iPhone 5S Otterbox Alternatives

eradicator2k14

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Let me first say that this is my 10th (TENTH) iPhone since owning my first one in 2006. Some have been dropped, several ran over, one in a pool, several sent backdue to hardware issues...destruction.

I put an Otterbox Defender on my 5S three weeks ago. The rubber outer layer is already starting to tear and this phone hasnt been through anything compared to its predecessors!

Anyone have any suggestions for a sturdy 5S case for klutz like myself without making it look like I'm carrying military equipment around (read: I don't want a brick for a phone case).

Any and all suggestions welcome!

jmendel33

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Let me first say that this is my 10th (TENTH) iPhone since owning my first one in 2006. Some have been dropped, several ran over, one in a pool, several sent backdue to hardware issues...destruction.

I put an Otterbox Defender on my 5S three weeks ago. The rubber outer layer is already starting to tear and this phone hasnt been through anything compared to its predecessors!

Anyone have any suggestions for a sturdy 5S case for klutz like myself without making it look like I'm carrying military equipment around (read: I don't want a brick for a phone case).

Any and all suggestions welcome!

I purchased the lifeproof fre for my 5s and ive been very happy with it so far

eradicator2k14

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I looked into the LifeProof cases and they look very promising! One of my friends has one on his 4S and says he would go with no other case after that. Only downside is LifeProofs are 80 bucks. I guess you can't put a price on piece of mind.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I looked into the LifeProof cases and they look very promising! One of my friends has one on his 4S and says he would go with no other case after that. Only downside is LifeProofs are 80 bucks. I guess you can't put a price on piece of mind.

If you don't use the touch id you can get one of the versions for the iPhone 5 that works with the 5S for about half the normal price on amazon and sites like that.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I use LifeProof on my iPhone 5 and I love it. LifeProof or nothin!

I just bought a Lifeproof case for my 5S. I didn't get the new model that has the touch ID compatibility because I didn't like the way it feels. So I got the older one and I really like it. I bought one for my wife and she said that it was difficult to type on, but I'm not having any trouble with the screen protector so I'm going to keep it. So far so good. I didn't like the fact that you have to unscrew the nob to get to the headphone jack. But I guess the price you pay for having a fully protected device.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If you're looking for something that's similar to the Otterbox defender, give the Speck Tough Duo a try. It's a silicon outer layer and TPU-ish material on the inside. You can also use the inner layer as a stand alone case (granted it's pretty cheap). Were vacationing this week and flew a lot this past weekend. This case was great. Used the included belt clip, put my phone in screen side in and kept it in my carry on. Excellent case so far. Only drawback is you can't use the Touch ID feature. I also scooped up a UAG case for $10 last week on Amazon. Going to give that a try when we get back home.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought the Lifeproof Fre from Best Buy and the touch ID is very inconsistent. Read reviews after my purchase and many say the same thing. I'll return it today.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Lifeproof Fre from Best Buy and the touch ID is very inconsistent. Read reviews after my purchase and many say the same thing. I'll return it today.

I feel like any waterproof case that has something covering the home button isn't going to be very consistent. I mean I guess you have to choose, either waterproof, or ability to use Touch ID. I mean it wouldn't work under water anyway, same way the screen doesn't.

nabans

Banned
Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
This might sound stupid, but I never had any reason to get an Otterbox Alternative. I have a LifeProof and its awesome. Give it a shot and make sure you purchase it through Amazon so that you would be able to return it if not satisfied.

dobermansrule

May 23, 2013
Visit site
This might sound stupid, but I never had any reason to get an Otterbox Alternative. I have a LifeProof and its awesome. Give it a shot and make sure you purchase it through Amazon so that you would be able to return it if not satisfied.

I personally wouldn't purchase a LifeProof through Amazon because of the risk of it being fake.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I personally wouldn't purchase a LifeProof through Amazon because of the risk of it being fake.

Agree. More likely and safer to buy from a retailer (like best buy, target, walmart) that way if you have any issues you can return it, and also know that it will be authentic and not a fake.

dcharleyultra

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

Touch ID on my nuud is pretty consistent.

However, bringing up the Control Center isn't - even when touching the case just over the Home button first.

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
For you, LifeProof is the way to go. Guarantee it'll last you until it's time to buy a new iPhone.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2