ZaggFolio Case for iPad Mini Review

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Review: The ZaggFolio Case for iPad Mini is a great keyboard case option for the iPad Mini.The keys feel great to type on and the keyboard layout is truly that of a standard keyboard. Rather than be plasticky or metallic, the keys are more rubberized and still have a satisfying click when you click on them. I was worried about spacing and my ability to type because some of the space is sacrificed for a dedicated number row and a dedicated function row. The function row is comprised of a home button, lock screen button, Siri button, virtual keyboard toggle, copy, paste, music controls, and volume controls. The number row is a typical number row like you will find on any standard keyboard. Every key is where you would expect to find it as well. The Caps Lock and Tab buttons are combined into the same mini key to the left of the A key. There is a battery indicator light as well, which is a very useful thing to have. On top of that there is a backlight to the keys that can be turned on or off, it has multiple colors as well as multiple brightness settings. One thing I like more about the folio case as opposed to a straight cover keyboard is the ability to have more control over the angle of the iPad. Now I can easily see what I'm doing no matter where or how I'm using the case. There are tiny bumpers on all four corners of the keyboard side to prevent the iPad from resting on the keys themselves.

Build Quality: The outside of the case is a faux leather, it's soft and rubberized, and it feels great in the hand. As said all the keys feel great as well, the backlight for the keys are perfectly placed and don't shine out anywhere other than from underneath the keys. The hinge works magnificently, my only concerns are that it seems loose when open (probably due to the iPad being in it), and right by the hinge on the keyboard side when closed, the case does flex a little bit. But that's more of a pet peeve than anything. My biggest gripe though, is the difficulty in using the bottom of the screen when in the case. If you bring down notification center it's a bit of a pain to swipe it closed, and hitting send on a message or any bottom controls can be difficult to use. Overall though, I give it a 9/10, it's a great keyboard and given the minor things I would still highly recommend this case.

Pros:
Lightweight
Feels great
Protective
Angle control
Backlit keys

Cons:
Hinge is a little loose when open
Using the bottom of the iPad screen can be difficult
Has a little bit of flex in the case

Bottom Line: Given price matching or if the store you buy it from has it for a similar price, the $70 price tag that I paid for this case is a great price to pay for such a great case. While it's still netbook sized, the keys actually have some nice spacing between them and regular to small hands can type on it with no problem, but larger hands would probably still have some issue. If you're in the market for a full case for your iPad Mini and a keyboard to boot, I would highly recommend this case. It's amazing.

e6emudu7.jpg

re2ezy3e.jpg

uty9u7uv.jpg

anumyqu8.jpg

ezyheqeh.jpg

6azy8ynu.jpg

4ebagy6e.jpg

u9ynaze6.jpg

gytydymu.jpg

2y5ugyna.jpg

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got one from my job the other day. I really like the keyboard. It feels really good to type on . I threw away the instructions so I don't know how to change the color of the backlighting, but it looks cool from the above pictures. My iPad seems to be secure in it, but it doesn't look like it is because it is held in by a little plastic tab on the top. I wish it sat a little more flush inside the case. It's a little top heavy too, but that hasn't been a real problem. Now mine is for the Air, maybe that's why it is a little different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the review. Looks GREAT, makes me want to go out a buy a iPad Mini if just for the KOOL looking ZaggFolio case....SMILE

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got one from my job the other day. I really like the keyboard. It feels really good to type on . I threw away the instructions so I don't know how to change the color of the backlighting, but it looks cool from the above pictures. My iPad seems to be secure in it, but it doesn't look like it is because it is held in by a little plastic tab on the top. I wish it sat a little more flush inside the case. It's a little top heavy too, but that hasn't been a real problem. Now mine is for the Air, maybe that's why it is a little different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The iPad Air one is slightly different Allyson did a review of it with video, so just Google iMore ZaggFolio review and it should pop up. But I believe you have a single button to change LED's and another to change brightness level, though I'm not 100% sure.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Review: The ZaggFolio Case for iPad Mini is a great keyboard case option for the iPad Mini.The keys feel great to type on and the keyboard layout is truly that of a standard keyboard. Rather than be plasticky or metallic, the keys are more rubberized and still have a satisfying click when you click on them. I was worried about spacing and my ability to type because some of the space is sacrificed for a dedicated number row and a dedicated function row. The function row is comprised of a home button, lock screen button, Siri button, virtual keyboard toggle, copy, paste, music controls, and volume controls. The number row is a typical number row like you will find on any standard keyboard. Every key is where you would expect to find it as well. The Caps Lock and Tab buttons are combined into the same mini key to the left of the A key. There is a battery indicator light as well, which is a very useful thing to have. On top of that there is a backlight to the keys that can be turned on or off, it has multiple colors as well as multiple brightness settings. One thing I like more about the folio case as opposed to a straight cover keyboard is the ability to have more control over the angle of the iPad. Now I can easily see what I'm doing no matter where or how I'm using the case. There are tiny bumpers on all four corners of the keyboard side to prevent the iPad from resting on the keys themselves.

Build Quality: The outside of the case is a faux leather, it's soft and rubberized, and it feels great in the hand. As said all the keys feel great as well, the backlight for the keys are perfectly placed and don't shine out anywhere other than from underneath the keys. The hinge works magnificently, my only concerns are that it seems loose when open (probably due to the iPad being in it), and right by the hinge on the keyboard side when closed, the case does flex a little bit. But that's more of a pet peeve than anything. My biggest gripe though, is the difficulty in using the bottom of the screen when in the case. If you bring down notification center it's a bit of a pain to swipe it closed, and hitting send on a message or any bottom controls can be difficult to use. Overall though, I give it a 9/10, it's a great keyboard and given the minor things I would still highly recommend this case.

Pros:
Lightweight
Feels great
Protective
Angle control
Backlit keys

Cons:
Hinge is a little loose when open
Using the bottom of the iPad screen can be difficult
Has a little bit of flex in the case

Bottom Line: Given price matching or if the store you buy it from has it for a similar price, the $70 price tag that I paid for this case is a great price to pay for such a great case. While it's still netbook sized, the keys actually have some nice spacing between them and regular to small hands can type on it with no problem, but larger hands would probably still have some issue. If you're in the market for a full case for your iPad Mini and a keyboard to boot, I would highly recommend this case. It's amazing.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/e6emudu7.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/re2ezy3e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/uty9u7uv.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/anumyqu8.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/ezyheqeh.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/6azy8ynu.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/4ebagy6e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/u9ynaze6.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/gytydymu.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/23/2y5ugyna.jpg

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

I am seriously considering this for my iPad Air. I hate toting around my Macbook Pro and I take my iPad Air with me to school daily and when using the notes app, using the screen keyboard gets really annoying, especially when my professor is rapid firing PP slides and I can't catch up.

Only gripe I had when checking one out in the store was that the shell seemed so cheap. I am still holding out for the Clamcase Pro. Hopefully it hits next month.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The iPad Air one is slightly different Allyson did a review of it with video, so just Google iMore ZaggFolio review and it should pop up. But I believe you have a single button to change LED's and another to change brightness level, though I'm not 100% sure.

I found the setting to change the LED colors. Funny thing is, after I figured out how to do it (YouTube) I haven't had the urge to change the color from the original color it was before I learned how to change it.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I want to get one for my Mini as well, but I'm not sure. I need to go to the store and test out the keyboard to see if it is too cramped or not. I know it isn't going to be as spacious as my iPad Air, but if it is anything close, I will definitely get one. In my opinion, Zagg makes the best keyboards for the iPad than anyone else in the market. Being backlit and on a hinge are awesome features.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up one today. So far so good. It is a little cramped, but on the whole it is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I really think that with some use, I can get accustomed to the size. It does make a weird springy sound when I type on the keyboard, but I can live with that.

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina w/Zagg bluetooth keyboard.

Bradley Spence

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Great review! I agree with it 100%. The hinge does feel a little loose. It can actually loosen up over time so if it starts getting too loose, just give ZAGG a call at 1-800-700-ZAGG(9244) and they'll mail you a new one. I'm don't think I'm suppose to say anything but this fall ZAGG is coming out with a couple new keyboards that blow the older models out of the water. I went to a product launch event not too long ago and was very impressed with the new prototypes.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2