Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By metllicamilitia
  • 1 Post By metllicamilitia
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,644 Global Posts

Default Thinking about AirPods? Save a few bucks

Apple wins, I just bought my first set of Bluetooth earphones, for nearly the price of a set of AirPods. Are they the greatest? Absolutely not, however for the usage and the cost of $149.99 as opposed to $159.99 for AirPods, they are fantastic and immensely greater than the AirPods could ever hope to be. I bought a pair of Jaybird Freedom Bluetooth earphones, for exactly the same price you can also get Jaybirds X2. I assume they are nearly identical. They also come with wire clips to tidy up what little cable connects the earpieces. They also come with small, medium, and large silicone ear tips as well as small, medium, and large Comply foam tips. The Comply foam tips were basically the selling point for me. Also unlike the AirPods, the Jaybird Freedom and X2 come with the familiar control module on the cable, allowing you to answer calls, change volume, everything you're used to. It even has a proprietary voice assistant to do these functions. They offer different size ear stabilizers for different size ears if you wish to wear them with the cable hanging down from your ears, they are unnecessary for wearing the cable over your ear (which reduces microphonics (cable scratching noises)). For $10 and tax less than the AirPods, I believe you are far better off getting some Jaybird's. One other note, audio quality was better than I anticipated.
    firedept10 and Annie_i6s like this.

Default Re: Thinking about AirPods? Save a few bucks

Thank you for your review. I'm sure other members will appreciate it.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    Apple wins, I just bought my first set of Bluetooth earphones, for nearly the price of a set of AirPods. Are they the greatest? Absolutely not, however for the usage and the cost of $149.99 as opposed to $159.99 for AirPods, they are fantastic and immensely greater than the AirPods could ever hope to be. I bought a pair of Jaybird Freedom Bluetooth earphones, for exactly the same price you can also get Jaybirds X2. I assume they are nearly identical. They also come with wire clips to tidy up what little cable connects the earpieces. They also come with small, medium, and large silicone ear tips as well as small, medium, and large Comply foam tips. The Comply foam tips were basically the selling point for me. Also unlike the AirPods, the Jaybird Freedom and X2 come with the familiar control module on the cable, allowing you to answer calls, change volume, everything you're used to. It even has a proprietary voice assistant to do these functions. They offer different size ear stabilizers for different size ears if you wish to wear them with the cable hanging down from your ears, they are unnecessary for wearing the cable over your ear (which reduces microphonics (cable scratching noises)). For $10 and tax less than the AirPods, I believe you are far better off getting some Jaybird's. One other note, audio quality was better than I anticipated.
    Ok so just to clarify, the ones you bought last 4 hours and have that little connector thing that charges it another 4 hours?
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,644 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RECON1 View Post
    Ok so just to clarify, the ones you bought last 4 hours and have that little connector thing that charges it another 4 hours?
    Nope, 8 hour battery life supposedly, plus a connector charger, I haven't been able to test it fully yet. And there's an app that allows you adjust the equalizer setting of the earphones themselves.

EDIT: It might be how you described it, I haven't tested yet though.
    RECON1 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

That's what I was getting confused about lol. I still haven't found a pair I want. I don't like over the ears and it's hard to find good in ear Bluetooth
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,644 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RECON1 View Post
    That's what I was getting confused about lol. I still haven't found a pair I want. I don't like over the ears and it's hard to find good in ear Bluetooth
    These are in ear, the cable can be run over or under ear though, under ear requires the ear wings to hold them in though.

Anyway, I'll run these earphones through their paces this weekend and right up a review. Initial impressions are better than expected.
    iMore Newbie

The Jaybirds are good earphone, but the customer support from Jaybirds is terrible. I had mine and thy worked pretty well, but after awhile the battery could not keep a proper charge.

After using them for awhile, they would report 60% battery life and then 10 minutes later they would report low battery and power off. I could only get a few hours out of them and the battery indicator was no use as it was not accurate.

I contacted Jaybirds support and they refused to repair or replace then under warranty. Very disappointed.

I took them back to Apple (where I purchased them), and they gave me a full refund no questions asked. Why did Apple have to resolve my issue when it is clearly a Jaybirds issue?

Poor customer service and support from Jaybirds means they have now lost a customer for life. The earbuds are good (when they work), but they refuse to stand by and support the product when a problem arises.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Do AIRPODS support other devices like blackberry or android devices ?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,889 Global Posts

Air pods should if I remember back from the keynote.

They are too pricey. Look at Bose, known to be good sounds and they have their bluetooth for $150. If much rather those.
    iMore Newbie

They do support regular Bluetooth just like the beats line up, but you don't get the battery life and easy pairing options on other devices.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Ease of use is my primary motivator,so for 10.00 bucks I'll take the (in house) over Sound quality