Smart Cover doesn't line up on new iPad Air

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Just as the title says. I purchased a new iPad Air (I'm loving it) and a new Smart Cover. However, I noticed that the Smart Cover doesn't line up well with the iPad Air leaving a portion of the bottom edge of the bezel exposed while hanging over an equivalent portion of the upper part of the screen. I'm just read that some others are noticing this as well. Apparently the issue is with the magnets inside the iPad Air and not with the Smart Cover. Has anyone else here noticed this with their iPad Air and Smart Cover?

I've made a Genius Bar appointment for this Friday to have them look at it.

Sarcone

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
I tried 3 different smart covers and none of them lined up right on mine. But I decided to return my 32gb and get the 64gb, since I was running out of room and didn't want to shuffle things back and forth. On my new 64gb, the smart cover that didn't line up previously is now perfect.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I tried 3 different smart covers and none of them lined up right on mine. But I decided to return my 32gb and get the 64gb, since I was running out of room and didn't want to shuffle things back and forth. On my new 64gb, the smart cover that didn't line up previously is now perfect.

Which fits with what I have read, that the problem is with the magnets inside some iPad Airs.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I think based on what I have read that they will have to exchange the iPad Air unless somehow my Smart Cover is actually the problem.

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
All of my iPads/smart covers have done this by a tiny bit. Just slide the cover, unless it's a significant amount. I'm talking millimeters.

rrmac1912

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here, Smart Cover is off and bottom of screen/bezel is exposed. Looks like an issue with Magnet alignment on some iPad Airs, I'll have to try to return/exchange as soon as I have some time.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, strange, I noticed I have two places on my Mini that my Smart Cover can connect to. One is centered and the other is not. Could that maybe be the issue?

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Well I went to my Genius Bar appointment today. I showed them the problem. They brought out a bunch of Smart a Covers and none lined up properly. We then tried all the covers on their display iPad Airs and they were perfect. OK so we decided that I would do a return and get a new iPad Air. Well would you believe that the new one had the exact same problem? Crazy, we couldn't believe it. I told them that I wouldn't want to take that one even though the unit had been sold to me. We agreed that if the next one had the same problem that they would make a note in my file and that I would return in one month to exchange it then as maybe they had a bad batch. Well fortunately the next new one was perfect. So I know that my first iPad Air wasn't a fluke, but what were the chances that my replacement would have the same problem? Anyhow, I've set up my new iPad Air again and I'm happy once again. They all agreed that the alignment should be perfect, it's not like Apple would design it to be off.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I went to my Genius Bar appointment today. I showed them the problem. They brought out a bunch of Smart a Covers and none lined up properly. We then tried all the covers on their display iPad Airs and they were perfect. OK so we decided that I would do a return and get a new iPad Air. Well would you believe that the new one had the exact same problem? Crazy, we couldn't believe it. I told them that I wouldn't want to take that one even though the unit had been sold to me. We agreed that if the next one had the same problem that they would make a note in my file and that I would return in one month to exchange it then as maybe they had a bad batch. Well fortunately the next new one was perfect. So I know that my first iPad Air wasn't a fluke, but what were the chances that my replacement would have the same problem? Anyhow, I've set up my new iPad Air again and I'm happy once again. They all agreed that the alignment should be perfect, it's not like Apple would design it to be off.

Wow that's bizarre. Glad it worked out in the end.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Based on the replies in Apple's support forums, I'd say that this is a rare problem, or at least one that the small number of owners affected haven't noticed yet. But I was really shocked as were the Apple employees in the store when the replacement iPad Air had the same problem. Anyhow, I just wanted to bring this issue to everyone's attention on iMore should someone else have the same thing. They should know that it is a known defect and that they should return their iPad Air rather than live with it.

bilbomacuser

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Mine is off by about 2-3mm so I can just see the white at one end and an obvious overhang at the other. I returned it to an Apple Store and they agreed it was a fault (my cover fitted perfectly on the display models) but because they didn't have a replacement in stock suggested I went back to John Lewis where I had purchased it. John Lewis quickly agreed to replace it, but I asked to check the cover with the replacement. It wasn't quite as bad but similar to the one I was returning. They tried to suggest that the covers could move around, and slid it into a better position but I declined the replacement. I went back to the Apple Store and tried the covers myself - a whole pile of covers were off with my ipad, and my cover fitted fine on the display ipad. So Apple have ordered me a replacement but I have to wait. Hopefully their replacement will be ok.

Dr George_M

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm it. Same problem. I noticed this "minor imperfection" as soon as I got the new smart cover. I find this flaw irritating, simply because the cost is really high and you just expect the very high quality / standards.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm it. Same problem. I noticed this "minor imperfection" as soon as I got the new smart cover. I find this flaw irritating, simply because the cost is really high and you just expect the very high quality / standards.

If you don't like it, let Apple know by taking it back. It could be that you just got a defective one, though. It happens.....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2