Why no Smart Case for iPhone?

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
After several days with my iPad Air and the official Smart Cover from Apple, I wonder why a similar flip case isn't available for the iPhone. I'd love a flip case that covers the screen, and wakes the phone from standby upon opening. Functioning as a kickstand would be cool as well, but I could take or leave that particular feature.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Don't how practical or how much protection it would be. But the functioning of it would be pretty cool. It's a good thought.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I've thought about this too, and I think it boils down to the case being too flimsy with the really thin pieces that bend, having magnets strong enough would difficult as well.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I've thought about this too, and I think it boils down to the case being too flimsy with the really thin pieces that bend, having magnets strong enough would difficult as well.

And protection wise, would be loss some, but the idea of the kick stand is interesting.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking more along the lines of a smart case. Not just the front cover, but the full body case, with the front cover flap. So, picture the current official Apple leather case, with a front flip cover.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking more along the lines of a smart case. Not just the front cover, but the full body case, with the front cover flap. So, picture the current official Apple leather case, with a front flip cover.

That may work better, but I'm still not sure the current flip procedure would work for the kickstand portion.

P@t

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
When Apple releases an accessory, they go for the most adoption/sell through in addition to practicality. They must have considered or even made some prototypes at some point, but decided that it just didn't make sense. Either from a financial standpoint (ROI) or user experience.

When I see Samsung users with that cover, it seems clumsy and not very well thought out. Twelve South and others have made smart type covers for iPhone, but the reception/sell through was limited.

That's probably why Apple has not done it.