Back-integrate iPhone 5 with devices using 30-pin connector

mooch91

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
All,

I've just recently moved to an iPhone 5 for my phone. I've been a long-time iPod user and have many devices that integrate with the iPod via the 30-pin connector (two car stereos, external speakers, stereo docks, etc.).

When I both my iPhone, I also picked up the genuine Apple 30-pin-to-lightning adapter cable which essentially allows me to plug my iPhone in to these devices to play my music collection, Pandora, etc. through the device. It seems to work well on the couple of devices I've tried.

I have a couple of questions, though, that maybe you can help with:
  1. The only real issue I've noted with the adapter is that some of my devices will charge the iPhone, some won't. In all cases, these devices charge the iPod just fine, but for some reason only some of them will charge the iPhone when connected through the 30-pin-to-lightning adapter. Can anyone provide insight - is this a result of the proprietary nature of Apple's connections and cables and the outcome of an incompatible cable (although the iPhone never indicates any incompatibility), or is this, instead, a result of how some devices power the 30-pin connector, with some doing it in a way that doesn't work with the lightning connector?
  2. I'm thinking it would be nice to convert these car stereos, docks, etc. to receive signal from the iPhone over Bluetooth instead of the cable. When I look online, I see many different adapters that plug in to the 30-pin connector on a device (car stereo, for example) and will pair up with the iPhone over Bluetooth. Any recommendations for finding one of these Bluetooth adapters that will work for sure, especially in light of issue #1 above?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
All,

I've just recently moved to an iPhone 5 for my phone. I've been a long-time iPod user and have many devices that integrate with the iPod via the 30-pin connector (two car stereos, external speakers, stereo docks, etc.).

When I both my iPhone, I also picked up the genuine Apple 30-pin-to-lightning adapter cable which essentially allows me to plug my iPhone in to these devices to play my music collection, Pandora, etc. through the device. It seems to work well on the couple of devices I've tried.

I have a couple of questions, though, that maybe you can help with:
  1. The only real issue I've noted with the adapter is that some of my devices will charge the iPhone, some won't. In all cases, these devices charge the iPod just fine, but for some reason only some of them will charge the iPhone when connected through the 30-pin-to-lightning adapter. Can anyone provide insight - is this a result of the proprietary nature of Apple's connections and cables and the outcome of an incompatible cable (although the iPhone never indicates any incompatibility), or is this, instead, a result of how some devices power the 30-pin connector, with some doing it in a way that doesn't work with the lightning connector?
  1. Whether or not its the "result of the proprietary nature of Apple's connections", I cannot say, but I do know that what you are experiencing is typical.
    [*]I'm thinking it would be nice to convert these car stereos, docks, etc. to receive signal from the iPhone over Bluetooth instead of the cable. When I look online, I see many different adapters that plug in to the 30-pin connector on a device (car stereo, for example) and will pair up with the iPhone over Bluetooth. Any recommendations for finding one of these Bluetooth adapters that will work for sure, especially in light of issue #1 above?
Thanks in advance for helping me understand!
I can't speak in regard to adapters, however, my car can stream music via Bluetooth or via the USB cable (lightning cable, in my regard).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711