Anyone use charging docks/stands?

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
The Twelve South Charging stand works with a multitude of cases (3 adaptors) even the Otterbox Defender, but I'm not sure about the LP case

The Elevation Dock works with Otterbox and a few other large cases too. The LP is the only case I have used that does not work because of the non removable door latch. Come to think of it, I should probably sell the Dock since it has gone unused for almost a year now.

stonerman33

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the EverDock Duo when it was on StackSocial. Charges my 5S in the KarasKustoms Alloy5 case and my Retina Mini in a Seidio Dilex case. It sticks to my night stand with "micro suction" so inserting and removing is easily accomplished one handed.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd love the HiRise, not just for the tasteful name you understand . ;)

However, it is too tall to fit on my desk under one of my monitors so I need a dock that will take a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case that is lower profile. The problem is I need to test a dock first as the last one I tried, which I was assured would fit, didn't.

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Surprisingly, the stock iPhone dock is extremely good. The only fundamental flaw that is VERY easily fixed is that it's very light so when you pick up the phone the dock lights up with it.

I used a small patch of carpet tape (great alternative to double sided tape) to stick the dock to my desk so I can easily dock/undock with one hand. I was surprised that it's actually super easy to take the phone in/out. I don't have to sit there and line up the port or anything, I can do it with my eyes closed or in the dark. Additionally, the stock dock actually has the Wolfson WM8533 DAC (Digital to Analog Convertor, same as the one used in the male lightning to 30pin official adapter) which is the only way to get true line out (i.e bypassing the amp section of the iPhone in favor of a better external one) from the iPhone. Not that I use that feature as I have much better sound sources than the iPhone but it's nice to have I suppose.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Surprisingly, the stock iPhone dock is extremely good. The only fundamental flaw that is VERY easily fixed is that it's very light so when you pick up the phone the dock lights up with it.

I used a small patch of carpet tape (great alternative to double sided tape) to stick the dock to my desk so I can easily dock/undock with one hand. I was surprised that it's actually super easy to take the phone in/out. I don't have to sit there and line up the port or anything, I can do it with my eyes closed or in the dark. Additionally, the stock dock actually has the Wolfson WM8533 DAC (Digital to Analog Convertor, same as the one used in the male lightning to 30pin official adapter) which is the only way to get true line out (i.e bypassing the amp section of the iPhone in favor of a better external one) from the iPhone. Not that I use that feature as I have much better sound sources than the iPhone but it's nice to have I suppose.

I'm glad you like your "stock" iPhone dock, but I wouldn't say it was extremely good. The Twelve South HiRise Charging Stand is MUCH better in build and materials (quality) ....IMHO

Scorpion667

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
"MICH better in build"
Can you expand? From my observations, all surfaces are flat, there are no gaps in the construction and the lightning jack and line out have no alignment issues. The build is flawless in every sense of the word.

As far as materials you have a point, I tend to prefer metal as well. My WooAudio 2x headphone stand is also aluminium and the finish on the hiRise actually matches it perfectly. The only issue was that the dock was too tall for my config below:

Looking at my setup:
900x900px-LL-f08cefc8_Photo1-21-201490659AM.jpeg

You see the gap between the keyboard and the monitor base? I wanted a dock that would fit in that spot without elevating the phone above the bottom portion of the LCD as not to obstruct my view. My reasoning was that if I have to take my eyes off my monitor for a split second to see a notification on my phone, I can easily look back up instantly if it's not important, as not to break focus from my tasks unless needed. The Hi-Rise would obstruct my view to the monitor when I have my chair all the way down =(

I also sense that I would struggle getting the phone in on the hiRise at the odd times where I'm not the most sober as there's no side walls to guide the phone. I dunno, friday nights at 4AM half drunk after 6 hours of dancing I'm not the most coordinated cookie. For the stock dock I just hold the phone 45 degrees and go sideways until the side of the phone hits the inner side of dock, straighten it out and its a perfect fit every time. I dunno I like these systems to be fool proof haha!

I can definitely see the aesthetics appeal of the hiRise however. It's a nice looking accessory. If they make one shorter in height I may consider it as the finish PERFECTLY matches my headphone stand which is also a matte aluminium =P

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
WOW...Looking at your photo, I really need to CLEAN my desk....LOL. What are you OCD or something....SMILE

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Still using my Twelve South HiRise Charging Dock. It even looks better with my 6Plus sitting on it

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm seriously considering purchasing another one in Black. The Black wasn't available when I first purchased my silver one. The Black HiRise would look great on my desk.

Sent from my iPhone 6Plus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods