iPhone Extra Storage

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6s + and it is 16gb model. I am aware that 16gb is NOT a lot of space to use on a daily basis. I understand that spending the extra money to buy the 32 or 64gb would have been the better choice. For now, I am stuck using the 16gb phone.

With that said, I am looking to increase the storage space on the phone. On the market, there is Sandisk iXpand, Leef iBridge, Mophie Space Pack, and others brand names.

Does anyone have any experience using any of those flash drives and is there one that is better than the others or are they all about the same? Also, I would want one that is Apple MfI certified.

Again, I know that spending the extra money to buy an iPhone with 32 or 64gb would have been the better choice. Later this year, I plan to upgrade to iPhone 7 with 32 or 64gb model.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you not take advantage of cloud services? iCloud Drive, Microsoft's OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, to name a few, are excellent places to store your data and thereby allowing you to save storage space on your device.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A couple things that help are 1. Keep the photos deleted in the "Recently Deleted" album. Those take up storage space.
2. Keep photos and videos deleted from the messages app.

facecard

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I know that photos and videos are the biggest culprit. In Message, I see the images I want to delete but it doesn't give the option to delete them. I am only able to delete a few of them. I would like to do a bulk delete. For example, if I go into Messages and select my wife, click on the I icon, I scroll down to Images, if I click and hold one image, the photo will get big but if I let it go and shrinks back to normal size. There is no option to delete. Oher images I can delete them.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
For example, if I go into Messages and select my wife, click on the I icon, I scroll down to Images, if I click and hold one image, the photo will get big but if I let it go and shrinks back to normal size. There is no option to delete. Oher images I can delete them.

Don't use force touch, hold one photo for 2 to 3 seconds and you will get an option for: Copy, Delete and More.
Choose for more, select all the photos you want to delete and hit the trash bin on the lower right of the screen.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Go to settings then Photos and Camera then choose Optimize iPhone storage. This will delete the photos off your device after it's uploaded to the cloud and you can access a smaller resolution of that photo and keep the original on the cloud.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings then Photos and Camera then choose Optimize iPhone storage. This will delete the photos off your device after it's uploaded to the cloud and you can access a smaller resolution of that photo and keep the original on the cloud.

That's assuming the OP uses iCloud Photo Library.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
That's assuming the OP uses iCloud Photo Library.

True. Good point.

If OP is low on storage, using that is the cheapest alternative and with no extra attachments to carry around. You get 5GB free which should be plenty. But OP wants to upgrade, $1/month for 50GB is what I do and it's worth it.