "ON" button, so I'm guessing times starts ticking down from the moment they are taking of their charger.

I think it's 5 hours of use not total or stand by. My question is are they Bluetooth or another type of signal connection with the chip that's in them ?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,726 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    I think it's 5 hours of use not total or stand by. My question is are they Bluetooth or another type of signal connection with the chip that's in them ?
    Yes, Bluetooth but with a proprietary chip that supposedly has a stronger connection than Bluetooth alone.
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Ariza16 View Post
    It seems to me, they have a 5hr life span from the moment they exit their charging case. Because it seems like there is no "ON" button, so I'm guessing times starts ticking down from the moment they are taking of their charger.
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    6,215 Global Posts

I'd really like to try them out before buying (not sure if they'd let you!?) to see if they actually stay in my ears!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

I will buy the Airpods !

What would be cool is if we could use the carrying case of the Airpods to charge the iPhone sometime ?
    It would be very cool !
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    6,215 Global Posts

Use the AirPod case as a portable power station?
    iMore Pro

Does the air pod case have its own battery or must it be plugged in to the mains ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wotchered View Post
    Does the air pod case have its own battery or must it be plugged in to the mains ?
    They have their own batteries as well as a charging case that holds its own charge. You should only have to use a wire if the case needs recharging.
    iMore Pro

And how many charges will the case perform
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    6,215 Global Posts

^ That's a good question. Hopefully the charger lasts a long time!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wotchered View Post
    And how many charges will the case perform

With an adapter like USB to Lightning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1473444684.100774.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	111254
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Default AirPod concern

I wish Apple would have the ear buds, not pods, so they'd stay in my ears when I go running. I know the pods are more better looking, but I'm for function over aesthetics. I think they can find a way to do both. Also ear buds are better for noise cancelling from my experience.
    Last edited by Bob Garon; 09-11-2016 at 01:55 PM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

So IMHO it depends what you are using them for. If it's just listening then they are a decent option.

On the other hand I train on a heavy bag for kickboxing and use an interval timer on my phone and use the Wireless PowerBeats 2 in and around the ear with chord behind the neck and mic. They're great for running as well. Now if I'm having a conversation I'll probably use the adapter and use the EarPods so it's quite the quandary.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Here is a way that Apple Airpods could do almost all the important commands that a cable EarPods can do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1473611050.620694.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	473.6 KB 
ID:	111343
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Default AirPod concern

Wait I just remember when I listen to music with my Bluetooth headphone on my iPhone (6s) I can do all the Pause/play, Skip, Volume with my Apple Watch 0 !

The crown control the volume !

And I can also see what's playing !
    Last edited by Donkichot; 09-12-2016 at 12:17 AM.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

I would have thought that having to speak out loud (on a crowded subway? In a library) to advance tracks, raise volume etc would not be that much fun