Do glass screen protectors REALLY offer best protection for your device?

TheyCallMeBriaN

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Zagg states that their HDX (non-glass) screen protector offers greater shatter protection than their glass protector and HDX is also the more marketed product on their website. These things gave me the idea that Zagg wants to push the sales of the HDX screen protector, an idea was further reinforced a thread on androidcentral titled "Bizarre email from Zagg about Tempered Glass"

I have always purchased Zagg's glass protector and have had three of my warranty replacements honored, one of which included free shipping because the product was installed with bubbles, so I know Zagg is a reputable company that produces a quality glass product. What perplexes me however, is why they push the sales of the HDX protector over the glass protector. Customers are currently more interested in glass, so glass protectors are what they will be looking at when comparing other manufacturers.

From this we can assume A: They are wanting to sell a more profitable product (at the expense of making the most purchase product appear inferior) or B: That the HDX (maybe other non-glass protectors as well) genuinely do offer better shatter protection.

My understanding of physics tells me that a less brittle product is more resilient to shattering which makes me lean towards B. If you remember correctly, glass screen protectors became popular because of their scratch resistance, shatter resistance was only a marginal benefit. And shatter resistance is what's the most important to me.

Considering all of this got my gears winding because I'm beginning to think that (while not entirely gimmicky) glass protectors may not be that much of a superior product after all. I would really like to hear some opinions especially from owners of the HDX and other non-glass protectors.

Last edited:

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I quit using screen protectors years ago. They are a waste of money, especially on modern flagship devices.

I did however try one (glass) when I bought my 6S. It was a waste of money and I only used it for a week because it interfered with my case.

gpo1956

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any personal experience with breakage, but from the videos I've seen, it appears the plastic ones are more protective than the glass.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Screen protectors don't really do much. They mostly protect against scratches and nicks. The best protection for drops is a decent protective case.

RichardJTesla

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I see the Tempered glass screen protectors work wonders everyday. I use the mirror Tempered glass on my 6s Plus. It's gorgeous and doesn't interfere with anything. I see people come in daily with broken screens, except it's the Tempered glass not the actual screen. To say they are useless is silly.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I quit using screen protectors years ago. They are a waste of money, especially on modern flagship devices.

I did however try one (glass) when I bought my 6S. It was a waste of money and I only used it for a week because it interfered with my case.

Also don't use them anymore and also believe they are a waste of money for me. Maybe for some they are beneficial, but not for me. I have wasted so much cash on them. My device looks better without a screen protector, it feels better, clarity is better. And I have yet to shatter my phone screen out of the 40+ smartphones I have owned over the years.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I use the HDX screen protectors to protect against scratches, they do it very well. Pockets full of keys and screws and odd small tools tend to scratch almost anything !!
I cannot imagine a very thin layer of deliberately weakened glass putting up with this treatment for even a day. Impact resistance of toughened glass has to be minimal, after all it is not designed for impact resistance, it's designed not to slice you up if it does break.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen evidence that glass protectors really do much. The current new screens on the 6s and 6s Plus have the best screens available. They're really difficult to scratch. A glass protector does add some extra protection from scratches. But I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that glass screen protectors help for drops. I've seen naked phones dropped with no damage. And I've seen phones with glass protectors dropped and the phone's screen shatters.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm pleased and happy to report that my iPhone 6s Plus "without" a screen protector since I purchased it (Oct 5 2015) is scratch free. This is the first time I haven't put a screen protector on my device since my Blackberry 8330. No microscopic scratches or anything. I am very pleased.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm pleased and happy to report that my iPhone 6s Plus "without" a screen protector since I purchased it (Oct 5 2015) is scratch free. This is the first time I haven't put a screen protector on my device since my Blackberry 8330. No microscopic scratches or anything. I am very pleased.

Teach me your ways, mines was full of scratches 2 days after screen protector removal.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Teach me your ways, mines was full of scratches 2 days after screen protector removal.

Mine is scratch free as well. Got it September 25th. 6s Plus. Use it everyday all day. I don't bang it around. When I put it in my pocket, I make sure it's alone. No keys or anything. I have forgotten a few times and put it with keys and change. No scratches. Are you putting it in a purse or bag? My wife carries monsters and gremlins in her purse. No telling what lurks there. I wouldn't want my phone in with that mess.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine is scratch free as well. Got it September 25th. 6s Plus. Use it everyday all day. I don't bang it around. When I put it in my pocket, I make sure it's alone. No keys or anything. I have forgotten a few times and put it with keys and change. No scratches. Are you putting it in a purse or bag? My wife carries monsters and gremlins in her purse. No telling what lurks there. I wouldn't want my phone in with that mess.

Gremlins and Monsters are known to cause havoc

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Nothing special. Just didn't scrape my iPhone face down on the pavement

My purse was brand new and I made sure nothing was in the pocket. Maybe my purse is just possessed or something.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector and I've never had a scratch. Screen protectors provide more piece of mind than actual protection IMO.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector and I've never had a scratch. Screen protectors provide more piece of mind than actual protection IMO.
I'm with you. For my iPhone 6S Plus I decided not to use a screen protector and I have been just fine for months. I would imagine that it is unnecessary for many.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you. For my iPhone 6S Plus I decided not to use a screen protector and I have been just fine for months. I would imagine that it is unnecessary for many.

They aren't needed for you and that's awesome. But working in wireless I've seen many iPhone 6 devices with scratches. Better to have one and not need it than to not have one and endure a scratch. I personally use one. And since I've got a glass protector and a case I'm not as worried about where I place my phone and what is in my pocket with it. It depends on the person. For some I'd say it's very worth it...and for others it may not be. I believe someone in this very thread mentioned having several scratches on their iPhone shortly after getting it. So these things aren't scratch proof. I feel much better knowing I'm protected just in case.