Is a keyboard really necessary?

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Are we just used to it...or is the combination of dictation and on screen keyboard enough?

I just read this article - citing on of the reasons schools are switching to Chromebook is the lack of a keyboard on an iPad.
Schools lament shortcomings of Apple's iPad as some opt instead for Chromebooks

For me personally, I don't miss a keyboard in the least, as I stated above, the combination of dictation and the onscreen keyboard work perfectly, whether it's a multi page document or simple replies.

How's everyone else feel about it? :raised-eyebrow:

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
A keyboard is more convenient and especially in education or business settings where using dictation is not a viable option

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A keyboard can be necessary. For people who cannot speak well or clearly, dictation may not be a viable option. Personally, I use dictation as well as both virtual and physical keyboards with my i-devices. It has always been easier for me to write / type down my thoughts than to speak them. Anyway, that's my two cents...:)

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't find a keyboard necessary for most of the day to day stuff I do on my iPhone/iPad... but I do find that filling out longer forms or writing longer emails, etc. def make me hop onto my computer for the keyboard. So for that kind of stuff, I could see that it would be useful

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I prefer a keyboard but figure I am just part of the old guard. I like the physical feedback of pressing keys over a touch screen and will use them every time if I have an option.

My kind will be extinct within a generation or so after all the kids that have had tablets since they were in diapers grow up.

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I have gotten to the point where the only time I need a keyboard in when using Excel. Navigating around those little cells can be very time consuming without the tab / arrows on a physical keyboard.

Last edited:

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
For working or schoolwork, a keyboard is a big plus. Typing out long papers, doing reports in excel, putting together presentations, all these thing work better with a keyboard and mouse. Ipad is great for 80% of things, but a keyboard and mouse helps sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
A physical keyboard isn't necessary for me. I can type just fine on the screen, however, it is a lot easier to type on a physical keyboard and I'm a lot faster. When I'm at work, I use the bluetooth keyboard. When I'm at home, I use the onscreen keyboard. This has been a good setup for me. But if I didn't have a keyboard, I could get along just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes a keyboard would be needed for education. Typing an email with the onscreen keyboard is fine but typing a report would be brutal and take forever.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh