Power Bank Advice-MFI Certified Necessary?

May 8, 2017
Visit site
Looking to get a power bank for a trip and we will use it to charge two iPhone 7+'s and an iPad Air 2. I am looking for a descent answer as to what I need to protec
Looking to get a power bank for a trip and we will use it to charge two iPhone 7+'s and an iPad Air 2. I am looking for a descent answer as to what I need to protect our Apple devices.

I have read that some power banks are MFI certified while others are not (though the non certified banks still work with Apple devices). On top of this, the Apple site only sells Mophie (from what I can see) though these are not listed as MFI approved.

So long story short, I'm wondering what type of power bank I should be getting that is reliable, safe to charge our devices, but is also the most cost effective. What do I need to look for when buying?

Thanks

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
For something like a power bank, I would say getting one from an established, well known vendor that stands behind their product is more important than the MFi certification.

Personally, I'm a fan of Anker and Jackery. I've had a few of their battery banks in the past and they've been solid. Other tech sites seem to like Aukey although I've personally never owned any of their products.

May 8, 2017
Visit site
For something like a power bank, I would say getting one from an established, well known vendor that stands behind their product is more important than the MFi certification.

Personally, I'm a fan of Anker and Jackery. I've had a few of their battery banks in the past and they've been solid. Other tech sites seem to like Aukey although I've personally never owned any of their products.

Baker is definitely one I'm looking at. I had never heard of them before searching on Amazon, albeit the only one I had really heard of was Mophie.

Any benefit to a Mophie charger over Anker? The Anker is 1/3 of the price of a similar Mophie charger and I'm thinking about getting 2 (potentially) so a more affordable option is preferred.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have two power banks that I've been very happy with. I bought them a few years ago, and when looking on Amazon for their information, I think they are "obsolete"! So I found one on Amazon by Anker, that I would love to buy, but can't justify it at this point. Note: I always check reviews before making a purchase.

No matter what kind of power bank you purchase, you may want to purchase 2. And they will need to be recharged, but that should be easy enough to do. As far as being MFI approved, you can use your own cable with this charger.

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I have two power banks that I've been very happy with. I bought them a few years ago, and when looking on Amazon for their information, I think they are "obsolete"! So I found one on Amazon by Anker, that I would love to buy, but can't justify it at this point. Note: I always check reviews before making a purchase.

No matter what kind of power bank you purchase, you may want to purchase 2. And they will need to be recharged, but that should be easy enough to do. As far as being MFI approved, you can use your own cable with this charger.

So you've had good experiences with the Anker brand banks?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
So you've had good experiences with the Anker brand banks?

I have no experience with Anker power banks. The one that I am using currently is from a different manufacturer, and no long sold on Amazon. The one I shared with you is one that I would like to buy if I was in need of another one. I have saved it to my lists on Amazon just in case!

I do have two Anker cables, and am very happy with them. I have also read great reviews about Anker here on iMore.

Sorry for any confusion :)

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I have no experience with Anker power banks. The one that I am using currently is from a different manufacturer, and no long sold on Amazon. The one I shared with you is one that I would like to buy if I was in need of another one. I have saved it to my lists on Amazon just in case!

I do have two Anker cables, and am very happy with them. I have also read great reviews about Anker here on iMore.

Sorry for any confusion :)

My bad, I read your reply quickly and turned myself around.

The one I am looking at is this:

Anker PowerCore 20100 - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank with 4.8A Output, PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad and Samsung Galaxy and More (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X5RV14...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2938211

There is that and a similarly price refurbished Mophie. The Mophie isn't as much capacity (12k mah vs 20.1k mah).

What are people's thoughts, the Mophie or the Anker?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I just buy them from the convenience store. I have had multiple power banks over the years and never had any issues with my devices nor the power banks.

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I just buy them from the convenience store. I have had multiple power banks over the years and never had any issues with my devices nor the power banks.

And I have used various batteries on older devices before and never had issues, but this has been something I've wondered about for years. I don't want to cause any harm or damage to our Apple devices, and ultimately that is my biggest concern.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
And I have used various batteries on older devices before and never had issues, but this has been something I've wondered about for years. I don't want to cause any harm or damage to our Apple devices, and ultimately that is my biggest concern.

I've been a member of this forum since 2012 and I have yet to hear of someone whose device was damaged by charging using a reputable power bank. I think we are all probably safe at this point.

May 8, 2017
Visit site
Anyone have experience with the Amazon Basics power bank? Just found that as an option.

Also the "factory refurbished" Mophie banks are pretty cheap, any thoughts on this?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Like @Rob Phillips said, we're quite save.
Since most of the power banks are powered by lithium ion batteries themselves, they shouldn't be able to cause harm.

The built in safety features of the iPhone for charging are designed to pull as much juice as needed and not more.

But then again, it's your device, so my advice is to get something you feel okay with.

MrMike6by9

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been quite happy with this one from Monoprice --

Monoprice Select Series Portable Cell Phone Charger for Universal/Smartphones, 10,000mAh Power Bank, Black

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Anyone have experience with the Amazon Basics power bank? Just found that as an option.

Also the "factory refurbished" Mophie banks are pretty cheap, any thoughts on this?

Well, I may be a bit over-cautious, but I tend to stay away from factory-refurbished items. I confess that I have no real justification for this... it's just a feeling I have. I would go with one of the ones by Anker, as TripleOne suggested! :)

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Anker is a well known name and a brand I would trust. My brother has an Anker powercore 20000 and it works great. My next one will be an Anker

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73