Otterbox Defender Case for iPhone and Battery Life/Problems

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone had any problems with their battery when using the Otterbox Defender on their iPhone? I am just asking because I have an iPhone 5 with a Defender for 5S case on it, and I am wondering if it causes the battery to have less life, or to degrade faster? I received my replacement iphone 5 from Apple on January and this past Monday I went to Apple and had the battery replaced (paid out of pocket) because with 126 charges it had 1123 mah left, also it did not seem to last as long, around 4 hrs of usage.

My theory is maybe by using the Otterbox Defender, or I guess any of the "enclosed" cases such as Lifeproof and so on, that when charging, and being used the phone is heating up more, and everything I have read, heat is the number one killer for the battery.

What does everyone think? Is there anyone who uses the Defender or similar case getting "good" battery life and not having any problems? I do like the case because it feels like I have a better grip of the phone, and I guess I don't have to worry about it as much, but if the battery is going to be damaged because of it I am not sure what to do!

donemt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I have OtterBox cases, Lifeproof cases and Seidio ones that have never caused a problem with my 5s battery life or overheating.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The case shouldn't make a difference. Most times when your phone heats up when charging or from heavy use is something that Apple has actually designed. They make the heat go to the outside of the phone rather than stay internal because if it stayed internal then you can probably guess what would happen. But back on topic no the cases won't affect battery life

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much everyone! I was just checking because the guy at the apple store in buffalo ny said cases cause the battery to heat up since there is nowhere for the heat to escape.. I thought he might have a point because on apples website it says to increase capacity and longevity of the battery to remove cases since heat hurts them.. No way am I taking an otterbox off every night.. Lol

Noor Vasaya

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same issue since I got the Otterbox defender case for my iPhone 5s. I now have to charge twice a day where I use to get by all day with a single full-charge. My theory is that it is charging okay but needs more power to communicate with the cell towers due to the added protective layer. This is causing the phone to work harder using more energy (juice) than usual. I am going to experiment by removing the case for few days. I suggest you do the same and see if it helps. It's a waste of $40 as I can't return this. Hope Ottter has a solution perhaps something (sticky conductor) that can aid the signal to radiate without impeding.

EntrepreNoor

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue since I got the Otterbox defender case for my iPhone 5s. I now have to charge twice a day where I use to get by all day with a single full-charge. My theory is that it is charging okay but needs more power to communicate with the cell towers due to the added protective layer. This is causing the phone to work harder using more energy (juice) than usual. I am going to experiment by removing the case for few days. I suggest you do the same and see if it helps. It's a waste of $40 as I can't return this. Hope Ottter has a solution perhaps something (sticky conductor) that can aid the signal to radiate without impeding.

EntrepreNoor

When these phones get to about 2 years old, they do start to show battery wear. My iP 5 is 2 years old. The battery is in pretty bad shape. It's hanging in there though. And I have used it pretty heavy for the 2 years, as I'm retired. Has my Otterbox Defender hindered the battery? Maybe a little, but not much. It's never heated so much that the heat warning shows. I can tell it gets warm. I'll upgrade in September and buy a new battery for this 5 and use it as back up.